Sign in to follow this  
Draulius

Armor Protection Info?

I have been the user of 90ql Drakehide a long time and it has served me on many hunting trips. I am also formerly an owner of chain armor, and what I am about to claim I say with absolute certainty. Drakehide armor doesn't protect as well as you may believe, and my previous chain armor feels it had somewhat similar protection. Chain even protects the wearer against more types of weapons, and might have a higher glance rate IIRC. With that in mind, there is no reason plate armor also wouldn't be more protective than Drakehide. This could just be a situational thing, but my point remains.

Now, this could still be a total misconception. Perhaps someone here has the exact numbers, or has conducted enough tests to prove me wrong (or correct). Either way, I'd like this to be settled once and for all how good Drakehide really is, and then perhaps some people will save their money by realizing they don't really want it. In my opinion, it is more of a luxury if anything. Sure it weighs less than cloth, but saving your life is much more important... and you can always remove your armor for extra speed.

Edited by Draulius

As far as I knew, drake had the same weight as leather making movement better but provided the same defense as chain and scale had the same weight as chain and provided a bit better defense then or equal to plate.

Edited by Ruger

Uh nah buddie

Leather->studded->chain->drake->plate->scale

this is based on both damage reduction and glance rate

Edited by Gone420
  • Like 1

@Ruger

Hmm, I always figured Scale had better defense than Plate, not equal or a bit less. Is that confirmed? Also, Drake Hide weighs even less than leather IIRC.

Edited by Draulius

I can't say if it's good or not for hunting, I don't know, I don't hunt in it because it's rarer on Epic and requires actual dragon hide to improve it. The truth that animals differ, they're more unreliable so it's hard to test. I have fought a troll once, and randomly got clomped by a troll three times in a row and nearly died. The next time I fought one, I killed it without ever being hit. It's wonky and unreliable.

I can only tell you that 100% it's better for PvP because it's lightweight and higher damage absorption and a better glance rate.

Test server gives you the exact numbers. It will tell you that chain is quite a bit weaker than drake, and drake is equivalent to plate. It's extremely easy to test this yourself on the test server.

Edited by BrQQQ

I kind of agree with dralius, After my summer spent on the steppe, and 60-70fs in under 20h, I have noticed a somewhat of a nerf in the recent months. For instance, A bear beat me to near death in roughly 30 seconds whilst I was taming, in 80ql is Drake. This was last night. I am sure there are a fw more instances I could think of where Drake did not offer anysort of dammage protection or reduction, so I kind of smell a ninja nerf, but that is just one man's two cents

Test server gives you the exact numbers. It will tell you that chain is quite a bit weaker than drake, and drake is equivalent to scale. It's extremely easy to test this yourself on the test server.

Chain may be a bit weaker than Drake, but it protects against more types of attacks, correct me if I'm wrong. And that alone may make it better. Same goes for Plate.

Also, I'm guessing "drake is equivalent to scale" is a typo?

Chain may be a bit weaker than Drake, but it protects against more types of attacks, correct me if I'm wrong. And that alone may make it better. Same goes for Plate.

Also, I'm guessing "drake is equivalent to scale" is a typo?

Yeah I meant to say that drake is like plate, not like scale

I'll save you the trouble of testing it yourself but feel free to confirm it of course

At 90ql

Chain: [22:41:56] Damage=4017.2272205352783*0.4551112=1828.2851234179675 crit=false

Plate: [22:47:20] Damage=6497.180324399286*0.30650002=1991.3858840579703 crit=false

Drake: [22:48:40] Damage=6798.748972163674*0.30650002=2083.816679918323 crit=false

What you should be looking at is the number it multiplies with, which is the damage reduction from the armor. There could be differences between glance rates, but you can't really test how big the difference is.

Edited by BrQQQ

Hmm, what is the exact number of damage reduction Scale provides? And I was not aware of how to check out this info on the test server, sorry. Still, my point remains about weapon type damage (and now glance rates), it is still debatable that Chain or Plate may provide better protection in some situations (which is likely).

Edited by Draulius

BrQQQ Could you give a bit more of an indepth explanation to your Fourmula? At first glance it appers drake takes the most dammage? And the chain |Dammage| was diffrent from the Plate and drake? Thanks, Im a ever so confused at the moment.

Edited by AnarchistRise

BrQQQ Could you give a bit more of an indepth explanation to your Fourmula? At first glance it appers drake takes the most dammage? And the chain |Dammage| was diffrent from the Plate and drake? Thanks, Im a ever so confused at the moment.

The first number is the damage you do, it's quite random so it doesn't mean much in those examples. One time it can be 6000, another time it can be 12000 (obviously also depending on the weapon).

It's the log that appears on the test server when you hit someone.

Hmm, what is the exact number of damage reduction Scale provides? And I was not aware of how to check out this info on the test server, sorry. Still, my point remains about weapon type damage (and now glance rates), it is still debatable that Chain or Plate may provide better protection in some situations (which is likely).

90ql scale: [22:49:38] Damage=10211.527716070867*0.25700003=2624.3629200536 crit=false

I can't really think of any situation where drake might be worse than chain. Perhaps it has a lower glance rate than plate, but it barely slows you down so it makes up for it.

Edited by BrQQQ

The smaller the number it multiplies with, the smaller the total will be, so the smaller the wound will be. His numbers show that plate armour and drake armour have exactly the same damage reduction, while chain has a higher multiplier, meaning the damage you receive will be greater (thus it protects you less)

As far as the different types of attacks go, I have not particularly noticed any weaknes in drake armour. It protects well against all sorts of attacks and to my feeling (I cannot confirm this with logs) it has a higher glancing rate than chain armour does.

afaik that formular means: damage dealt by waepon * rate of damage passed through armor.

So that means plate and drake both block 70% weapon damage, while chain only blocks 55%.

afaik that formular means: damage dealt by waepon * rate of damage passed through armor.

So that means plate and drake both block 70% weapon damage, while chain only blocks 55%.

Yeah that's pretty much it

• Like 1

Would be a lot more simple to understand if the damage amount was equal in each log, since it differentiates the results (from what I understand), but alas.

Edited by Draulius

Would be a lot more simple to understand if the damage amount was equal in each log, but alas.

The damage you do is very random, you can't just hit 3 times the exact same amount of damage.

Would be a lot more simple to understand if the damage amount was equal in each log, since it differentiates the results (from what I understand), but alas.

It doesnt matter - the damage reduction done by armour is a set %, and you can read the percentage directly from the logs.

• Like 1

Is there a way to find out the basic glance rate of each armor type? I assume there is one?

Is there a way to find out the basic glance rate of each armor type? I assume there is one?

If there's such thing as a high or low glance rate, then you'd have to ask Rolf probably to find out the exact numbers :P

Hehehe ok, I'd be curious to know if there's an inherent 10 or 40% glance rate or if glance rate is simply a byproduct of body control.

I just tested out Drake Hide vs Plate vs Scale damage reducation on the test server, and their damage reduction difference is negligible (when at high equal quality). No more than a 6% difference overall it seems, Drake and Plate being the same, and the Scale of course being slightly better. These percentages (not including past the decimal) were pretty constant.

90ql Plate: [20:12:17] Damage=1648.48504809228*0.30653518=505.31866817023246 crit=false of 69.338% damage reduced

90ql Drake Hide: [20:29:03] Damage=2093.526023148428*0.30650002=641.6657630310202 crit=false 69.343% of damage reduced

90ql Scale: [20:09:48] Damage=3212.6876899733434*0.25700003=825.6608297708102 crit=false 74.3% of damage reduced

I am a little unimpressed with Scale, as it's only doing 5% better than Drake Hide, yet while having a lower dodge rate (correct me if i'm wrong on that) and greater weight than Drake Hide. Technically, this means Drake Hide and Scale are on more even ground than most would think. So you shouldn't feel too bad if you don't have Scale after all.

Guess that settles that then.

Edited by Draulius

I am a little unimpressed with Scale, as it's only doing 5% better than Drake Hide, yet while having a lower dodge rate (correct me if i'm wrong on that) and greater weight than Drake Hide. Technically, this means Drake Hide and Scale are on more even ground than most would think. So you shouldn't feel too bad if you don't have Scale after all.

Guess that settles that then.

Scale is heavier but yet it has a lower penalty to movement. You can test this by wearing a full set of either armour and running on flat ground.

Edited by Alyeska

Can anyone confirm Drake Hide wearers evade hits more often than Scale users?

I own both drake and scale.

I did a quick comparison a few months ago:

Drake protection feels like it is slightly better than chain and is a more viable option because it is very light and has less movement penalty. I still get dealt with some nasty hits from trolls and lava spiders while wearing drake. I was not able to determine whether or not this was because of the damage types these creatures do (Bruise and Burns).

Scale has very good protection and this is very noticeable (deadly hard, irritates/hurts). Attacks dealt to me also have a high glance rate off the scale but it feels like I have to repair it a lot more often than chain/drake/plate and the armour seems to lose more QL as I repair though this may be due to my low platesmithing and repair skill (both around 46-49).

In terms of protection value, Scale feels very much comparable to Plate but I suspect it negates weapon effects and certain damage types more effectively than plate. In particular, bruise and burn damages.

Drake feels like it has slightly higher protection than chain armour. Both still take a fair amount of damage from bruise and burn attacks.

EDIT:

To answer Draulius's question. When it comes to evading attacks, I've never noticed any difference from any type of armour I've worn. Either there is no difference, or it is too small to make it noticeable or practical.

Edited by RomaN