Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

41 Stories?

41 Stories Poll  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that 41 stories is too tall?

• Infinite height needs to be allowed.
    • Its not tall enough, but it shouldn't be infinite.
    • Its the perfect height.
    • The max height should be between 20-40.
    • The max height should be between 10-20.
    • The max should be between 7-9
    • The max should be 5 or 6.
    • The max should be lower then all of the options above.
    • I don't think multistory should be added.
    • I have no opinion/I don't know what you are talking about.

Myself I would never build one of these super tall towers because what would I do in these small levels all the way up? What use would I have for them. I know you guys are putting up pics of these cool towers and cathedrals built in medieval times and they do look good. Now forget what you saw in those pictures and now picture it with the 2 only textures we have in the game, brick and wood. Put those two images side by side and now see how they compare. The Wurm version just doesnt have what it takes. It has no pretty archetectural accents, curves, designs. It is just gonna be a bunch of blocks stacked on top of each other with the same texture as far as the eye can see.

Im not saying we should or should not build them because in the end the Wurm does what it wants. In my case I wont build any because I cant justify a reason for it other than the sake of building it.

• Like 1

I don't understand all the claims about large towers ruining the landscape, surely they will at least look better than lopsided 1x1's and decaying fence gates/stone walls that already litter practically every Freedom server?

• Like 1

I'd prefer those low lopsided 1x1's with decaying stone fences next to 4x9 mansions tucked away in the forest, as opposed to lopsided 1x1's next to 2x3 skyscrapers. Consistency is nice :)

• Like 2

As for the realism argument:

Minarets of Taj Mahal: width: 6m to 4m, height: 48m, 16 stories. build 17th century.

Qutub Minar: width: 14m to 2m, height: 72m, 24 stories, build 15th century.

Pont du Gard (aqueduct): width: 6m to 3m, height: 48m, 16stories, build 1st century

Lighttower of Pharos: width: ~ 30m to 8m, height: ~ 120-150m, 40-50 stories, build 3rd century BC.

Welcome to Wurm, the game of limitless opportunity and freedom, where the actions of every player can make a lasting difference. We offer no character classes, quests or a pre-built environment. Instead, we offer players the opportunity to choose their own direction and to train any or all of the skills they desire while living in a breathing and evolving world entirely built and maintained by the players that inhabit it. Become a part of our active and involved community, and play the game you want to play in the way you want to play it! This is Wurm. Be prepared to leave your mark. Try it now for free!

What can I do in Wurm?

• Explore huge, diverse landmasses extending over 512sq km in total!
  • Modify the terrain; dig, raise, flatten and sculpt the land around you!
  • Make your home on either the PvP or PvE server.
  • Craft and use thousands of unique items.
  • Wage war on other kingdoms, and lead yours to victory.
  • Discover and fight over religious artifacts on the PvP server.
  • Capture and breed animals from the environment.
  • Train 133 Skills, 10 Player Characteristics, and 3 Religion Characteristics.
  • Follow one of four unique deities and religions.
  • Hunt creatures such as the unique red dragon, forest giant, kyklops, troll king and others!
  • Become a priest or champion of your religion and learn powerful spells and enchantments.
  • Choose one of five meditation paths and take advantage of special meditation abilities.
  • Earn as many of our 200+ skill and achievement titles as you have time for!
  • Mount various creatures, from horses and carts to unicorns, bears and even dragons!
  • Construct, crew or even captain six different ship types with other players, from small rowing boats to impressive caravels.
  • Build a variety of structures, from guard towers to stone houses to fences and statues.
  • Found your own settlement wherever you desire; own land, build a farm, a castle, or perhaps an entire village!
  • Pave roads to connect settlements and plant signs to improve local infrastructure.
  • Live off the land by creating fields to farm a variety of crops including potatoes, garlic, cotton, wheat, strawberries, pumpkins and more!
  • Cook food using a huge range of ingredients.
  • ...and much more!

Wurm Online is a totally unique, highly accessible online world that will drag you in, shake you up and down, bite you, annoy you, drive you completely mad and leave you wondering why you didn't find it a million years ago!

Both PvP and PvE server clusters are available. On the Freedom PvE cluster, you can enjoy a peaceful life being eaten by bears in the woods. One of those servers offers opportunities to get a taste for fighting with other players, though. The Epic PvP cluster offers a lot of opportunities to fight and compete with other players. It also has bears, so watch out! You can transfer your account between the clusters at any time, skills and items do not transfer but are kept intact.

Playing is easy. Just register for free and then download the Java client and packages by clicking on the Play! button on the site.

Oh, you need Java, but there is a handy link for Java up to the right. Java is, of course, platform-independent, which means you can play Wurm on Linux, Mac, and even Windows!

Creating an account is free and you can play free of charge for an unlimited amount of time* with restricted abilities. If you want to buy premium membership to unlock high skill levels, just go to the shop and buy premium for 5€ per month any time you like. When premium time runs out, your skills get limited until you purchase premium again. It really is that simple.

So, tell me in wich part of the description of the game it says its a medieval simulator, or limited to the european technologie of the 12th century.

Only difference is that those who are against actually presented an argument whereas everyone else is basically saying 'deal with it.'

Wrong, All you guys have said is essentially, " I don't like the the thought of looking at buildings made by others which I know are going to be ugly".

What I have personaly pointed out:

-- Gives players something to strive towards. Overcoming challenges and building grand things has ALWAYS helped wurm. Id even argue its a core value of the game. Thus giving us the tools to build large challenging buidlings caters to this idea.

-- Fantasy themed sandbox should give every player the opportunity to build cool fantasy theamed stuctures, like wizard towers and castles.

-- Go read the first paragraph of Wurm home page. It by no means details how the developers will limit everyone so players can't make things that might offend others.

The only true fact is one no has answered and I'm not sure anyone can....Which path will help Wurm grow the most? I believe the answer is catering to freedom of choice.

• Like 1

Enough.

41 stories is simply absurd. These are not mage towers (if priests are mages then so are archbishops) they are architectural atrocities that should be drown in their infancy. I feel bad for the freedom residents unable to save their neighbors from themselves by catapulting their error down.

How bout this, none of you are going to take this away from me so don't bother trying. I begged for this for years and now that we are about to have it you creeps are trying to take it away or nerf it before it even comes out. I will not allow this to be nerfed to hell this is a immersive feature that i always wanted just think of the LORE and the possibilities... We could remake long tall walls that shunned people must walk and at the end they find a death ceromony all for them >:D This update will bring a new influence of Libila's word and epic pal's be ready cause she doesn't want spoons she wants CASTLES! :D

How bout this, none of you are going to take this away from me so don't bother trying. I begged for this for years and now that we are about to have it you creeps are trying to take it away or nerf it before it even comes out. I will not allow this to be nerfed to hell this is a immersive feature that i always wanted just think of the LORE and the possibilities... We could remake long tall walls that shunned people must walk and at the end they find a death ceromony all for them > :D This update will bring a new influence of Libila's word and epic pal's be ready cause she doesn't want spoons she wants CASTLES! :D

Players asked for a few stories years ago. I don't recall anyone suggesting that we should be able to build freakish-looking skyscrapers until recently.

Enough.

41 stories is simply absurd. These are not mage towers (if priests are mages then so are archbishops) they are architectural atrocities that should be drown in their infancy. I feel bad for the freedom residents unable to save their neighbors from themselves by catapulting their error down.

They can cast spells...how doesn't that make them a mage of sorts?

Its funny how people are comparing this to real life landmarks. What they dont realise is that in wurm the houses are nothing but square blocks

^ Some of us 1 have multiple accs/ have had our previous ones deleted from inactivity ( like me) and some could be long term players who just joined the fourm so aruhwan if you think this is so much a community game you should take fully to all opinions and suggestions in a thread as such.

Also i really dont think we need this extreme failure rate or huge amounts of damage on higher floors if you guys dont want to see them period just say that because no amount of requirements or difficulty will stop me from making large castles in faith of Libila on each and every server next to whoever is most annoyed by them (multiple on each if need be) so SUCK it up and get some sense running through your heads.

So you have already said you will grief people. An admission of guilt and an admission of intent to grief simply to annoy people. Easier to be rid of you.

This thread has become so much blah blah blah. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Sarcaticous

They can cast spells...how doesn't that make them a mage of sorts?

They don't have robes.

41 story buildings are just fine stop acting like people will be building these everywhere. Even 10 story ones. People get bored trying to build a colossus let alone something that will require 4x the mats.

We can build 1x19 buildings right now; do you see hundreds of these all over the place?

No, because most people cannot be arsed making one, or simply do not want one.

Stop overreacting.

And Aeris I love you but I will drop a reindeer on Elias head if you don't see sense.

So you have already said you will grief people. An admission of guilt and an admission of intent to grief simply to annoy people. Easier to be rid of you.

This thread has become so much blah blah blah. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if people whine about possabilities before they come true, I'll make them come true.

I have a feeling that this will be ugly/out of place (imagine a forest of abandoned, decaying towers...), but hey - we'll see.

Edited by Hula_Girl

I don't see it as sense since no matter how people argue for it is just becomes uglier and uglier the more example pics people put up for it. I don't hate the people who disagree with me (though some people in this thread have acted like real butthats - not you of course Dark) but I will never agree with them either.

I just wish people would listen to what I say instead of interpreting it as "bla bla bla fantasy sandbox". What I am saying is this:

Large houses are ridiculous and they don't fit in with the current technology - However, as I stated already in my first post which people ignored:

- Since people want higher buildings than reasonable house structures then castle structures should be implemented.

Not sure why people have ignored this and claim that all arguments in the thread have been "it's ugly".

In addition to the castle structures there could also be mage tower structures since people seem to want that.

So basically what I would like to see is this:

- 2-3 floored houses

- castle structures (separate from the house structures, they shouldn't be the same)

- mage towers

Now, stop derailing the thread with stupid talk about dragons. You know who you are, and it is just as irrelevant now as it was the first time you brought it up.

• Like 1

Good news Rolf has apparently said the max height wont be anything near 41 stories much less, apparently he'll eventually be implementing special foundations for large buildings

if people whine about possabilities before they come true, I'll make them come true.

Hey. If you want to burn your entire life griefing people by building huge extremely time consuming structures go ahead. Knock yourself out. Seems to me you would be griefing yourself. :blink:

Good news Rolf has apparently said the max height wont be anything near 41 stories much less, apparently he'll eventually be implementing special foundations for large buildings

This is good news indeed. I think mage towers would be cool but only if you're a mage or something like a mage. And then they shouldn't look like normal structures. They should look very different.

Edited by Sarcaticous
  • Like 1

In IRC apparently. Its possible he just said that to attempt to calm down the arguments. Just like its possible he just said 41 stories at first to gauge the communities reaction. lol, I'm guess they won't even tell us on Wednesday, we'll have to experiment.

1 thing pre modeled castle structures would create more consistency and would limit imaginations 2 technology does not always come around "in order" per say we could have had planes flying around before cars on the street so throw that excuse out the derp window, 3 i wouldnt be wasting my life seeing as how playing games and doing hardly anything is my life. (Seriously i've been playing wurm alone for almost 5-6 years) and lastly i believe that creating more immersion should be the focus not "ewww it will block my view of the beautiful consistent tree models" seriously i think massive buildings would be 10 steps up on the immersion scale.

Edited by AnonMalice

Herpd derpaderp to you too sir, great argumentation skills there.

1. Consistency is not always a bad thing. If you want castles and mage towers not for their function but rather have borked up houses as an excuse to be "creative" then I really see no point in adding them. If you can't be creative enough with a castle structure that does the same thing as a house structure without looking dumb then you're not really creative at all and thus won't need them. I actually suggested castle structures and you threw that idea away, so not sure what you're really after.

2. You seem to just ignore all reasoning on this point and just repeat the same flawed argument over and over so not even going to try anymore.

3. Again, you focus on ONE comment people have said on the subject and ignore all logic behind it simply because you do not agree.

I may not agree with you - But at least I listen to what you have to say. I present solid arguments that state my point. You present "derp window" and mock people for actually caring about how the game will look with all these new additions. This even though you threw my castle idea out the window without reflecting over it - and the reason you gave was that it allowed for less creativity so either you do not understand the point of the castle structure idea or you're just every piece of shallow as those of us who think borked house towers will be ugly.

• Like 1

Hi,

look at the picts in this post, please. And now imagine it with 41 stories - nearly 6 times this high.

Would this really fit the current environment? Do we really need cities of skyscrapers, in a world where we are supposed to get lost in the forests and get eaten by wolves then? What will come next? Bicycles, fighter bombers, motorized lawn mowers?

The maximum height should be "tree hight" + a bit. So that we could see further, even in a forest. 1 or 2 stories more than in the pictures.

Anything more will just look ridiculous, in my opinion.

Have fun!

6/7 is enough as it isnt higher than the trees :P

Herpd derpaderp to you too sir, great argumentation skills there.

1. Consistency is not always a bad thing. If you want castles and mage towers not for their function but rather have borked up houses as an excuse to be "creative" then I really see no point in adding them. If you can't be creative enough with a castle structure that does the same thing as a house structure without looking dumb then you're not really creative at all and thus won't need them. I actually suggested castle structures and you threw that idea away, so not sure what you're really after.

2. You seem to just ignore all reasoning on this point and just repeat the same flawed argument over and over so not even going to try anymore.

3. Again, you focus on ONE comment people have said on the subject and ignore all logic behind it simply because you do not agree.

I may not agree with you - But at least I listen to what you have to say. I present solid arguments that state my point. You present "derp window" and mock people for actually caring about how the game will look with all these new additions. This even though you threw my castle idea out the window without reflecting over it - and the reason you gave was that it allowed for less creativity so either you do not understand the point of the castle structure idea or you're just every piece of shallow as those of us who think borked house towers will be ugly.

my impression is you suggested a fixed model structure withh 100% consistency every model instead of allowing people to create what they think is more appealing or effective my apologies but didn't we all just surf on horses for a few years until this update? Can't you all just allow this to be implemented then suggest and help grow the feature or nerf/change things After you try it? Sorry i misunderstood your idea aeris. Edited by AnonMalice