Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Release Date Set To 12/12/12

Allright the cat’s out of the box - we’re officially releasing Wurm Online 1.0 on the 12th december 2012.

What it means is that Wurm will contain improvements that we consider make the game marketable. We’ll finally have character customization, visible armour, multi storey buildings and nicer looking creatures.

We’re also planning to open up at least one pristine freedom server that won’t be connected to the freedom cluster for an undetermined amount of time in order to provide that total newbie feeling.

As most of you have noticed during all these years we’ve kept a low profile when it comes to attracting customers. It has been a deliberate strategy due to our special development situation. It has worked well and we have attracted the customer base we’ve needed to keep the flame burning.
Once we’ve released, that strategy will change to a more open one and we will spend more time communicating next year. Stargrace and Wossoo have done a great job with that so far with the twitter and facebook accounts and tried to keep you guys informed about what we’ve been doing in development. 
So, there we are! Bright future ahead:) Except of course that the world ends on the 21st:(

View the full article
  • Like 5

How appropriate. Wurm started on 6/6/6 and launches on 12/12/12.

• Like 4

So, there we are! Bright future ahead:) Except of course that the world ends on the 21st:(

At least we'll have played it for a bit, eh? ;)

• Like 1

So does that mean you won't paying attention to the suggestions forum and bug fixes much anymore?

so does this mean this was a 8 year beta? If so, man this has to make history!.

So does that mean you won't paying attention to the suggestions forum and bug fixes much anymore?

Not at all!! Nobody said there can't be a v1.1, a v1.2, a v2.0, etc ;)

so does this mean this was a 8 year beta? If so, man this has to make history!.

World of Tanks is currently running version 0.8.1.343

That is most certainly not a beta game as far as I know.

Wurm doesn't use conventional version numbering anyway, or it would jump from Wurm 0.99 to Wurm 5.4.1 instead of Wurm 1.0,

Lol, coolios. But the most important question: Are the servers and skills going to be reset?.....

Lol, coolios. But the most important question: Are the servers and skills going to be reset?.....

More like the most stupid question.

• Like 1

We’re also planning to open up at least one pristine freedom server that won’t be connected to the freedom cluster for an undetermined amount of time in order to provide that total newbie feeling

So if its not connected, we cannot take our current players there, correct? And then, after some amount of time it will 'connect' and then we can?

Interesting.

Why, oh why, are you releasing another player versus environment server on the release of version 1.0 ? Are there not enough servers catering for the player versus environment style of game play?

A lot of players on the current Freedom group of servers have statistics good enough for player versus player but will not travel to what is now called Chaos for fear of being killed upon entry. I can testify that new player killing does happen.

When and if you cross over to chaos, look for Duce, Caius,Kswords, Fooli, Emoo, Demondan, Red,Jberg, Nadroj, Horton, Kylebooze, Hordern or myself. Any one of us will be willing and able to assist you in your passage through.

Upon entering Chaos, it is wise to ask if you can join a village, as this IS a PvP server, and you will be attacked.if you deed outside of an alliance. That is, you will be attacked by Tower Guards belonging to that kingdom influence. So, if you deed in the south- east of the server and do not join any recognized group,, you may be attacked by guard towers belonging to either Jenn-Kellon HQ Alliance or Mol-Rehan Alliance.

However, if you come to Chaos, talk to any one of the names I have listed above and you will be assured of safety and some good advice on how to defend yourself and others.

Overall, the community on Wild/chaos is a good one, and we don't suffer the idiotic trolls you so often find on the PvE servers.

Unfortunately, there are people on both sides who's goal it is to attack anyone they see in 'local'. Most of the community on wild do not abide by this and are ready and willing to help and assist new players instead of killing them. For more info, I suggest talking to Duce, Fooli or Horton.

All the best, Lancelot.

Edited by Lancelot
  • Like 1

Oh, and the cat's out of the bag, not box. Unless Schrödinger is a dev.

• Like 1

This is awesome! I think I'll give it a shot again at the release! :)

Sadly, I can't convince my friends to play it, because they don't play pay2win/pay4fun games. (While this game is obviously pay2win etc, it has so much more stuff making it worthwhile. meh.)

Anyway, will servers reset upon 1.0? Don't know how you handle this stuff here. Because current maps are kind of.. well hollowed out.

Salem for example won't reset upon release, while most other reset-able games do.

Bryn, there is a brand new server (PVE) for freshly created characters only, so anyone interested in map+skill reset can pretty much start there, and people from other servers will not be able to access this map for an unspecificed time so that it can develop clean from the start.

I imagine even a number of veteran players will be starting brand new characters there for the chance to experience a fresh start, and new players will be on a better level to create their own place in a fresh community. A gamewide reset never happens (that I have ever heard) in games where players have often spent hundreds of dollars to game cash shops during the beta; they are much more likely in games that do not have "real money" shops.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Oh, and the cat's out of the bag, not box. Unless Schrödinger is a dev.

Sometimes a cat does get out of the box. Swedish cats in particular are reknown for this.

cat-box.jpg

American cats on the other hand, tend to have much more trouble getting out of boxes. It's sad. I blame the educational system.

obvious-cat-box.jpg

• Like 8

More like the most stupid question.

No, I had just been hearing chatter about it is all. Not a stupid question, just a question I want to know that answer to

Can we get a 16+ age rating on the release of 1.0 so we dont have to watch what we have to say in all public chats.

• Like 1

Can we get a 16+ age rating on the release of 1.0 so we dont have to watch what we have to say in all public chats.

Age ratings and moderated chats have no connection.

Figures... Rolf releasing Wurm 1.0 ushers in the Apocolypse. Ah well at least we'll get to play a few days of it. ;)

• Like 1

I expect your primary advertising targets for 1.0 are Minecraft players. But if you could find a way to reach old Roma Victor players, you might get good results, too. Any of them that were there for the gameplay and not just the historical sim would be like to love Wurm.

- Teggs

That does bring up something what are the PR/Staff going to do to get the word out about 1.0? I guess i need to do a Google on Wurm and see what i get, lol

The new players that I talk to, that get most excited about Wurm, are what you might call "old school" players who are a little burnt out on most of the recent MMORPG offerings. They tend to be people who have been in gaming for more than 10 years, many started back in the "first generation" of online games such as the original Everquest, AC1, UO, DAoC, Realms, Meridian 59 etc.. They tend to appreciate games that have a slower pace, require patience and more thought than pure fast action, flashy graphics or immediate rewards, and feel that the current crop of triple-AAA MMORPGs has somehow let them down. They are also much more intrigued by indie gaming in general, as perhaps their best chance for finding what the current market lacks for them.

On the other hand, an awful lot of people come here because they are familiar with Minecraft and are very curious about Notch's history with the game. I am not familiar with the state of Rolf & Notch's relationship, but assuming they remain on good terms, I think just a simple Twitter from notch expressing pleasure at Wurm going 1.0, would go a long long way. Even better, if someone could get an video interview with Rolf and Notch waxing nostalgic about their days together at Wurm's beginning, the funny unexpected things that happened, plus a look at where Wurm is today -- I think a LOT of people would be develop a growing interest in Wurm.

Another aspect is Wurm players reaching out to the gaming communities they used to belong to, before discovering Wurm. There is probably some strong coorelation between the game Wurm players used to love best, and the type of players that end up coming here. For instance, Faeran, Beau "Turkey" Hindman and I had all originally met back in Vanguard and had loved that game, and I don't think it is a total coincidence we all eventually drfited by separate paths to Wurm. So off-topic subforums of games that current Wurm players came from, might be a good place also to start conversations about the game, with people still active in those communities maybe sharing some of their experiences.

I think projects like http://www.serversaredown.com/ are an excellent way to showcase the game as it is a great looking site that highlights many of Wurm's best features. So if I were to go back to any of my former/current gaming communities and try to explain to them "what Wurm is like", I would probably point them to that website as a great place to get an understanding of "what Wurm is". (Maybe Faeran & Griphyth can get lucky and "score" a joint video interview with Rolf+Notch ^_^ with a little help from Rolf in approaching Notch) YouTube LetsPlays can also be a great source of coverage -- if anyone follows popular LetsPlay channels that focus on sandbox, crafting, indie, oldschoool games, it might be a great time to suggest they take a new look at Wurm.

Probably however best to wait until the new character models, animations and other new features are ingame and working bug free, so I would hold off on any "community outreach" until sometime after Dec 12, rather than in anticipation of it. On the other hand, first day of a new server is a powerful magnet so thats a good argument on talking more about the game prior to the Dec 12 release. Still it would be nice to get all the potential bugs worked out first. Not that there will be any, hahahaha. Personally, I am a little concerned about lag issues with the new character models, animations, and multistory additions, and would love to see those tested first. I probably would have liked a few weeks ingame with current players actively looking for issues, before a big "public launch".

The path I would probably avoid though, is large flashy expensive advertising banners that tend to draw in bored people with low attention spans looking for some brief diversion, as they always struggle to find Wurm appealing, and are just as likely to go back and say negative things about the game. Personally, I would avod "social media" as I personally don't think that is Wurm's ideal demographic market audience, with its emphasis on quick-fast-new-hip. Instead I would aim at game writers who shy away from "press release" style reporting and instead go into very detailed indepth writing about a topic. The markets I would try targeting are the ones that seem to be into "nostalgia" gaming and looking again for an old-school feel, combined with excellent writing and journalism. Rock Paper Shotgun, the Escapist, maybe Quarter-to-Three's Tom Chick, and of course PCGamer which has always had a longterm affection for this game.

• Like 6

Sign in to follow this