Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Long Awaited Features Added

That is not most of us were asking for at all, but thanks for the brush off.

The time you wasted on this post could have been spent out-lining the patch notes in a more official fashion without giving hint as to how to make the new items.

You know, like you've done every other time lately.

Let's see now...

• The ability to raise cave and surface level rock using a rudimentary form of concrete has been invented by angry miners < New Item
  • Bewildered weapon smiths have invented a way to smelt unused metal with some sort of pottery devide < New Item
  • At a workshop in the art of “thinking outside of the forge†smiths understood how to keep improving one item and gain better skill with less improvement, instead of spewing out tons of items.< New improvement functionality
  • The tutorial area now has increased chance of creating certain basic items in order to keep people from quitting before they understand the beauty and rewards of perseverance.< Straight forward "increased creation chance on tutorial"
  • Caves have started acting up and you should avoid riding in them for the time being. Also you may become glued to walls or end up inside them. Relog in those cases. We are working on fixing these issues with a client update. < Straight forward "caves are bugged"
  • Falling damage was increased for higher altitudes. < Straight forward
  • New items will no longer have to be polished in order to be finished. < Straight forward
  • For some nice Sunday listening, turn on Wurm Online Radio:http://www.wurmonlineradio.tk/ < Straight forward

I'm really having trouble seeing where the problem is..what part don't you understand?

• Like 7

Come on guys, at least he is telling us about the updates. He could have just told us 'Hey there's some new stuff, go find it'.Rolf has always liked to keep an air of mystery in some of the new additions so we the players can go out and find the details for ourselves. Hell even the Wiki is 99% player made. This is his style and most of us like it.

• Like 1

A lot of Wurm players aren't english native speakers.

"New items will no longer have to be polished in order to be finished. < Straight forward"

AFAIK there's no new unfinished items at all...

At a workshop in the art of “thinking outside of the forge†smiths understood how to keep improving one item and gain better skill with less improvement, instead of spewing out tons of items.< New improvement functionality

But you guys know, that now it takes much more time to imp for example BS tools? So it's probably going to rise prices. Does it apply to other than blacksmithing skills? For Ropemaking it's still better to make 10 net traps and imp them all to your skill level than imping them over your skill level (tested by me).

There should be an option to choose when you're buying premium: "Do you want to get straight info about updates or do you want puzzles?"

Don't forget Wurm is a product I'm paying for...

It never ceases to amaze me the lack of common sense I see these days. (yes, you will quickly discover that I am extremely sardonic- get over it).

Personally I was amused and appreciated the quirky humor behind the patch notes, and with a little logic, it wasn’t hard to figure out what was said by simply observing. For example:

“Bewildered weapon smiths have invented a way to smelt unused metal with some sort of pottery device.â€

Hmm... pottery, smelting was mentioned, unused metal... Sweet! They added a crucible to the game. (see, that wasn’t so painful now was it?) Well, they called it a smelting pot presumably because most people don’t know what a crucible is and are too lazy to actually look it up, but the concept is the same. From there, everyone already knows the general principles of the game mechanics in relation to smithing, so with a tiny bit of experimentation at the forge, you can figure out rather quickly how to utilize the item. I find it ironic that “the art of thinking outside of the forge†phrase was used in the patch notes since quite clearly not many are capable of doing so.

Stop relying on the Global and Kingdom “twitter accounts†for everything, and you might derive a little bit more enjoyment from things. When I came to Wurm over a year ago, the ability to use problem-solving and creativity in your endeavors was half the attraction. Wanting everything handed to you on a plate only shows me how much of a sense of spoiled entitlement people really have.

• Like 2

Wanting everything handed to you on a plate only shows me how much of a sense of spoiled entitlement people really have.

That's the second person in this thread to take this to an absurd length and accuse us of asking for something more than what we actually asked for.

Let me sum up this part of the discussion:

Some of us: Can we make the notes more clear?

Them: We think they're clear enough and we would like for you to figure some of it out on your own.

I'm ok with that. While I personally would like things to be more clear, I see their point.

Just because some of us ask for something you might not agree with doesn't mean we feel entitled.

I rather liked the way it was posted. It was more in character than just standardized patch notes. Part of the fun is figuring out things on your own. They could have just NOT posted notes (as they've done in the past).

Kind of like the +falling damage, I thought it was pretty silly to bounce down a mountain and walk away as if nothing much had happened. *looks down to thorny stubs* ...I think i'll need a healing cover now. Oh and some wine!

A lot of Wurm players aren't english native speakers.

AFAIK there's no new unfinished items at all...

But you guys know, that now it takes much more time to imp for example BS tools? So it's probably going to rise prices. Does it apply to other than blacksmithing skills? For Ropemaking it's still better to make 10 net traps and imp them all to your skill level than imping them over your skill level (tested by me).

There should be an option to choose when you're buying premium: "Do you want to get straight info about updates or do you want puzzles?"

Don't forget Wurm is a product I'm paying for...

The prices are not gonna go up they are gonna drop.I was getting 3x skill gain from just imping items slightly above my level,at my level, and slightly below my level(weapon smithing).

Gonna work on some today well above my level, who knows i might get even more gain. I know others reported 2x. So lets just say now its 2x-3x skill gain and that means every smithing skill is now gonna be 2-3 times faster to get to the point of making high ql items fast. People will then say hey its so easy now I think I will just work on my BS myself and save some coin. After the huge gains from burning all my SB yesterday on WS I am very close to 70 title and when I get it I already know that sense of accomplishment I was looking forward to will not be there.

I don't understand. How else would it work? You need to be able to have precise control over how high a corner will be raised.

Who says you have to consume all of a concrete for one corner? Not logged into try yet but if you have a 1kg concrete you could easily consume 0.25 for each corner so a concrete can raise a whole tile by 1

Rolf could easily tune this if he agreed that the effort to make concrete vs the amounts of mine tiles to fix wasn't balanced.

The prices are not gonna go up they are gonna drop.I was getting 3x skill gain from just imping items slightly above my level,at my level, and slightly below my level(weapon smithing).

Gonna work on some today well above my level, who knows i might get even more gain. I know others reported 2x. So lets just say now its 2x-3x skill gain and that means every smithing skill is now gonna be 2-3 times faster to get to the point of making high ql items fast. People will then say hey its so easy now I think I will just work on my BS myself and save some coin. After the huge gains from burning all my SB yesterday on WS I am very close to 70 title and when I get it I already know that sense of accomplishment I was looking forward to will not be there.

Data please because in 7 hours of weapon smithing today funny I never once seen 2x-3x skill gains even when imping weapons that were 5-10 over my level. Most others reported 2x only because other players told them it was 2x. The amount of players that actually test stuff, know how to test stuff properly and how to read data properly in this game is pretty slim.

Edit: Please send me your skill log of your grind before the update and after the update.

Edited by Ruger

An air of mystery and figuring things out is nice and all, but only if Rolf were able to actually code a working patch.

But most of the time it's rather: huh? is that what he meant with his riddle or did he mess up again?

• The ability to raise cave and surface level rock using a rudimentary form of concrete has been invented by angry miners < New Item < seems fine so far
  • Bewildered weapon smiths have invented a way to smelt unused metal with some sort of pottery devide < New Item < it's a pot, but it doesn't work like bowl for cooking, it's a tool you have to activate, why?
  • At a workshop in the art of “thinking outside of the forge†smiths understood how to keep improving one item and gain better skill with less improvement, instead of spewing out tons of items.< New improvement functionality <yeah, but how does it work and does it even work, there is doubt, see above?
  • The tutorial area now has increased chance of creating certain basic items in order to keep people from quitting before they understand the beauty and rewards of perseverance.< Straight forward "increased creation chance on tutorial" < fair enough
  • Caves have started acting up and you should avoid riding in them for the time being. Also you may become glued to walls or end up inside them. Relog in those cases. We are working on fixing these issues with a client update. < Straight forward "caves are bugged" < the only really clear message
  • Falling damage was increased for higher altitudes. < Straight forward <ok, but did he just increase the sliding damage, or did he actually fix the bug, where free falling caused no damage at all, It sounds like he misunderstood the bugreport again and "fixed" the wrong thing again.
  • New items will no longer have to be polished in order to be finished. < Straight forward < should be, but does it just mean you no longer need pelts to finish, or is this a hidden message to meaning you don't need to polish it, because there are no unfinished items, or is it a bug that there are no unfinished items?
  • For some nice Sunday listening, turn on Wurm Online Radio:http://www.wurmonlineradio.tk/ < Straight forward < fine

I'm really having trouble seeing where the problem is..what part don't you understand? < see above

• Like 1

First off...wow awesome update! the 40 some odd silver I dropped in wishing wells asking for something similar to concrete was well worth it.

Second, I favor an instruction manual approach. Although, I have learned to deal with Rolf mysterious new feature approach. I'm not mad things where explain, just thankful we got some cool new toys!

I dont mind riddles but the problem with the whole thing is that an update almost always breaks something or does not work as intended. So maybe do something with that first?

With the pot: why do you have to activate it? Why does it have to be left longer in a fire after it becomes glowing hot? Why does the smelt option only comes up when its hot enough?

With the cave floor: some people say its bugged others say its not and when i did it it created a hole which i reported to wollschaf but it didnt get fixed apparently.

With the polishing update: I heard reports that there are no more unfinished items. Bug? Intended? Also why is it only pelt instead of a hammer?

Also i wouldnt call these long awaited features because nobody asked for falling damage increase AGAIN. But whatever.

So i say again Budda. There is a difference between riddles and features that are half bugged or complety bugged but does not get a confirmation as being bugged from rolf. So therefore we dont know if its working as intended or its bugged.

Maybe if rolf would post in threads like this or other threads and confirm what are bugs and what are not but no its probably up to us to figure out again right? Like the thread about champs becoming small: feature or bug? Why cant rolf just post a simple "bug" in that thread?

Edited by atazs

Wow.. uh.. it's weird to see that when developers work hard to make new things and fix bugs, people start complaining because it's not perfect or working exactly as they wanted it to. Of course bugs are going to occur with these patches, but some of you are acting like it's the first time you saw a bug introduced by a new patch. Looking at the amount of restarts and client updates yesterday, it's pretty clear the developers are working very hard to fix bugs.

If patch notes are unclear to you, just ask on the forums or irc and surely you will get an answer.

• Like 7

Whine whine whine. Hit the little red X if it bothers you that much. I think the kids 4th and 5th graders I helped babysit a few days ago complained less then some of you.

Thank you to the Wurm team for putting time and effort into this game.

Edited by alaskanbob

Let's see now...

• The ability to raise cave and surface level rock using a rudimentary form of concrete has been invented by angry miners < New Item
  • Bewildered weapon smiths have invented a way to smelt unused metal with some sort of pottery devide < New Item
  • At a workshop in the art of “thinking outside of the forge†smiths understood how to keep improving one item and gain better skill with less improvement, instead of spewing out tons of items.< New improvement functionality
  • The tutorial area now has increased chance of creating certain basic items in order to keep people from quitting before they understand the beauty and rewards of perseverance.< Straight forward "increased creation chance on tutorial"
  • Caves have started acting up and you should avoid riding in them for the time being. Also you may become glued to walls or end up inside them. Relog in those cases. We are working on fixing these issues with a client update. < Straight forward "caves are bugged"
  • Falling damage was increased for higher altitudes. < Straight forward
  • New items will no longer have to be polished in order to be finished. < Straight forward
  • For some nice Sunday listening, turn on Wurm Online Radio:http://www.wurmonlineradio.tk/ < Straight forward

I'm really having trouble seeing where the problem is..what part don't you understand?

Can you find where I said I didn't understand it? I'm having a really difficult time, being that I didn't say it. You missed the point bud, scroll back through the thread a bit and you'll get the picture.

Here, I'll make it easier on you.

These oddly worded release notes are just ridiculous. Save that crap for main page advertisement, patch notes should be crystal clear.

Why is it you people seem to think that we are so out of place for asking for something as simple as clear patch notes? Half of you seem to be acting like we're out of line for saying, "Hey, could we could get these rephrased into something a little more legible?" Drop the attitude and then come back and talk to me.

Edited by GreenHero

Can you find where I said I didn't understand it? I'm having a really difficult time, being that I didn't say it. You missed the point bud, scroll back through the thread a bit and you'll get the picture.

Here, I'll make it easier on you.

You seem to be mistaking Wurm for Wow where everything is spoonfeed to you. Let me help you out.

/>http://us.battle.net/wow/en/

You seem to be mistaking Wurm for Wow where everything is spoonfeed to you. Let me help you out.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/

Why is it you people seem to think that we are so out of place for asking for something as simple as clear patch notes? Half of you seem to be acting like we're out of line for saying, "Hey, could we could get these rephrased into something a little more legible?" Drop the attitude and then come back and talk to me.

Spoon fed? Look back through the last several updates. That is all I'm asking for, what are you talking about?

Edited by GreenHero

Spoon fed? Look back through the last several updates. That is all I'm asking for, what are you talking about?

As defined by dictionary.com Spoon fed "given no opportunity to act or think for oneself"

Oh yeah I forgot to add, I can bold as well cause it makes me look cool.

Edited by alaskanbob

As defined by dictionary.com Spoon fed "given no opportunity to act or think for oneself"

Yes, and?

I mean if that's your argument I'm still lost as to its relevance. On one hand you say that Wurm does not spoon feed things to you, on the other, you have me saying that all I want is what Wurm has been doing.

So Wurm = Wow in your opinion?

By the way I'm done spamming. I'll stop repeating myself.

Edited by GreenHero

With the polishing update: I heard reports that there are no more unfinished items. Bug? Intended? Also why is it only pelt instead of a hammer?

Really?

I can understand new players getting confused by Rolf using the polish word instead of improve but I expected more from you.

Is it really that hard to make the connection when all items come out finished? Or are you just using it as an excuse to try and bash Rolf?

Polish = all improve actions.

Yes, and?

I mean if that's your argument I'm still lost as to its relevance. On one hand you say that Wurm does not spoon feed things to you, on the other, you have me saying that all I want is what Wurm has been doing.

So Wurm = Wow in your opinion?

By the way I'm done spamming. I'll stop repeating myself.

Wut? I see some easy mode fanboy who wants everything to be catered to him. The patch notes are obviously too hard for you to understand so I was suggesting you play a game where you wander down a path that has been laid out for you. Thanks for the smile kid.

I will miss finishing unfinished items. It was an opportunity to skill up without the chance of failure and having to repair.

So wanting path notes with clear descriptions of what has been added/changed is unacceptable to people here? I understand Rolf wanting us to figure out some things, but I don't see how wanting clearly worded patch notes is easy mode. You guys are silly.

Edited by Laiwyn
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this