Sign in to follow this  
Ruger

Players Guide Of Advice To Doing Business Via Paypal

*This is a guide of advice. This is not the policy on how business should be conducted by no means. Feel free to do business how you and the other player feel best.

**Guide will soon include how to use paypal. Walk through in process of sending money as a gift and payment as well as the dispute process**

Recently there has been scams of players buying accounts that do not exist and players buying gold only to never receive it but the "scammer" has your money via Paypal, you probably sent it as a gift and now there is nothing you can do about it as Paypal sees this as you gave the person the money wanting nothing in exchange.

Whenever you are doing any business that involves real life money there are ways to protect yourself and ensure a smooth deal.

So a few tips:

§
Buying Gold/items - If the person is not willing to mail you the gold/items or meet in person top give it to you prior to you "gifting" the money to them via Paypal. Then they probably aren't worth doing business with though many players( I myself included ) will not send you the gold without first receiving the money unless you are a known and reputable player. It is a common practice for someone to take the coin and offload it onto another account or re-sell it quickly screwing the original seller. **Again this is a general guide of advice not a how-to and must do**

§
You should only try to do business with a reputable player/seller. If the seller has a problem with you asking for a reference then again they are probably not worth doing business with.

§
Only conduct trades and sales via Wurm Online in-game communications and Wurm Online Forums. Third party communications such as IRC(including in-game IRC access) and voice chat systems are not useable as evidence in cases of fraud or theft.

§
Buying accounts - The seller should be willing to provide a screenshot of the skill window. Skill dumps are easily faked. Seller should be willing to allow you access to the account prior to you sending money.

§
Player passcode - It is possible to allow a player access to an account without giving out the password. They instead can give you the player passcode so you can access the account. If you go to your wurm folder -> players you will see folders with your character names on it. Make a copy of on the folders and change the name of it to the name of the character. Then open the folder followed by that open the "Password.txt" file. Replace the line "player_password=<xxxxxxx>" with the player_password string provided by the other player. This is an encrypted form of the password. Once you are logged in and verified the account you can then send the money or you can then ask for the original password then send the money. Either way so long as you verified the account you can send the money. If player does not give you the password for the account you can then file a /support.

§
The player providing the encrypted password should 1. change the password to a temporary password and then send that hash tag and 2. if you do not receive the money right away be prepared to log into the account and quickly change your password kicking the player off to prevent any destruction of your account. Do not log your player out near a mailbox either so they cannot quickly log in and send items off. It is advisable for you to be logged onto an alternative account and nearby the account being sold so you could monitor it

§
Most importantly, Know the game rules!

Filing a support ticket/Contacting a GM:

If for whatever reason things go wrong and you do not get your gold/items/account OR you were the seller and you didnt receive your money you need to a file a /support ticket stating "Account sale scam, gold scam, item scam" followed by "never received items/account/gold/money via paypal" or something along those lines as you only have limited space to type so keep it brief and to the point. A GM will contact you as soon as possible in the meantime you need to get a few things ready.

§
Screenshots of you Paypal transaction history screen. Screenshot of the receipt if you sent money to someone.

§
To take a screenshot hit "Print Screen" on your keyboard. Go to "Start" and open MSPaint. Hit "Paste". It will/should paste a screen capture. Save this and upload to image host of choice. *Most all image host websites have a link on the page after you've uploaded that will be called the deletion link that once it is all sorted with staff you can delete the image. Its a one time view thing, once you leave the page its forever on the web. So make sure you get this link so you can delete the image so your banking/paypal info isn't just floating around.

§
Chat logs and forum logs. All communication with the player regarding the deal. The GM will want you to send this to them via forum message generally, some do not mind if you use pastebin.com but always be prepared to do one or the other. They will want these, this is your ticket right here.

Once you are contacted by staff it is best to maintain a level head. They understand your frustration and how upset you may be but their is only so much they can do and sometimes they have to have another GM step in and review things as well. So provide them with the screenshots, chat logs, forum communication as they request it and be sure to give them a full account of what happened. They will then conduct their own investigation into the allegations and if it so warrants they will ban the player who has done wrong. Due to new policy changes they are no longer offering any further support for these activities.

*Disclaimer: This is a post of a general idea on how to do business via Paypal and to contact a GM in case of a dispute. Wurm Online is no way associated with this Guide. Wurm Online and I Ruger, will take no responsibility for any damages or losses occurred. As stated in the Game Rules; "Code Club AB condones account and item sales, as we believe that players have the right to capitalize on their investment in wurm. We do not however support such activity, and will not be held responsible for any remedial action or loss that occurs, as any such activity is entirely at your risk. In the advent of account theft or ownership dispute GM will only intervene as a last resort if there is compelling evidence provided. At that stage We reserve the right to freeze a disputed account until due process ( see below ) is concluded."

See game rules by going here: http://forum.wurmonl...c/7-game-rules/

Sending money via PayPal:

These are general steps to sending money both as a payment or as a gift to a person.

1. Log into Paypal

2. Across the top click "Send Money"

3. Enter amount and select form of currency

4. Enter receivers email address then select either "Purchase" or "Personal".

- Purchase, select Payment.

- Personal, select Gift.

5. Click Continue.

6. It will roll over to the next screen, a confirmation screen. If you are paying the fee that is sometimes associated with the transactions make sure the fee box is select accordingly and same if they are paying the fee.

7. Click Confirm to confirm the transaction.

8. A receipt will be mailed to both you and the player as well it will say "<Name> you have sent <"x" amount of money> to <name>"

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 1

Very nice guide Ruger, I hope everyone reads it before trading on Wurm.

A sticky of this would go a long ways towards making sure this information is well kept for easier future reference.

Reserved since I got beat to #2 and #3 XD

Edited by Ruger

In the New Arrivals section of the forums there is a Subforums at the top listed as Game Guides. I would think that this topic you made would be better suited to that section of the forums, if the forum mods think it is suitable to be listed as a *guide*. In Town Square it will just eventually dirft off into the outer depths as just a general post of your opinion and I don't think it would qualify to be at the top of the Town Square section as a "pinned" post.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

I like the fact we can buy and sell stuff here for rl money but maybe it is time for Rolf to think about starting up a service that handles the transactions for a fee..idk

In the New Arrivals section of the forums there is a Subforums at the top listed as Game Guides. I would think that this topic you made would be better suited to that section of the forums, if the forum mods think it is suitable to be listed as a *guide*. In Town Square it will just eventually dirft off into the outer depths as just a general post of your opinion and I don't think it would qualify to be at the top of the Town Square section as a "pinned" post.

=Ayes=

Indeed. It was requested to be moved. I forgot all about the game guides sub-forum, not a place I generally drift to.

I like the fact we can buy and sell stuff here for rl money but maybe it is time for Rolf to think about starting up a service that handles the transactions for a fee..idk

I disagree completely.

Rolf needs to keep himself and his company away from direct involvement in Real Money Transactions, because if he gets involved ( even for a fee ), he then becomes legally liable for any scams / shady dealings etc that happen. which could prove costly.

While Rolf doesn't have a problem with people trading ingame items for Real Money , it is fully at the players risk and the Game Rules even state as much, and needs to remain so.

Edited by Kediec
  • Like 1

I disagree completely.

Rolf needs to keep himself and his company away from direct involvement in Real Money Transactions, because if he gets involved ( even for a fee ), he then becomes legally liable for any scams / shady dealings etc that happen. which could prove costly.

While Rolf doesn't have a problem with people trading ingame items for Real Money , it is fully at the players risk and the Game Rules even state as much, and needs to remain so.

Agree'd. The rules lay out clearly how they feel about it and how they will intervene if needed but it also leaves them unreliable for any bad dealings.