Sign in to follow this  
Garis

Will Multistory Floorplans Be Smaller?

As we prepare for multistory buildings in 1.0, should we be expecting for floorplans to shrink in order to reach upward? For example, right now a 1x15 takes 47 carpentry to plan. A 1x15x2 would have (presumably) twice as many floors and walls, so would that take 94 carpentry?

In order to grow upward, will our buildings need correspondingly much smaller footprints? How will this affect "castle" designs? What sort of things are the players hoping to build?

Regards,

Smaller buildings would not make sense; since a larger bottom produces a more stable multisory building and building a tower is harder IRL than building a 6 story mansion.

Popular theory is 30 carpentry for second floor then 20 carpentry for each additional floor for a max of 6 at 99 carpentry.

I would like to see number of stories effected by type of skill masonry for stone and carpentry for wooden buildings to give stonemasons a chance to shine as well.

Currently there is little reason to grind stonemasonry past 50 other than to imp your forge. ;)

Edited by Samwithwiki

Whoa, my strongholds will be epicly HUGE!!!!!, Now can i toss a tower ontop? ^_^

Their hasn't been a fair vote to decided what is the most popular opinion on how high multistory should go. Anything short of Rolf asking for people's input in the patch notes won't suffice either. A lot players don't read the forums.

Two points I think are important and are well supported with historical trends.

1. Completely denying F2P access to something is far inferior to giving them a limited experience. GV supports this idea well. Two story should be an option for F2P

2. Building complex and grand things are what folks talk about and often aspire to do. Look at all the forum posts where players brag about their grand creations. Wurm wonders where not 3x3 houses with a 10 tile fenced area.

What's going to hurt Wurm more, denying folks the opportunity to strive for grand goals or creating a scenario where some players might have to look at something they don't like?

I think if its too tall and skinny and doesn't have a bigger base it should decay faster because it is more unstable.

I am hoping for at least 5 levels. More is honestly quite welcome. Two or hree would be disappointing.

1. Completely denying F2P access to something is far inferior to giving them a limited experience. GV supports this idea well. Two story should be an option for F2P

Stop it with this "f2p should get x, y, z", if they really want to play the game they'll pay for it. They already get too much as is.

• Like 2

My opinion (this is speculation as a player, i have no inside knowledge of the final multistory mechanic)

Multistory should work on a threshold system like stone buildings, at 30 carp you get the option to add a second layer, 60 carp, a third, and 90 carp, a 4th...

IF the building is stone, than 30 mason for the first (ground) floor, 60 for the second, and 90 for a third (and then if you have enough carp as well, go ahead and add a 4th wooden layer on top)

Stone walls should require a stone wall underneath, so if you switch from stone to wood at level 2, levels 3 and 4 also have to be wood. unless you take the wood wall out and rebuild in stone.

not sure how interior walls would or should work as far as that goes, i guess stone or wood as long as you have the skill threshold met for building with that materiel at that floor level.

• Like 1

Stop it with this "f2p should get x, y, z", if they really want to play the game they'll pay for it. They already get too much as is.

I agree. Give it a rest.

Their hasn't been a fair vote to decided what is the most popular opinion on how high multistory should go. Anything short of Rolf asking for people's input in the patch notes won't suffice either. A lot players don't read the forums.

True, there has been a lot of discussion on it though, and hopefully we'll hear more on the mechanics of it soon.

First, who brought up F2P?

Second, this already happens with stone buildings.

Unless there is a drastic shift in the house building requirements, I'd not expect it to require less than 20.01 for a second story, and (hopefully) more likely to be 30+

Personally Id like to see structures with towers. The material requirements are already built-in limitations.

I like Spell's suggestion for the floors, although I'd want at least 7 high for 90 skill. Ideally 10 or 12. With Evil Eyes on top.

Sauron towers ftw.

My opinion (this is speculation as a player, i have no inside knowledge of the final multistory mechanic)

Multistory should work on a threshold system like stone buildings, at 30 carp you get the option to add a second layer, 60 carp, a third, and 90 carp, a 4th...

IF the building is stone, than 30 mason for the first (ground) floor, 60 for the second, and 90 for a third (and then if you have enough carp as well, go ahead and add a 4th wooden layer on top)

Stone walls should require a stone wall underneath, so if you switch from stone to wood at level 2, levels 3 and 4 also have to be wood. unless you take the wood wall out and rebuild in stone.

not sure how interior walls would or should work as far as that goes, i guess stone or wood as long as you have the skill threshold met for building with that materiel at that floor level.

Perfect IMO except I'd prefer up to 6 floors max. 4 is a bit limiting considering what was built in medieval times and what's possible elsewhere in wurm.

The numbers i tossed out were arbitrary and reflect my own opinions of course, i could see 15, 30, 45, 60, and 75 for 2nd,3rd,4th,5th and 6th wooden floors respectively, but still feel that stone would be better capped at 60 and 90 (of course 3 bottom levels of stone, and 3 more of wood on top could be interesting as well)

edit, actually, with 15 being the cap for an extra wooden floor, that would allow non-prems 2 story buildings as well, which might not be a bad thing.

Personally waiting to see what the limitations will be if any; although, I really hope the max isnt 4.

No, I do not agree with having to have masonry skill involved with making houses more so than it already is. I could live with having to have a certain amount of carpentry for successive floors, but having it to where building a stone house and wooden house use different skill requirements is a bit much. Masonry is a right pain to skill anyway and needing 90 skill to build a three story stone house would be ridiculous. Without adding much more functionality to masonry I cannot agree to a change like that.

• Like 1

How about instead of a flat threshold, just have higher floors cost more skill per tile? eg tile on the first floor costs 1 per floor and 1 per wall, tile on the second floor costs 2 per floor and 2 per wall, etc.

Edited by meiyeeer

I like the idea of walls having the same skill requirement regardless of height, but tiles increasing in requirement. Unfortunately, the maths just doesnt make sense... For example:

bottom level 2x2 = 4 + 8 = 12 carp

2nd level 2x2 = 8 + 8 = 16 carp (total 28)

3rd level 2x2 = 16 + 8 = 24 carp (total 52)

4th level 2x2 = 24 + 8 = 32 carp (84 total)

Then you could put a hard cap on maximum height to avoid 1x1 towers going too high if you wanted (in this case they could go 10 levels at 95 skill... around the same height as a maximum dirt wall perhaps?).

The trouble with multipliers like this is that larger buildings become unreasonably difficult. whats the point in having multistorey at all if you need 80 skill to build a 2-storey 4x4?

sooo after my tangential thinking there.... let's have level-caps every 15 skill, with a hard cap on maximum, and normal wall/floor carp requirements for all floors :D

I like the idea of walls having the same skill requirement regardless of height, but tiles increasing in requirement. Unfortunately, the maths just doesnt make sense... For example:

bottom level 2x2 = 4 + 8 = 12 carp

2nd level 2x2 = 8 + 8 = 16 carp (total 28)

3rd level 2x2 = 16 + 8 = 24 carp (total 52)

4th level 2x2 = 24 + 8 = 32 carp (84 total)

Then you could put a hard cap on maximum height to avoid 1x1 towers going too high if you wanted (in this case they could go 10 levels at 95 skill... around the same height as a maximum dirt wall perhaps?).

The trouble with multipliers like this is that larger buildings become unreasonably difficult. whats the point in having multistorey at all if you need 80 skill to build a 2-storey 4x4?

sooo after my tangential thinking there.... let's have level-caps every 15 skill, with a hard cap on maximum, and normal wall/floor carp requirements for all floors :D

Lets have 20 story 1x1. I like towers.

10 or more stories for 90+ skill please.

First, who brought up F2P?

Second, this already happens with stone buildings.

Unless there is a drastic shift in the house building requirements, I'd not expect it to require less than 20.01 for a second story, and (hopefully) more likely to be 30+

When folks start saying that something shouldn't be available until greater then 20 skill its essentialy a talk about limiting F2P. The stone building mechanic has been around for a very long time. I'd say it predates all of Wurm's F2P lessons.

Historical trends show that Wurm benefits more when F2P are given limited access. Personally, I'd rather have full P2P servers because F2P seem to cause a lot of trouble for established paying customers. The thing is I can set my personal opinion aside when the supporting evidence is as strong as it is.

Why is everyone so against F2P making a second story? History shows that giving them a sample will more likely encourage then to get premium so they can do even more. Their is no evidence what so ever showing that denying access would help Wurm.

How about instead of a flat threshold, just have higher floors cost more skill per tile? eg tile on the first floor costs 1 per floor and 1 per wall, tile on the second floor costs 2 per floor and 2 per wall, etc.

No. 1) It would encourage pyramids, 2) It encourages tall skinny buildings, 3) 5 stories wouldn't be achievable (mental math, may be wrong).

I'd rather see no hard cap at all. Limit by increasing the materials needed for constructs as the building gets taller or require that we have to go down an reinforce lower levels before expand upwards. Who's going to try and expand when a single wall takes 1,000 or 10,000 planks?