Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

The Wurm Academy

Greetings!

If you are looking for the information pertaining who to contact for a conversion to a follower of a god, look at the bottom of this post.

The Wurm Academy is a village on Pristine for everyone, new and old, to join. The goal is to introduce and integrate newcomers into the Wurm community, helping people turn questions into answers. Since we all will start completely fresh on the server opening, the Academy will also be a player survival group, where everyone fights together to make sure that as few people as possible dies. Although, do not doubt that you will die once or twice in the starting days and weeks of the game. It's just the nature of the beast.

The command structure will be pretty simple;

Student - Anyone that gets invited into the village automatically gets this role.

Teacher - Experienced player that are willing to take time and answer questions.

Headmaster - Administrative role of the village, having management powers in addition to being a teacher.

The village goal is to be founded within walking distance of the spawn point, although probably not right up against it. It will depend a lot on location scouting.

This will be a village that everyone is welcome to come and go from as they wish, with the reasonable limitations of the game mechanics and bans on griefers and their likes, since no one wants to play with someone that just likes to destroy and ruin.

Means of contact:

The Academy Forums

TS3: dhcd.co.uk, no password needed.

IRC: #WurmAcademy on Rizon

How to find us:

There is a paved road starting at the Blossom token which (at writing moment) isn't paved all the way to the academy, but just follow the mix of paved and packed sections and you'll end up at our deed.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSNIXSpXUKI

Current players with invite power:

Pretty much everyone in the village has invite for now, just turn up in local and ask.

For people who wants a convert, here are the people who can convert to a god;

Make sure to have 1.5 Body and 1 Alignment!

Joel, forum name [Jberg] - Vynora

Kgbuk, forum name [Kgb] - Fo

Pristinesnake, forum name [snakegal]/ - Magranon

Hope to meet you!

Jberg aka Joel - Headmaster

• Like 12

Jberg what timezone are you in? Do you know yet what your name will be on the new server?

Jberg what timezone are you in? Do you know yet what your name will be on the new server?

I'm on GMT+1, so I'll be on when release happens, and stay on for quite a few hours after that. At least one of my accounts will be Zberg, but might create a new toon to main on just to not confuse people with all the different letter bergs :)

My alt will check it out and help where he can. It will likely always be a non-paying character but who knows.

Would you mind posting the ign you'll be using? I'm thinking of making a guy and spend some time in the new server now and again to try to talk/help peeps.

I really like your idea, Jberg. I plan to create a new character on the new server - and having some experience in helping new players (our alliance ran a "newbie town" in Deli for quite a while), maybe I can join your academy as a teacher? (I'm on GMT+1, too.)

I'm going to support you with this Jberg. I'll be there with a toon named Bangarang!

I'd like to signe up as a student ...err... villager. :)

SH

I should probably rename the role ;) What a miss to not name you Students :D

I will be going as Joel

A great idea Jberg, following in the tradition of Dannyiron's Academy of Enlightenment on the Independence server. Having seen how things transpired over time there I would say the key point is to be as close to the starter area as possible so that new players can get to it quickly and safely. Save the further away outposts for those who want to explore more than initially learn the ways of Wurm's skills in creating things.

Another very important aspect is to try to have one administrative member availlable at all times to be able to invite newcomers to join up and start building their own little homes from writs that the village administrators hold, or even to just make them welcome and be able to get started doing something until the proper person arrives to handle these situations. Having lived above the original "Academy", I have noted many times when people arrived there and there was no one at all availlable to give them some information on the place, answer their questions and then assure them that they could have a spot available later when an administrator arrived.

Anyway, hope you have much success on your efforts to make the transition of new players into the Wurm world a more pleasant and enjoyable experience, which will in turn encourage them to stay and further delve into the deeper mysteries that hide within the wilds of these untamed lands.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Added TeamSpeak 3 to the original post; details dhcd.co.uk, no password.

Added IRC Channel. It's on Rizon (same as #wurm is) and is named #WurmAcademy

A great idea Jberg, following in the tradition of Dannyiron's Academy of Enlightenment on the Independence server. Having seen how things transpired over time there I would say the key point is to be as close to the starter area as possible so that new players can get to it quickly and safely. Save the further away outposts for those who want to explore more than initially learn the ways of Wurm's skills in creating things.

Another very important aspect is to try to have one administrative member availlable at all times to be able to invite newcomers to join up and start building their own little homes from writs that the village administrators hold, or even to just make them welcome and be able to get started doing something until the proper person arrives to handle these situations. Having lived above the original "Academy", I have noted many times when people arrived there and there was no one at all availlable to give them some information on the place, answer their questions and then assure them that they could have a spot available later when an administrator arrived.

Anyway, hope you have much success on your efforts to make the transition of new players into the Wurm world a more pleasant and enjoyable experience, which will in turn encourage them to stay and further delve into the deeper mysteries that hide within the wilds of these untamed lands.

=Ayes=

Agreed ayes, i still miss danny and the academy to this day :)

• Like 1

I'm down to join. I'll get on TS when I can.

EDIT: I am using my phone to get on the TS while I am at work. Could someone try talking to "Dorrim"?

Edited by ExpendableOne

IGN Nana is currently on the gv server at the portal. Experienced player willing to help out :)

I dunno if I should stay on the gv server to help people going through the tutorial, or go to the new server and help people there...

Probably best on the new server. The tutorial is pretty well explained now I think. Come onto teamspeak btw ;)

Edited by Kryx

I'll join at the beginning as a teacher experienced player that will help out with building until I get fairly high skill levels, and then I'll decide about sticking around (though I probably will, as I don't want to pay the fees for a deed, but if I am going to play, its gonna be on a deed. See ya there!

Also, you should make sure that the Academy is near spawn.

Edited by gbear605

Sometime dabbler/new player here, I'll be keen to get in on this intitiative, the Eve University is a great example of an in-game organisation helping new players so it's nice to see something similar here!

I'm in GMT +13 timezone but hopefully I won't miss out on all the fun :)

side note as you say to help new toons on this server new and old (i might misread) do you have any plans for having sickles made up for handing out?

if not i might try to make a few dozen to donate to such a cause if we ever get there lol