Sign in to follow this  
meiyeeer

Choosing An Epic Homeserver

Which epic server would be better for someone who just want a small little place and not be bothered as they train up a little?

Also, where can I find the lore on the various kingdoms (wurm articles are stubs), and what's the general difference between the communities? I'm mostly wondering about the difference between MR and JK, since I hate the look of mycelium, but will consider hots if it's benefits are substantial.

jk is pretty fun, but the people on the home servers never want to defend it.. mr on the other hand will always defend their home server but not many mr live in elevation currently

Other than which priests can champ (Mag, Fo etc), weapon preferences (sword vs maul) and graphics there's no real difference in MR and JK from a lore perspective. You might look at the wiki and towers to see some of the graphical differences between the two.

Some folks will claim personality differences between MR and JK players but I personally think it's bunk, kind of like Chicago Bears fans claiming Green Bay Packer fans are a bunch of cheese eating pinheads, but completely unlike them claiming Dallas Cowboy fans are inbred idiots which is actually true.

• Like 1

Im living in JK and i must say that pvp is practically non existant, so it is highly unlikely that you will get killed by any player, unless you are an outlaw :P

It could be different if you do have a deed, as hots sometimes do drain deeds that are easy to reach, tho if you are living in undeeded village theres completely nothing that will bother you

Having a deed in JKH can be troublesome because there is no defending force, pretty much all pvp fans are in JKE

Edited by Dejavu

You can butcher human corpses and eat the dead on Affliction, do I need to say anymore? ;)

Other than which priests can champ (Mag, Fo etc), weapon preferences (sword vs maul) and graphics there's no real difference in MR and JK from a lore perspective. You might look at the wiki and towers to see some of the graphical differences between the two.

Some folks will claim personality differences between MR and JK players but I personally think it's bunk, kind of like Chicago Bears fans claiming Green Bay Packer fans are a bunch of cheese eating pinheads, but completely unlike them claiming Dallas Cowboy fans are inbred idiots which is actually true.

Wait, which one prefers sword, which prefers maul? I'm curious :D

Im living in JK and i must say that pvp is practically non existant, so it is highly unlikely that you will get killed by any player, unless you are an outlaw :P

It could be different if you do have a deed, as hots sometimes do drain deeds that are easy to reach, tho if you are living in undeeded village theres completely nothing that will bother you

Having a deed in JKH can be troublesome because there is no defending force, pretty much all pvp fans are in JKE

JKH has a defence force, but it is only 1 village out of the dozens of others there is, since JK has had dramatic changes (like the old JK defenders made their own kingdom) there is a big gap, but there's atleast a strong village to defend it, and many more rising.

BLH -dont have to eat, alot of mobs to grind up on etc etc

Edited by pierre93

I once started an alt on Serenity and made my way to the south coast, built a house, farm, etc and in all that time never saw another person in local. So if you're like me and like being a loner, Serenity was nice.

Is there plenty of land on all the home servers, or are any like most freedom servers and made of abandoned shacks and half caved in mines?

Is there plenty of land on all the home servers, or are any like most freedom servers and made of abandoned shacks and half caved in mines?

Plenty of real estate available on Serenity, especially when you think of abandoned places as a good thing (even if the wall is half decayed and has gaps in it, it can safe you from getting eaten by that spider!).

You can find wilderness when you're willing to travel 20 minutes from the spawn point at Strongbox - whether you survive these 20 minutes is another question - and by this I mean survival from beasts, luckily there is almost no newbie ganking on Serenity.

I really encourage you to settle on MRH. The people there are good people but lacking the numbers of the other kingdoms. They'll teach you well and help you out and in the long run it'll help improve the game as a whole.

I really encourage you to settle on MRH. The people there are good people but lacking the numbers of the other kingdoms. They'll teach you well and help you out and in the long run it'll help improve the game as a whole.

I don't really want help though. The web of responsibilities that go with being part of a village or something doesn't appeal to me right now.

• Like 1

I've only played on MR, I like it & the community,

As for space I can't speak for JK, but a group of players have cleared up the abandoned shack towns that were around our starter city and there's plenty of space around still,whether you are wanting a small place by the starter city or you want to venture out into the wilds. There are occasional raids but if you settle in land and work on your defences you'll be fine :)

I've only played on MR, I like it & the community,

As for space I can't speak for JK, but a group of players have cleared up the abandoned shack towns that were around our starter city and there's plenty of space around still,whether you are wanting a small place by the starter city or you want to venture out into the wilds. There are occasional raids but if you settle in land and work on your defences you'll be fine :)

How much defenses would I need? is 1 layer of tall stone wall enough? Or do I need a deed, dirt walls, and templars?

JK used to be pretty lame with its home server defense. From what I've seen that has changed and there's usually always multiple people defending the server. I would personally suggest going to Serenity or Desertion, both should be more or less the same. MRH for more of a community experience.

I've only played on Serenity and there's tons of free land and you don't have to bother with anyone if you don't want to. I suspect most home servers are similar.

I don't really want help though. The web of responsibilities that go with being part of a village or something doesn't appeal to me right now.

You will regret saying that later :P Living on your own sounds fun but after a while you will realize Wurm becomes more of a job than a game since you have to do everything on your own. I've seen lots of people quit because wurm gets "boring" after a while, but that's just usually because you make it boring.

However, if you still feel like doing it, I'd suggest either Serenity of Desertion. I don't think you will notice a big difference between those servers. They both have lots of free land. These servers will be more similar to Freedom, except with the whole curve and pvp thing of course.

Affliction is another option, but I think that's if you want more of a challenge. The mob population will be a lot more dense on Affliction. The server is quarter the size of Desertion/Serenity, but there should still be plenty of land to settle on. It will a lot more different than Freedom and also less forgiving

Maybe if you want more action later, you should join the Elevation server.

Edited by BrQQQ

How much defenses would I need? is 1 layer of tall stone wall enough? Or do I need a deed, dirt walls, and templars?

That's kinda hard to answer, it depends on where you settle really.

If you settle near the starter city 1 layer of tall walls would probably be ok,

If you settle inland, fairly hidden by forest/natural hills I guess 1 layer of tall walls and a guard tower would be about right.

If you settle on the coast you need as much defence as possible.

It's always good to make friends with the community, I live a fair distance from the starter city but I have good neighbours and friends on the whole server who I know will help out and group up if Raiders come by, and I'd help them too.

mol-rehan is best because we will always defend our server, even if we are going to go out and die. also we have very helpful people

• Like 1

You will regret saying that later :P Living on your own sounds fun but after a while you will realize Wurm becomes more of a job than a game since you have to do everything on your own. I've seen lots of people quit because wurm gets "boring" after a while, but that's just usually because you make it boring.

However, if you still feel like doing it, I'd suggest either Serenity of Desertion. I don't think you will notice a big difference between those servers. They both have lots of free land.

Affliction is another option, but I think that's if you want more of a challenge. The mob population will be a lot more dense on Affliction. The server is quarter the size of Desertion/Serenity, but there should still be plenty of land to settle on.

Maybe if you want more action later, you should join the Elevation server.

Hehe, I know it's hard, but I've been playing solo for years on GV and the freedom servers. I should be fine on the solo aspect, though I'm not sure on the pvp aspect.

That's kinda hard to answer, it depends on where you settle really.

If you settle near the starter city 1 layer of tall walls would probably be ok,

If you settle inland, fairly hidden by forest/natural hills I guess 1 layer of tall walls and a guard tower would be about right.

If you settle on the coast you need as much defence as possible.

It's always good to make friends with the community, I live a fair distance from the starter city but I have good neighbours and friends on the whole server who I know will help out and group up if Raiders come by, and I'd help them too.

So it seems settling near the starter city is safest? I was thinking inland hidden by trees would be safest. And yes, good neighbors and friends would be nice ^.^ I do intend to spend most of my time in freedom still though, since I'm still not set up there yet.

I'm going to say BLH only because I've lived there and I'm BL, but MRH is definitely the better WL one to go for. They do defend it, I watched them defend it on a livestream yesterday. Near the starter city isn't really safest, but head away from exposed bodies of water if you want to avoid being raided on a whim. If you can't defend yourself from animals or from more concerted raiding attempts, join or deed near a larger settlement.

BLH is probably the place where you're more able to avoid being raided as long as you know where to deed (in my opinion at least). BL also defends their homeserver, and gives the best opportunity to head over to Elevation if you want to. BLH is a great place to train fight skill, but can be daunting because it has the densest population of animals. The Mycellium does help however.

So it seems settling near the starter city is safest? I was thinking inland hidden by trees would be safest. And yes, good neighbors and friends would be nice ^.^ I do intend to spend most of my time in freedom still though, since I'm still not set up there yet.

Hmm, personally I would head inland a bit, more space, you'd need the guard tower to help with animals though, especially if they can bash heh. As Ols said it's more the coastal deeds that get raiders.

Hmm....

Well, thanks for all the input from everyone. What I have is this:

Both JK and MR are pretty much equal

MR is more community oriented and will defend their homeserver more

JK is more solo oriented I guess?

JK are more concentrated on elevation, while MR is more concentrated on the home server

Hots isn't really raided, but harder pve wise.

I guess I'll just have to think about how much community I want ;p

If you come to JKH, you can join our village. You get free enchants on your tools and you get your own 2x3 house (which you'll build yourself).