Sign in to follow this  
Durrrr

Word Of Warning

Alright, so it's not a purchasing thread, but I figured this is where most people would find the information useful.

A few days ago, I purchased some silver from an account called "Kayze". I got it cheap as he was apparently quitting and needed a fast sale. The deal went through fine, I got my silver, he got his euros. The next day, I go to log into wurm and find my account is banned for reason "Scamming". After seeing that, I decide to check out the forums and message a GM to try and resolve the issue, as the deal I made with Kayze went by with no complaints on either end.

After some research, I find that Kayze, who I bought the silver from, appears to have scammed it from someone and then sold it on to me. I know this must suck for whoever he scammed, but now, I'm down my real euros, my entire in-game bank, not just what he sold me PLUS my account. All because I traded with someone who obtained their gold from illigitimate sources, even though the deal I personally made, went without a hitch.

A word of warning to you all, please only buy from reputable sellers as of today and I'll *hopefully* see you in-game at some point in the future if/when I get back my stuff. Trade safe, people.

There's a thread about this in the GM hall. Be very wary when you deal with people who only have a few posts on the forums or nmes you have never heard of before. And try to check their reputation in global chat. If nobody has ever heard of the person and they only post to buy/sell gold, it might be better to avoid doing busines with said person.

The account I delt with was nearly 2 years old, I reckoned that was a good indicator.

Do you have any idea if people do get their stuff back in this situation Alyeska? I'm pretty concerned, as I did spent real money on the silver and my account. It's been a couple of days already and communitcation with the GM's is somewhat slow. They have a lot to deal with, I know.

I got it cheap....needed a fast sale.

That actually should've made it obvious that it was a scam.

Anyway, I hope you get your account and stuff back.

I suppose the practice of "Ban First, Question Later" is simply an attempt to halt any further use of the scammed money until the situation is resolved. While it's not a pretty one, it actually saves a bit of headache for everyone, but sadly it'll leave you without your account for a few days.

Good luck nevertheless.

I don't know the deal but it does seem odd you were just selling gold on/around Nov 30th and yet you had to buy some..IDK I do know that other guy was looking for gold and wanted the coin up front the whole deal just seems odd..

I guess the GMs will sort it out but yes always buy form players that are known and ask around if your unsure.

Edit: I could not find it but i thought i seen a auction of 2 gold coins that you had going a few days ago that started off at like 50e or something?

Edited by Kegan

Kegan, there are people that buy gold for less and sell it for more, common practice, nothing odd there.

Durrr, the Game rules state that it is common practise to lock all involved accounts until the situation is cleared. This is to prevent complications, like you buying for example drake armour with the originally scammed money.

If the situation is as you described, you are likely to get your account back, but you are probably going to loose the coins and Wurm staff can't do anything about the Euros. However, you can file a complaint with PayPal about goods/services not received and they will deal with that.

• Like 1

Kegan, there are people that buy gold for less and sell it for more, common practice, nothing odd there.

Well i guess but it seems like that would be a huge risk and would not be worth it to me for a few euro.

If there is a "broker" guy doing this send me a pm maybe i will start selling mine to you too.heh

Like Keldun said, I thought I would buy some, then auction off what I have in 2, 1g auctions, starting at what I paid for it. Sure I was only standing to make 20-30e, but I'm at college and that's 5-6 hours work pay for me, which is quite a nice bonus to make flipping what I thought would be an easy profit. Some people disagree with that sort of practice, but in my mind it's a legitimate way to earn some extra beer money, although now I'm down ~10 hours work. Oh well, good job I'm a gambling man haha.

Edited by Durrrr
  • Like 1

i have bought 7g via forums since i started playing wurm and all have gone off w/o a hitch save 1 who didnt want to front the coins before i sent paypal money,never got the in-game money and it took 3 days of talking with paypal but it did finally get resolved and i got my RL money back at least

Edited by jacobw

not sure why you flaged my post in your post as i am still waiting for a reply back from the first seller and no transactions have gone on,i would appreciate you un-linking as it carries an inferance i have not done anything to deserve.

It has nothing to do with you it was to show that Durrrr was trying to sell gold back on November 30 but he says he was trying to start up a buying and selling type thing so sure i will take the link down.

I'm not planning to start a buying/selling dealer type thing, I just saw some silver going for cheap and knew it would sell for me. Please don't think I plan on starting a silver dealership :)

Worrying story; I bought some 'cheap' gold recently and it never occured to me that I needed to worry about anything other than making sure I didn't get scammed (which I didn't)

Hopefully people who transact in good faith on the Wurm forums won't end up banned for good! (or even breifly, ideally)

How did you recieve the gold cod? Sounds quite bad you got caught up in this, any words from the GMs?

Face to face trade, not cod, as I was in the area. Yeh Enki has been pretty helpful.

It wasn't your fault that you bought the gold from somebody else? That itself was a legit trade. The only way i can see you being caught up in this is if GM's thought the scammer was offloading the coins onto a seperate account?

I don't really know what's happening, I think they just tracked the coins and I was unlucky enough to be in possession of them. Pretty much out of my hands now, as the funds were "gifted".

You were lucky to get out of your trade with him Kegan when you did.

Edited by Durrrr

Well he wanted to buy a gold coin from me but he wanted the coin up front and i don't do things that way i always get my money first. It looks like he went and scammed the next guy out of his coin then turned around and sold it to you real fast so he could cash out. How did you know he had coins for sale? I don't remember seeing any post of him selling them.

fella i buy gold/silver from is very trust worthy and been buyin from the same fella for the past year. As a suggestion ask around to us old farts about who is trustworthy when you need to buy ingame money. As we would know whos proven reliable. (and dont take the adivse of just one person ask as many as ya can, generally if the same name lands your way go message him n tada). Sorry to hear about wat happend to ya, hopefully it gets resolved.

And that should be a warning. Fast, cheap, without trace on forum.

That should put some red lights in your head.

yep that would probably be my coin. cause i made the mistake of trusting him to send the Money after payment. I still havent been reimbursed