Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Highest Skilled Player When The New Server Opens?

Wait, so, because I spend some time grinding my skills in the tutorial area (an equivalent amount of time to any other location), I deserve to have that wiped?

My forethought and ability to plan ahead should be punished?

Wurm sure has an awfully funny community.

Wait, so, because I spend some time grinding my skills in the tutorial area (an equivalent amount of time to any other location), I deserve to have that wiped?

Kids these days. Not getting what you want is not equivalent to being punished. Not liking it is one thing, considering it punishment is something else.

The tutorial serves two purposes, slow down alt spam and introduce new players to the game. Allowing you some head start is not one of them. Personally don't care (not going to server anyway) but it's not like the first to 30 blacksmith wins Wurm or something, you could spend a year on the tutorial and it wouldn't give you an advantage because the competition in a PvE server is all in your head.

Edited by belthize
  • Like 1

I've already obtained something, so the removal of that would be, essentially a punishment. I have a thing. It gets taken away because someone didn't like it. See how that works? It's not a difficult connection to make.

Given the non-competitive nature of the PVE server, the cap on skills in the tutorial, and the lack of really complicated or combat-related skills, I'm surprised that anyone has an issue with it in the first place. Then again, many wurm players seem (from my moderate perusal of the forums) to be inherently resistant to anything that resembles change or shifting of accessibility to the game. Who knows!

Wurm players pretty much represent the entire spectrum, pick a belief system you'll find it. Some are resistant to any change, some are for damn near any change. Many suffer from cognitive dissonance or are at the very least logically inconsistent. About all you can say in terms of 'most' is that most will rarely be in favor of a solution they perceive as personally detrimental to them. Even if that short term detriment results in a long term better game.

In the end most everyone wanders around interpreting Rolf's statements in whatever light suits them. He said 'fresh start'. Does that mean when they hit the server or the tutorial. Don't know. If he meant tutorial then you're set, if he meant the server and your skills are rolled back that's not punishment, that's just you wrongly interpreting his statement. It'll happen a lot and really doesn't matter. An hour here or there becomes meaningless after a few years. You'll lose more effort when you forget to turn of sleep bonus and burn through 5 hours afk.

Anyway, welcome to Wurm. Be sure to run from the spiders.

Dammit..sent my alt through to epic to transfer over from there :(

I got to admit, even though I've spent a few hours skilling on a toon in there, I am also +1 for wiping all skills & equipment after leaving the tutorial. It just doesn't make sense to allow someone to be able to grind certain skills with ease and safety. I know its a cap of 20 which is not a huge deal but still, it's not consistent and only an existing player would know to do this so its a disadvantage to the genuine newbie who just follows the tutorial.

Loaded up a new alt to see what it's like...people digging everywhere and apparently "glitching" items somehow. i.e. getting a spindle during the healing part and using the infinite cotton to grind tailoring etc. Even heard people managed to do farming.

Loaded up a new alt to see what it's like...people digging everywhere and apparently "glitching" items somehow. i.e. getting a spindle during the healing part and using the infinite cotton to grind tailoring etc. Even heard people managed to do farming.

If that's the case then there does need to be a skill reset on leaving the tutorial, maybe even an inventory wipe and just give the basic tools again on arrival on the server of choice ( same as Rolf did with epic ).

Edited by Kediec

Sounds like its time to let the GV folks come through the portals on GV as well then if we are going to allow skilling up. ;)

Yeah, a ton of skills are able to get to 20. Getting a couple of skills wouldn't be that much of a deal, but if people are starting with like 10+ skills at 20, that is quite a step ahead. Things like farming, tailoring and first aid with the infinite supply of cotton is a little unfair.

Yeah, a ton of skills are able to get to 20. Getting a couple of skills wouldn't be that much of a deal, but if people are starting with like 10+ skills at 20, that is quite a step ahead. Things like farming, tailoring and first aid with the infinite supply of cotton is a little unfair.

Agree. They just exploit infinite cotton -.-'

hmmm using unlimited supplies from tutorial?? that would be an exploit I would think.

Anyhow they can only get so much skill and we will be getting sleep bonus ( probably more than once...) Plus the fact is they can only play so much before they have to go to bed. ;)

In the end 20 skill in a few things is not going to give anyone an edge in the long run.

Players that group together and work together will have a much bigger advantage.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

yeah, thats true Protunia. Wish I'd gotten myself 20 farming though :D

They're currently working on refining and weaponizing the politics of envy into a science.

My comments here aren't a personal attack against anyone in particular, just me explaining why I (and others) do not agree with players keeping skill gain from the tutorial server.

The tutorial server is supposed to be just that.... a place to learn the basic commands and keys to play Wurm on a starter level, without risk. That is the key right there. Any permenant skill gain in Wurm should be accompanied by some ingame risk, even if it's the little risk that you find on a PvE server like Independance. Mind you I am not a member of the Wurm Staff, just a Player, this is how understand the Tutorial Server is supposed to be.

Attempting to get more out of the tutorial server than that smacks of exploiting to some of us players, in other words... cheating. Maybe that's ok with FPS and Console Game Players, or players that play facebook games, but it's not OK to MMO Players generally speaking (some MMO Players think cheating is OK, those Players I seriously want to load into a real life working Treb and see how far they fly, just like a pumpkin...). I consider Wurm a MMO, one of the few true MMOs I might add. That's why some of us have an issue with players keeping any skills gained in the tutorial server.

Even though some may say this sort of thing doesn't matter, it does, everything that everyone does effects all Players in a MMO, no matter how slight or how infrequent the activity. It is the nature of a Multiplayer Online games, and especially MMOs. Many Players here will try to deny that, but that don't change it. That's why exploits in a MMO are bad, that's why some of us rail on them when we see them.

Is this a real big issue or something? No it isn't. A concern yes, but not a big issue. The server won't melt over it.... just players like me.

The Sun will rise again tomorrow from the horizon in the NW in Wurm.

Edited by Kyrmius

Oh please, its a sandbox game. I am going to play it any darn well I please. If Rolf wanted it that way, it would already be that way. And if you stop and think about it, it really doesn't make a big difference where I spend my free food for 24 hours does it? The only difference is I don't have to worry about grinding a few basic skills right out of the box when I spawn on the server.

You need lots of rules?

WoW ------------->

Enjoy :)

This being a sandbox MMO doesn't change the fact that exploits are bad for everyone in general. Great for the individual yes, but bad overall. That's why Wurm has some rules already.

If you can't understand that idea then it's best if we never meet ingame in Wurm, we will have nothing in common.

and I ain't going anywhere.... especially to that piece of crap game.

Edited by Kyrmius

Grinding the skills is fine...but exploiting the free, unlimited supplies of cotton and glitching fences to train farming...that is what I have a problem with. That is unintended.

• Like 1

Grinding the skills is fine...but exploiting the free, unlimited supplies of cotton and glitching fences to train farming...that is what I have a problem with. That is unintended.

+1

Exploiting unlimited supplies and glitching is wrong and should be considered cheating.

Now, if you decide it's a good way to spend your time packing dirt and prospecting by all means go have fun. I'll be in the woods fighting off the spider hordes and throwing together my first shack and having fun. :)

I have 18.67 wc in the tutorial. And some natural substances, botanizing, foraging, 12 carp and various other skills. Not started pottery yet but I'm 8+ digging. main reason for this is because I wanted to actually be making use of my time while I waited for release. While i see the argument that people feel like its 'cheating' or 'exploting', the mechanics for this being available have been there for years, unlimited cotton for first aid grinding is intended. (The cotton, perhaps not the grinding). The unlimited trees are intended. Yes they may be measures to keep resources available for players coming through on their first play of the tutorial, but, the mechanics are there. this isn't an exploit. I see it as a test of the mechanics. Also as a way to see if i can find my affinity.

With that being said once the servers are up i intend on skipping through the rest of the tutorial. Perhaps get first aid up to 5 (cotton is precious in new lands) but that'll be the crux of it.

Edited by Icelion

This being a sandbox MMO doesn't change the fact that exploits are bad for everyone in general. Great for the individual yes, but bad overall. That's why Wurm has some rules already.

If you can't understand that idea then it's best if we never meet ingame in Wurm, we will have nothing in common.

Amen, I tend to avoid anyone who has the need to tell me how to play a sandbox game so I think we are good ;)

With that being said, I am not a big fan of exploits either but in this case the exploits certainly aren't earth shattering. 20 in any skill isn't going to unbalance the server the first day or three.

20 skill? Who cares.

All the expected new players who didn't know you could do this or how much work finding your first (insert resources here) is. Or just how valuable having more than 1 to 5 in a skill is once you hit the real servers for the first time.

::edit insert::

As everyone likes to point out, this isn't real life, it's a game and as such, there is an expectation that there will be some form of equality or fairness in the system. Exploiting mechanics, and be honest, it is exploiting a mechanic, provide an unfair advantage. Sure you could say knowing anything is an exploit if you wanted to travel into the realm of hyperbole, but "working around" basic gameplay concepts (risk vs reward) is still exploiting.

Finally, for those saying that it doesn't matter, it's "just 20 skill", if it didn't matter, why'd you do it?

Edited by Hussars

+1

Exploiting unlimited supplies and glitching is wrong and should be considered cheating.

Now, if you decide it's a good way to spend your time packing dirt and prospecting by all means go have fun. I'll be in the woods fighting off the spider hordes and throwing together my first shack and having fun. :)

This is pretty much where I stood on that thing. Which is why I didn't grab hundreds of cotton and bring it with me to the portal area.