Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Release Date Set To 12/12/12

Frankly joanavon I think you should show more respect to the long time players on Chaos. They moan the most because they have the most to moan about.

No they don't. Besides it's not like they are trapped there anymore now or had to surrender their anything when Wild was turned into the Chaos Legacy museum.

Speaking for myself, I can remember a time not too long ago where every single change was for Wild, and the PvE servers were left in the dust, or had changes forced on them from the wild server - despite having a lot more players.

I'm sure Chaos will get it's updates - but there are some things higher up on the list for the 1.0 release.

+1 (I miss troll carts)

I hope there will be portals to the new server, I'm looking forward to start over and help new players :)

Edited by Sharkin

I'm sorry but that is just backwards logic.

You see us chaos players moaning about a broken chaos server for well over a year now, and claim that there is more players going to PvE. Well why don't you hazard a guess as to why that is? It can't possibly be due to the fact the chaos server is PvP deficient is it?!

I'm defiantly very excited about wurm 1.0, the new features are brilliant! But the real reason I'm excited is because I would finally like to see changes (I would like to add we have been stuck with this rubbish for well over a year now and when rolf went to fix it he made PvP happen less O.o) to the chaos server which will bring back PvP and something along the lines of what we had with wild. ( best suggestion I have seen is put in PMK's but find a way to keep the server boarders open).

Don't get me wrong, I think expansion on PvE is brilliant, but I definately think it's time to give chaos some loving as I know myself and many others are coming to the end of their tethers waiting for Chaos to be changed back to something we actually want to play.

Edited by Redd

Yeah Joanavon show some respect, they were here FURST.

Yeah Joanavon show some respect, they were here FURST.

And they will be there last, regardless of what; if any, changes are made to chaos. Simply because they are so invested into it for so many years.

And they will be there last, regardless of what; if any, changes are made to chaos. Simply because they are so invested into it for so many years.

...what? You are more devoted to the game simply because you got there before other players?

Sorry, you lost me there.

I'm sorry but that is just backwards logic.

You see us chaos players moaning about a broken chaos server for well over a year now,....................

They have been moaning over there on Chaos before it was Chaos for longer than I have played Wurm.

Time and time again changes were made to the game trying to supposedly fix Wild when in truth there is no fix really that will make a lot more players go there.

And during the last 3 years the PvE population has exploded in numbers, so it makes perfect sense that Rolf would ofcus on what is actually making him profits and is the largest growing section in the game.

We waited for WIld's fixes for a couple of years and Epic of course while the overall game suffered and since he started working on the game and not worrying about only the PvP side of things Wurm has enjoyed one of its most prosperous times.

Not only that WIld ( Chaos ) has since been allowed to travel freely back and forth to Freedom and enjoy these benefits in the from of making silvers from Freedoms growth of population.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

Protunia your post is absolutely dripping with a complete lack of actual knowledge of what has happened with the Wild/Chaos server. You're just posting generalisations about years of changes and some completely stupid statements about people "benefitting from making silvers from freedoms population". I don't even know where to begin with how ridiculous what you've just said is.

We are not talking about changes from eyars ago or "fixes to wild to make it more popular" like the old arguments of years past. We're talking about the state that the server has been left in since over a year ago Rolf threw freedom kingdom and freedom code onto it and left it to stagnate with barely a thought for the entirety of that year. When he decided to make Celebration we said "why are you making a 4th pve server and refusing to let us have 1 full pvp raiding server in this cluster?". So tell me why is it so unreasonable that now, players such as myself from the Chaos server who have put up with the ruined terrible state its in (caused by Rolf throwing in freedom code on the server) are asking why a FIFTH PvE server is required on this cluster and STILL we cannot have ONE SINGLE full pvp server.

It's a matter of variety and allowing for all forms of players. Yes PvE is more popular in wurm and yes it has a larger population than the pvp population. Thats why there are 4 freedom pve servers and one Chaos. So i and many others feel that its far more than reasonable to have that one server be full pvp and full raiding and actually have things like BL and kingdoms.

For those who i know will now state that people can experience such thigns on Epic. Epic is a different game entirely and again it is simply good business sense and even better customer service to give your playerbase a full spread of possibilities in their gameplay. We have two main Clusters

We have Epic. Fast paced, pvp enabled, KvK enabled, scenarios, artifacts, BL and Libila and characters that are relatively new. This enables players to get into the pvp in wurm quickly. The servers here are all pvp enabled but there are home servers where players can at least feel safer than on the main Elevation KvK server.

We have Freedom PvE. Older servers with a slower skillgain rates and no PvP. Here there are no scenario's, BL/Libila or objects such as "artifacts". But the playerbase is large and the people enjoy their grinding and the sense of accomplishment that comes with the hard earned work they have put into many years on their servers. The servers here are all non-pvp.

Then theres Wild. The oldest server with the original KvK setup and the oldest playerbase (in most cases, some freedom players have been around just as long) which was tacked onto freedom over a year ago. This server used to be where players on this cluster could experience pvp that is not fast paced and quickly gratifying like Epic. A different playstyle with slower skillgains, more effort required and set up on one very large server rather than several smaller ones like Epic.

I could go on with this point but i hopeyou guys get what i'm trying to say. There are two clusters with two very different playstyles and with the way things are right now there is no ability for players on the older server cluster to experience full Kvk, pvp, raiding etc because Rolf has turned Wild into a half breed of pvp and pve server that just doesn't work. It's not a matter of "the old veteran players of wild just want their playground back" it's simple logic. There SHOULD be at least one full pvp server on this cluster to allow people the choice because there are people here, the people who've sat on chaos waiting for change and people on other freedom servers who don't want to go to chaos as it is now who just want to have the choice.

Everyone stop making it "us vs them" we're all Wurm players. We're all different. We all have different playstyles and different desires for our Wurm experience and the simple fact is that the people who want the pvp and raiding experience on this server cluster have been shafted time and time again. THAT is why i got annoyed at the idea of yet another server being thrown down for pve instead of allowing just ONE server with full pvp. What the people who feel like me are, is the selection of the wurm community who are recieving crap all for customer service. Anyone who disagree's i'll be glad to colelct up the hilarious replies and responses we've had from Rolf and his team in response to all the requests for something to be done about it.

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 1

are asking why a FIFTH PvE server is required on this cluster and STILL we cannot have ONE SINGLE full pvp server.

There is no new PvE server going to be added to this cluster.

He is making a completely NEW cluster and adding servers to that.

Its not easy for Rolf to fix Chaos when you only say "GIVE US PMK's" and he says "PMK's isn't possible there" and you reply "GIVE US PMK'S NAOW!!!!".

Maybe Chaos is in a broken state now but it still has a higher population now than anytime during the last 3 ½ years I played.

Don't claim that the new animations and stuff won't benefit Chaos or PvP as well, because players have been asking for combat animations since day 1 of Wurm.

Setting aside PVE/PVP debate which really needs to go in its own thread...

I think all new PVE servers should be done like this 'Fresh Start' from now on, experienced players cannot ship themselves there and colonize the map. Experienced players can certainly go there with new alts to help the newbs learn the game right alongside them, but a new community is truly being developed with others having a chance of being the expert everyone goes to. Move the tutorial to the central newb spawn so that there is at least a safe starting point with Phill Mugs, so that we don't see a noob corpse wall keeping out the mobs as the first 'fort', and they can boat/port out if they decide this server was not for them. Change rez so noobs do not go back to central spawn, but rather spawn at closest guard tower so that they spread across the map (as towers are built). Need to put a stake in the ground with a player driven goal for what is required for the PVE server to be reconnected rather than it being up to dev whim. X number of seaworthy ships sufficient for trade sounds reasonable (corbita or bigger?) There should always be one server in this 'Fresh Start' state as the recommended newb spawn.

I would like to see a survivor island server, you can only port in as new alt, you get nothing but flint and steel to start (or better if fixed so a torch can start a forge), start with crudetools and work your way up, and starve at first because Phill Muggs is afraid to live there. If you manage to boat out you unlock an achievement for having survived and there is a one way escape portal for those who could not hack it. The reason for it to be another server is that those who stay would be more likely to respect the environment and live as hunter/gatherers, which some would find to be a more attractive place to live than urban sprawl.

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

Its not easy for Rolf to fix Chaos when you only say "GIVE US PMK's" and he says "PMK's isn't possible there" and you reply "GIVE US PMK'S NAOW!!!!".

Maybe Chaos is in a broken state now but it still has a higher population now than anytime during the last 3 ½ years I played.

Don't claim that the new animations and stuff won't benefit Chaos or PvP as well, because players have been asking for combat animations since day 1 of Wurm.

Who said we're screaming "give us PMK's!!!!!" ? I sure didn't.

Chaos does NOT have a higher population now than it did before....thats just...a riduculous statement.

It could be very easy for Rolf to fix Chaos,, noone knows for sure because he refuses to even give us simple statement about ANY desire to do so.T here have been many suggestions, many ideas and many attempts to get rolfs opinion on any one of them. The problem isn't people arguing for changes that Rolf can't deliver. The problem is that we just get ignored entirely or fobbed off.

I agree, This isolation measure hopefully will be an effective means of combating the issue of long established groups of players franchising themselves across yet another freedom server for no real other purpose then simply something new to do. Much like a landscape of strip malls this makes the maps and areas feel dead or dynamic-less since it doesn't matter how rich you are you still can only play at ONE PLACE AT A TIME. All the other franchises you've stamped across the cluster are then at that moment and for most moments of their history devoid of actual life or activity playing on them. I am very interested in watching to see how this experiment unfolds.

• Like 1

I still think we will see some maintenance alts on the old servers, but much less than prior servers since not being able to bring a colony ship and truly having to start over is only attraction to some. I think even those that try it are going to realize how hard it is to be a newb alt when nobody is giving them high QL coc/woa tools and horse carts, they will quit and come back. A very big difference between a noob that hopes it gets better and a noob that knows how much better yet has to suffer timers and massive fail. So I think it is good for old and new servers, that the old ones will still have some life in them.

But make it a player driven goal based reconnection to give experienced players a reason to go there, and that is work hard to open trade and help their fellow noobs.

Edited by yarnevk

Hopefully the separation will be left in place for a substantial period of time as to allow the new server to mature and take it's own unique growth pattern. The VAST majority of experienced players will abandon attempts to settle the new server after a week or two with absolutely no colony assistance from their mains leaving the server a lush growth bed for actual new player consumption. These actual noobs don't need help this isn't a 3rd world starving island nation with a small pox epidemic. They don't need a freedom UN envoy.

• Like 2

The game won't be much more marketable. All the better looks and cute animations won't offset the simple issue of obscene amounts of time required to do anything at low skill/tools levels. The new server makes all that even worse, as there won't be any established communities to provide help, materials and tools for all these newcomers. This will be especially true if you go on wide marketing campaign, trying to reach for example minecraft players, this will cause a huge influx of players who expect moderate-to-fast pace in their game.

Even worse, this type of players may put away the minority group that actually belongs in Wurm. I'm not certain it will happen, but it's possible. These folk will be constantly annoyed by others and also suffer lack of any connection to the old community playing on current freedom group. I'm sure they will want eventually to move there, and having to leave behind everything they have may not appeal to them.

If you really want to do something right here, I suggest you read my old post:
/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/67257-some-things-on-freedom-that-must-change-imho-beginner-related/

Make the game more beginner friendly, it doesn't have to touch "endgame" experience at all. Otherwise I'll be back here one day to say "I told you so".

• Like 1

I don't think anyone has addressed the issue with new players and the spawn point yet. Without veterans, I hope the GMs get a crack at the starting area and get rid of all the spawns new players can't handle. For a good couple hundred tiles, there should be no lairs for trolls, spiders, crocs, bears or scorpions. Keep hell hounds from spawning there as well. We'll all have 1 FS and noob tools, take some time to make sure the starting "zone" is do-able for starting characters, please.

I for one am looking forward to a fresh start, not connected to the regular cluster.

Where did you get that from?

We’re also planning to open up at least one pristine freedom server that won’t be connected to the freedom cluster for an undetermined amount of time in order to provide that total newbie feeling.

It clearly states that it will be a freedom server that is not connected to the rest of the cluster for a time. Meaning there are plans to open the connection at some point.

Oh, and the cat's out of the bag, not box. Unless Schrödinger is a dev.

Ah, but at least it turns out the cat is alive ;)
  • Like 1

Where did you get that from?

It clearly states that it will be a freedom server that is not connected to the rest of the cluster for a time. Meaning there are plans to open the connection at some point.

I read it completely different.

At least one pristine freedom server = most likely more than 1 = a group

that won't be connected to the freedom cluster = a seperate cluster of servers

for an undetermined amount of time = anything from a week to forever depending on how things are going.

Until the time when Rolf connects the new server(s) to the current ones they will quite literally be a seperate cluster of servers.

Chaos does NOT have a higher population now than it did before....thats just...a riduculous statement.

Hmm, a few weeks ago it consistenly had 70+ players online, now its back to 25ish.

Wild rarely had more than 70 players online for the past few years, since most players were on Freedom to grind up their skills....

(talk about being responsible for ones own problems)

The game won't be much more marketable. All the better looks and cute animations won't offset the simple issue of obscene amounts of time required to do anything at low skill/tools levels. The new server makes all that even worse, as there won't be any established communities to provide help, materials and tools for all these newcomers.

I think your dead wrong really, because MMO players alot of them like challenges and being able to have a chance at being the best player at doing something. The older servers are so filled now with tons of high skilled players that the market is all but closed for anyone coming into it. Players enjoy trading and being able to craft things that other people will buy and on the old servers those things are pretty much gone.

I think the New Freedom Cluster will be very successful for the game and the players who go there alike.

It should be an option to spawn into the new server, it should not be a forced noob choice. If they prefer to start into an urban village as a baron's peasant let them start in Freedom Isles, just let them know up front the new server is not connected to the others and has no high end colonization so they can make an informed choice. They should be able to port out if they make the wrong choice, but comes with a skill reset (so you don't have to clutter your account with unused alts awaiting alt deletion, but still start over just like you made a new alt)

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

It should be an option to spawn into the new server, it should not be a forced noob choice. If they prefer to start into an urban village let them start in Freedom Isles, just let them know up front the new server is not connected to the others and has no high end colonization.

I am sure you will have a choice.

Hmm, a few weeks ago it consistenly had 70+ players online, now its back to 25ish.

Wild rarely had more than 70 players online for the past few years, since most players were on Freedom to grind up their skills....

(talk about being responsible for ones own problems)

If you would simply look at the player level graphs for wild a year ago you will instantly find out you couldn't be more wrong.

Sign in to follow this