Sign in to follow this  
CommonEnemy

Black Powder

This may have been suggested before but I thought about it for awhile and came up with some possibilities for use in-game.

Making the gunpowder

-Grind flint with grindstone

-Grind charcoal with grindstone

-Grind rock shards with grindstone

-Mix the three together

Possible use

-Could be used in a new item called a Musquet(Made with a wooden stock and an iron gun barrel)

-Lead bullets could be made from a lead lump(0.20 Kg)

-Black powder and a lead bullet could be used with the musquet to load it(Aprox 45 seconds each Total = 90 seconds loading time)

-Firing time = less than bow: Uses new skill called Sharpshooting(Came up with it in 2 seconds, up for change)

-More useful in hunting rather than pVp due to long loading times

-Could be used for a new item called a Cannon

-Lead cannonballs could be made from a lead lump(4 Kg)

-Similar to musquet: longer loading times and firing times

-Very powerful on stone walls

-Similar to catapult but about 30% stronger

-Could be used for a new item called Dynamite

-Use a carving knife on a shaft to make an unfinished dynamite casing

-Use black powder on an unfinished dynamite casing to make Dynamite or a Stick of Dynamite

-Useful in mining, use Dynamite on a rock tile or a cave wall tile

-Creates less rock shards then mining by hand

-Clears one tile of rock (Due to the fact that in real life gun powder would be weak if used in mining)

-Chance of a cave-in on explosion determined by mining skill

-If standing within 3 tiles of the explosion you get a medium-severe wound depending on the distance to the explosion

-Tile explodes 45 seconds after being lit with a steel and flint

Yes, Wurm is a fantasy game and it takes place in a medieval setting but maybe it's time for some new technology. Due to the rarity of the resources needed I think that gun powder would work in Wurm and would not be used to grief. Cannon's might be a bit much but I think the other two suggestions would work fine. What are your opinions?

Edit: Mixing the gun powder would use the alchemy skill

I like Cannons just make them have to be assembled on site and more powerful than a catapult. (Draging so slow that you might as well leave it after)

Musket-20 tiles

Pistol (loaded with musket ball) - 10 tiles

Pistol (Loaded with bird shot) - 5 tiles

Musket highest damage lowest accuracy

Pistol(musketball) middle dam middle acc

Pistol(Birdshot) middle dam middle acc

Chance of hurting yourself when firing (should be very primitive guns)

Also 1 min 30 seconds each item seems good to me for a load time.

Can only shoot once every 5 minutes your arm hurts from "blowback" or something.

Dynamite  ;D Only if If it can be used to blow walls and has a timer until it blows up. Should be very difficult to make and 25 firemaking skill to use. Make dynomite crafting a Firemaking subskill.

Mining with explosives sounds good, many people have suggested it, wanted it, etc.

No guns

Just a friendly suggestion. Dynamite would be a subskill under mining, so basically, first time miners/demolitionists have a chance at collapsing a mine in a 4x4 radius, or something similar.

Now for the musket, it would be excellent for killing deer, pigs, and maybe bears, but it would suck against wild creatures such as scorpions, spiders, and crocodiles.

And for the cannons, there would be a class called Barrage, and under it would be two sub classes, catapult and cannon.

Hopefully my suggestions are worthwhile.

why have catapults when there are cannons.... the only thing that sounds semi ok with the time period would be some explosive, but I don't even see that to be correct.

I'm gonna have to say no. To be honst, mining with explosives yes. I wouldn't mind that but Cannons and guns I feel wouldn't be all that good at all

Why don't we just add machineguns, drilling machines, excavators and all sorts of stuff to wurm? It's not even the year 1000 for god's sake!!!

Why don't we just add machineguns, drilling machines, excavators and all sorts of stuff to wurm? It's not even the year 1000 for god's sake!!!

Lets just take the suggestion completely out of hand and jump to the future shall we.

Teleporters anyone?

Gun powder was invented in 1044 AD

Gun powder was invented in 1044 AD

And the end of the middle ages was ~1500 AD. If medieval times is the theme your going for in wurm this doesn't seem to far fetched.

Yeah, but until the scientific revolution or something near that you often were better off with a bow.

People will whine constantly if guns or cannons get added so no. Mining with explosives would be very nice though.

Make a cannon take forever to make and take 20% damage every shot.

If a cannon is 50ql then it should be able to take out a 50 ql wall in 5 shots if every shot hits before the cannon is destroyed.

Also cannons should decay quickly so you have to make them withing 1 week of a raid.

Guns should be horribly inaccurate in this time period and if you read the suggestion they will be useful but arnt going to be the gratest thing ever.

They should take forever to load and only be shot 5 minutes apart meaning you arn't going to have people who just shoot during fights. It's a chance for added damage in the beggining of a 1 v 1 and in a large battle you would have to use it very wiselt. Also imagine grinding gunshooting skill, Alchemy for powder, gunsmithing for the gun without all of those decent you are not getting a good chance of shooting someone and even if you do the dmg will be crap with a crap gun.

The reason I like this idea is it will add another dimension to pvp and pve. not enough options for fighting right now imo.

EDIT: Cannon should also take 1-2minutes to reload.

If muskets are by some miracle added I think there should also be attachable bayonets.

No, no, no. Fully opposed to guns and cannons. Maybe mining with dynamite will be ok, but it could also be used for say, destroy furniture and useless forges and ovens?

mining with dynamite sounds fun but the rest no way it aint the year 1064 yet so till then no way and then even when wurm reaches it no

mining with dynamite sounds fun but the rest no way it aint the year 1064 yet so till then no way and then even when wurm reaches it no

Do people even study history at all?

Wurm has Full Plate Armour, something that on earth didn't appear till well after the use of gunpowder weapons on European battle fields.

Wurmanites just don't like change because it sometimes brings trouble and unbalance to the game.

The fact of the mater is change is needed though Wurm is still a beta game reguardless if its gold or not things will be added and changed and skills will be hard to gain one day then easy the next. Deal with it don't shoot down an idea just because it could make something you've worked on forever not as good. Without additions to the combat system it will always be crappy and we will never have 200 man armies facing off on a battlefield.