Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

41 Stories?

41 Stories Poll  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that 41 stories is too tall?

• Infinite height needs to be allowed.
    • Its not tall enough, but it shouldn't be infinite.
    • Its the perfect height.
    • The max height should be between 20-40.
    • The max height should be between 10-20.
    • The max should be between 7-9
    • The max should be 5 or 6.
    • The max should be lower then all of the options above.
    • I don't think multistory should be added.
    • I have no opinion/I don't know what you are talking about.

You people are going to have a hard time playing the game staring at the sky as much as you claim.

Am I apparently missing all the wall hacks you guys must have to use to stare at the skyline so much that having 41 story towers ruins your gameplay experience?

(Which, as has been shown will take a MASSIVE amount of time and skill to create)

Do we need to do the math again children?

@Kryx

Sure you are right but not everyone is saying that, many have given perfectly good reasons for not having it that high. While none have given any reason to set it that high, other than Rolf wants it that high.

We could all have 3 legged chars but we don't, not because Rolf didn't want us to have 3 legs (doubt he gave it much thought) but because we don't need 3 legs. So tell me why do we need 41 floors? To make a mage tower? Is it set in stone somewhere you must have 41 floors to make a mage tower? Is there really no other way of making a mage tower? Why do we need to be able to climb these mage towers? Why won't a tall model with a view point at the top do?

What are these reasons for not wanting it that high? Ruins the skyline? That's an opinion on aesthetics so doesn't really matter, as people are kind of 50/50 on it. Loading times? Bump your settings down a notch or something. It's not the least intensive game but I'm pretty sure any decent computer from that past 5 years can run it just fine. Isn't historically correct? We've got dragons and spells in the game.

Why 41? Because there has to be a limit on it somewhere and 41 is the number that is the maximum obtainable with the formula Rolf came up with. Or, maybe it's his favorite number...or maybe he just really likes the band Sum41.

Edited by Kryx

What are these reasons for not wanting it that high? Ruins the skyline? That's an opinion on aesthetics so doesn't really matter, as people are kind of 50/50 on it. Loading times? Bump your settings down a notch or something. It's not the least intensive game but I'm pretty sure any decent computer from that past 5 years can run it just fine. Isn't historically correct? We've got dragons and spells in the game.

Why 41? Because there has to be a limit on it somewhere and 41 is the number that is the maximum obtainable with the formula Rolf came up with. Or, maybe it's his favorite number...or maybe he just really likes the band Sum41.

Glad you think the opinion of half the people here doesn't matter. Also sick of seeing dragons being used as justification to endlessly introduce utter nonsense into the game.

It doesn't matter...because it's 50/50. Whichever side you choose, the same number of people will be upset. So therefore it doesn't matter -.-

It doesn't matter...because it's 50/50. Whichever side you choose, the same number of people will be upset. So therefore it doesn't matter -.-

Only difference is that those who are against actually presented an argument whereas everyone else is basically saying 'deal with it.'

If we were wall hacking, these towers wouldn't show up smarty pants..

Fine, as long as it takes a lot of effort to make I guess that makes it ok. I want an all in one trainer for Wurm that takes 10000 of every resource type ingame to build but once I have done that I will be allowed to cheat regardless of the impact it has on the game because I spent along time obtaining the right to do it so I am justified in my actions. Don't come near me if you don't like hackers..

I don't care if you can instantly spawn these towers or they take years to build, that isn't my issue. The issue is they take alot of resources or will be an additional load on the servers with very very little reward as I understand the idea of them. Maybe if Rolf explains the purpose of these massive towers, and their role in-game, people like me trying to understand why we would need them would make better headway (maybe he has somewhere, idk?).

The issue is they take alot of resources or will be an additional load on the servers with very very little reward as I understand the idea of them.

SO what?? that means maybe the slaves will earn a little more money for the work? If it wasn't for BsB's resources would cost alot more.

Mage towers?

But we Dont EVEN HAVE MAGES?!?

Unless you count postes.

Priests ARE Mages in practical usage (imho that IS what priests really are).

So we have had Mages for a while now.... and Now we get the Mage Towers.

Edited by Kyrmius

Only difference is that those who are against actually presented an argument whereas everyone else is basically saying 'deal with it.'

And what argument is that exactly? I think I covered the main ones and really, they aren't arguments. Not aesthetically pleasing...they are to the other 50% of the players. Not realistic? Neither is a lot of the rest of the game. Trees grow in days as do crops etc. Useless? It's not so much about use as it is fun, goals and achievement.

Astute observation. It isn't the first time this has happened with discussions of new or future content for Wurm. This "disagreement" is really about how People see Wurm and "Play" it more than about the content itself.

Truth is neither side of this debate will understand the other... because each side plays Wurm differently, and each side wants Wurm to stay their way and continue to grow in their preferred fasion.

Edited by Kyrmius

i have gone for 5 - 6 as a general rule, perhaps designs can be put forward on the forums to be "approved" by the islands population a sort of planning permission process, if anything is going to built higher than that?

Edited by Tenandra

40+ Think, go big!

A New York theme had been awsome =), sign me up xD

All i need to know is how do we destroy them, if i cata the bottom building does it all come down?

• Like 1

i have gone for 5 - 6 as a general rule, perhaps designs can be put forward on the forums to be "approved" by the islands population a sort of planning permission process, if anything is going to built higher than that?

That would start this argument over again with each and every 'permit' process asked for. No way would I like that.

That would start this argument over again with each and every 'permit' process asked for. No way would I like that.

I think on this issue judging by the some of the responses middle ground will need to be found you either say right sensible height limit imposed, end of or you introduce a way in which peoples ideas on higher buildings might get accepted. perhaps if the design is right and the placement good it might get approved?

All i need to know is how do we destroy them, if i cata the bottom building does it all come down?

I've been wondering about that too, however I doubt it will be like that unfortunately.

On decay: These huge towers probably will take quite a while to decay fully. However, I don't think it will take too much longer because if the decay system is working correctly on the tower then each wall should decay within the normally defined time.

Edited by Laiwyn

i cant vote myself on the height until i understand how easy or hard its going to be to knock them down. so more clarification would be good on it.

also will it kill everyone in a top layer if i do knock it down when there in it, i know noone will answer this probably but would be nice to know as would make a great screenshot someone 41stories up falls to his death ;p

Edited by shakys

I could be down for 41 stories if each one required +10% materials per wall then the floor below.

2nd floor 22 planks per wall

3rd floor 24 planks per wall

4th floor 26 planks per wall

5th floor 29 planks per wall

and so on

41st floor 905 planks per wall

that way seeing a mega building would command respect

Permits? On what you can build in Wurm? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in this thread so far. Next thing you know we'll all be paying "unsightly" taxes to a group of players within the server.

i cant vote myself on the height until i understand how easy or hard its going to be to knock them down. so more clarification would be good on it.

also will it kill everyone in a top layer if i do knock it down when there in it, i know noone will answer this probably but would be nice to know as would make a great screenshot someone 41stories up falls to his death ;p

I fell from 89 stories on the test server and hit rock but didn't die. Hopefully that's just the test server code and you actually do die when you fall that far on Freedom.

Edited by Laiwyn

Permits? On what you can build in Wurm? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in this thread so far. Next thing you know we'll all be paying "unsightly" taxes to a group of players within the server.

you make a valid point, i am a newb and will have likely misjudged any community culture, if the culture is to build what you like where you like Ala Minecraft. Personally, i don't like the idea of towers, at all.

I didn't mean to attack you Tenandra, it just came out harshly. I was just trying to make a point on how something like that could evolve into something much worse down the line.

SO what?? that means maybe the slaves will earn a little more money for the work? If it wasn't for BsB's resources would cost alot more.

Sorry, I meant resources of the server, memory, CPU, etc. Easy to confuse my bad :P

I too was wondering how this works with cata's, how do you know which floor of wall you are hitting? How do you target say the 5th floor walls instead of the 6th or 1st?

People forget the actual implications of new features have massive knock on effects all over the game, some expected and some not, this is why we "need" a reason for these towers, to weigh up the pro's and con's of it all and then say whether we want it. This isn't going to be a small change in game, it's going to be massive, not like adding a new range of chairs and tables which would have a pretty low impact on gameplay where as these new multistory buildings are going to change just about every aspect. We don't want it adding, going through weeks of drama only to suffer some form of penalty and/or reverting back and/or severe nerfs because it was a failed idea that got exploited.

Why should this thread mean anything? As rolf said in game even revolving around the chaos, we see what polls do. We get a bunch of new players or new forum alts popping up to pad the results in their favor.

41 story buildings are just fine stop acting like people will be building these everywhere. Even 10 story ones. People get bored trying to build a colossus let alone something that will require 4x the mats.

• Like 2