Sign in to follow this  
Luniraen

Changes To Enchanted Tree's

http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Enchanted_tree

From what I understand Enchanted Tree's have 1 use - Enchant a tree you want to protect from being cut down because it looks pretty where it is. In fact there are more ways to remove an enchanted tree than reasons to enchant one!

Please read to the end as I have ideas that I think would keep it balanced.

To make this more useful/worthwhile/saleable I'd like to see these changes;

• Tree's & bushes can still be harvested for fruit & sap in the right season
  • Thorn Bushes do deal damage when walked through
  • Enchanting a tree/bush gives the tree a pro-longed life at Overaged before turning shrivelled Like the 'Care For' system with animals.
  • Players would be able to prune the tree when it reaches Overaged.

To balance out the pro's I've listed above I suggest these restrictions;

• The damage dealt by enchanted thorn bushes would be either halved so much less damage or become a % chance of damage dealt when walking through them.
  • Like now Saplings would not be able to be picked
  • When a player prune's the tree at Overaged there is a high chance (say 75%) that the tree will revert to a normal tree.

What do you all think?

i dont wana eny changes becose i m sure update will bring something bad fot us and we lost alot of enchanted trees...

i dont wana eny changes becose i m sure update will bring something bad fot us and we lost alot of enchanted trees...

lol ok.....

But not all changes in wurm have been bad & messed things up, give the team some credit. Some great changes have been happening with animations, looks, creature models, targeting, housing etc.

they should be harvestable all the time once or twice a day, or with some kind of limit, as of now there's absolutely no gain to them besides cosmetic uses.

a lot of people might say that's too overpowered though, so some kind of limit should be place, maybe like how they do guard towers, only 1 ever x amount of tiles.

they should be harvestable all the time once or twice a day, or with some kind of limit, as of now there's absolutely no gain to them besides cosmetic uses.

a lot of people might say that's too overpowered though, so some kind of limit should be place, maybe like how they do guard towers, only 1 ever x amount of tiles.

I think being able to harvest all the time & multiple times would definitely be overpowered, but the normal rate like any other fruit tree when in season would be fair.

Hmm no I don't like the idea of 1 enchanted tile every x tiles, the main people who would benefit from this are people with orchards or thorn bush defences & having it that way would make it useless again.

Im pretty sure enchanted thorn bushes deal damage when you walk trough them. Also +1 to these changes and please put a different description. It says: You see part of the lands of wurm.

That does not tell me what the hell an enchanted tree is.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure enchanted thorn bushes deal damage when you walk trough them. Also +1 to these changes and please put a different description. It says: You see part of the lands of wurm.

That does not tell me what the hell an enchanted tree is.

Hmm Wiki says otherwise about thorns, will have to test it (tomorrow when I can enchant again heh)

+1 for better in game description

Unsure, currently the only way to remove an enchanted tree is either by planting a willow/oak tree at it, or wasting a TON of favor throwing down ice/fire pillar hoping to get lucky and remove it. Enchanted grass can be packed, imo enchanted trees should get an actual benefit, but should have a more available way to remove them.

• Like 1

Unsure, currently the only way to remove an enchanted tree is either by planting a willow/oak tree at it, or wasting a TON of favor throwing down ice/fire pillar hoping to get lucky and remove it. Enchanted grass can be packed, imo enchanted trees should get an actual benefit, but should have a more available way to remove them.

Yeah I agree, it is a pain to remove them & should be made easier (I was just jesting when I said more ways to remove than uses of planting, completely ignoring the fact that the way to remove is a complete pita ;) ).

They really need something other than a cosmetic use though..... even if that use comes with restrictions so its not overpowered.

I would imagine just simply add a spell that takes the same stats to cast enchant on said tree/grass tile, this would remove the enchanted effect.

Yes? No? Maybe so? Lemon? XD

I would imagine just simply add a spell that takes the same stats to cast enchant on said tree/grass tile, this would remove the enchanted effect.

Yes? No? Maybe so? Lemon? XD

Well the problem with that Shrimpiie is it's a once every 18hr's cast only available to people on level 7 of meditating Path of Love, it's not a priest cast. So making it use the same cast to remove would limit the amount of people who could remove it whereas the enchanted grass anyone can do with a shovel.

Maybe the best way would be to keep it simple, when you have a sickle activated you can right click the tree and have a remove enchantment option? Like grass it would be easy for people to grief you, but if it was on deed & you have a guard and the right settings it would protect them just like grass.

I think if the improvements I have suggested were implemented it would need an easy removal by any player to keep it fair and balanced, just like the grass.

Well, let's look to fantasy and the usual ways of removing or breaking an enchantment. Perhaps just being able to cut the enchanted tree down...that seems to be most common.

Or stick some cold iron into it.

Well, let's look to fantasy and the usual ways of removing or breaking an enchantment. Perhaps just being able to cut the enchanted tree down...that seems to be most common.

Or stick some cold iron into it.

Cutting down the tree does seem to be the most logical way to remove the enchantment...but it's also the only reason to enchant at the moment -face palm-

Apart from a pro-longed life at overaged all of the suggestions I have made to improve enchanted tree's are properties that tree's already have, if they could be cut down there would be no point in enchanting the tree's. Much like it is at the moment as enchanting is purely cosmetic.

Heh. I like changing the benefit of the enchanted tree: growing forever at the stage without being cut down, don't have to prune as often (which would match with grass tiles actually). Then we won't have the way to remove the tree being the same as the reason to have the tree be enchanted in the first place >.<

Or perhaps, poison mixed from something we can sprinkle on the tree and make it die?

Heh. I like changing the benefit of the enchanted tree: growing forever at the stage without being cut down, don't have to prune as often (which would match with grass tiles actually). Then we won't have the way to remove the tree being the same as the reason to have the tree be enchanted in the first place >.<

Or perhaps, poison mixed from something we can sprinkle on the tree and make it die?

That's a good option, I've read threads about updating the alchemy skill and a simple potion to use on Enchanted Tree's could be included, as long as it was available to most players, i.e. low skill needed to make it, ingredients that aren't super rare.

Another idea is that once the tree reaches Shrivelled it reverts to a normal tree and can be chopped down, any tree that re-plants itself would just be a normal tree.

So after some discussing these are the suggested pro's and con's to update Enchanted Tree's to make them more useful to all players;

Pros:

• Tree's & bushes can still be harvested for fruit & sap in the right season
  • Thorn Bushes do deal damage when walked through
  • Enchanting a tree/bush gives the tree a pro-longed life at Overaged before turning shrivelled Like the 'Care For' system with animals.
  • Grass at the base of the tree should resemble Enchanted grass (but with none of it's perks) as a visual representation as well as an updated description when the tree is right clicked and examined.

Cons:

• The damage dealt by enchanted thorn bushes would be either halved so much less damage, or become a % chance of damage dealt when walking through them.
  • Like now Saplings would not be able to be picked & the tree would not be allowed to be pruned.
  • Removing Enchanted Tree's should be easier by either a poison; right clicking and select remove enchantment with sickle activated, or once the tree has reached Shrivelled age it is able to be cut down or re-plants itself as a normal tree.

What do you think?

The one thing enchanted trees need are a better removal method. Not necessarily an easy one, but something that's more consistent and quicker for someone motivated.

I've always found it strange that enchanting causes a tree to become invulnerable yet not fruit-bearing. What it should rather do in my opinion is prevent plants from growing beyond "Overaged", so that they can be forever sprout- and fruit-bearing without requiring pruning or re-planting (neither automatic nor manual). And throw out the invulnerability.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

Any way of removing enchanted trees easier would conflict with its current benefit of not easy to remove. So it looks like the benefit has to be changed regardless of what method of removal it is.

The one thing enchanted trees need are a better removal method. Not necessarily an easy one, but something that's more consistent and quicker for someone motivated.

I've always found it strange that enchanting causes a tree to become invulnerable yet not fruit-bearing. What it should rather do in my opinion is prevent plants from growing beyond "Overaged", so that they can be forever sprout- and fruit-bearing without requiring pruning or re-planting (neither automatic nor manual). And throw out the invulnerability.

Ever since I got the ability to enchant tree's it has bewildered me what the point of them is, beyond protecting your cosmetically planted tree's!

I like your idea but it would be a little over powered how does this sound?

Pro's:

• Can be harvested for fruit & Sap in the right seasons just like a normal tree except 1 harvest gives double fruit yield.
  • Stay at "Overaged" for a pro-longed time like the 'care for' system with animals
  • Thorn Bushes still give damage
  • Grass at the base of the tree should resemble Enchanted grass (but with none of it's perks) as a visual representation as well as an updated description when the tree is right clicked and examined.

Con's:

• Can be cut down
  • The damage dealt by enchanted thorn bushes would be either halved so much less damage or become a % chance of damage dealt when walking through them.
  • Saplings can be picked but at a much lower rate to normal tree's

What do you think?

I see no reason to make cons at all, no other meditation path has cons attached to their abilities.

Make trees/bushes fully usable with just the cut down option removed.

The enchantment already has a 'decay' rate which means it'll never be permanent.