Sign in to follow this  
Endulin

Weapons And Hunting Questions

So I have looked through the wiki and the forums a bit, and haven't really seen what I am looking for or missed it completely.

I am wondering how weapons work. By that I mean, how do weapons calculate damage? I know there is a base damage that they have, but what all affects that?

Also, what is the best way to level up fighting too? I know that you go out and hit things, but I'm sure there is a smart way to go about it rather than hit, get hit, rinse, repeat, and probably die a few times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Endulin

Every weapon has a base damage, and from there the quality of the weapon has a very big effect on the damage you deal. Your body strength also affects damage dealt, as well as your skill in that weapon (to a smaller degree though).

The best and most efficient way to level up fighting is to first level up your shield skill. Pick a shield (large wooden is probably the best due to high block rate and less weight than iron) and remove your weapon, and attack a pig in defensive stance. Move on to foals around 20 skill, and full-grown horses around 35 skill in your particular shield. If you can stand to get 40 or 50 (or more) shield skill first, raising your fighting will be insanely faster than if you started hunting from day 1. Other than that, find yourself a good high quality weapon (preferably with nimbleness, some kind of damage enchant, and circle of cunning) and some decent 60+ql chain armour.

One thing I forgot to mention is that you should definitely hunt on horseback. You may get 21 body control just from shield training, but if you don't, make some arrow shafts and practice archery on a target until you have the 21 bc necessary to ride a horse.

So I should always be fighting using the defensive stance?

I will have to look into getting a good weapon, and a horse as well.

Thank you for the help so far.

You can do a bit of defensive fighting to get your main fighting skill higher, but you should already have a bit of that from shield training as well.

But at some point you want to get normal and agressive fighting up as well so you can do more damage.

I suggest you make a couple hundred war arrows and improve them. As high as you can. Then buy a high quality willow Longbow with numbness and CoC. Kill things like lava spiders preferably champions and greenish and other conditioned lava spiders. If you can't find lava spiders then kill unicorns. When using bows you can easily safely level fight skill. Do this on horse back for you can quickly retrieve the arrows and you can escape if the monster decides to aggro you even though your far away.

I suggest you make a couple hundred war arrows and improve them. As high as you can. Then buy a high quality willow Longbow with numbness and CoC. Kill things like lava spiders preferably champions and greenish and other conditioned lava spiders. If you can't find lava spiders then kill unicorns. When using bows you can easily safely level fight skill. Do this on horse back for you can quickly retrieve the arrows and you can escape if the monster decides to aggro you even though your far away.

and then you have low weapon and sheild skill

I'd suggest listening to ian, make some arrow shafts and get 40 archery off a target, then get 30+ sheild skill(large wooden is best) get a horse, a weapon( I suggest large axe as they parry now, and do alot of damage), and some chain or plate, go kill everything is sight except crocs, trolls, and scorps that arnt fierce/angry

While yinz are on topic is it poss or kinda normal to have frostband on arrows? While having xxx on bows.

While yinz are on topic is it poss or kinda normal to have frostband on arrows? While having xxx on bows.

As a mag priest when im just sitting around mining or w/e, every time i get 45 favor i cast FA on an arrow, their very useful