Sign in to follow this  

Cotton Volume

Okay so there was a conversation in GL this morning, the conversation is as follows;

[03:18:09] <H****> i've noticed that cotton is pretty much the ultimate skill crop.. seems to give decent skill at any level

[03:18:18] <D****> same here

[03:18:23] <S****> yeah

[03:18:38] <Cita> too bad it licks butt to transport or store in large quantites

[03:18:58] <D****> no problem, use catapults

[03:19:00] <H****> just drop it into the ground if you havve too much ;P

[03:19:10] <D****> step 1 : drop on ground

[03:19:14] <D****> step 2 : walk a tile or two away

[03:19:18] <D****> Step 3 : take items

[03:19:20] <D****> Step 4 : repeat

[03:20:37] <Haips> drop the cotton as you harvest it, then come back and collect them with the cart

[03:22:04] <Dogukakugi> or just bring the cart along in the first plavce

[03:23:59] <Cita> http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k460/citawin/wurm201211230322.jpg?t=1353660682 <-- here lies the problem, only 1999 cotton fit in a bsb, why? who knows. But the mass is screwy if you ask me.

[03:24:19] <X****> its likely just because not exactly 16,000 volume can fit in a BSB, but rather everything below it

[03:24:22] <Cita> You can put 10s of thousands of wemp in a bsb but only just barly 2k cotton

[03:24:26] <X****> ohh

[03:24:38] <X****> well, wemp is probably smaller :P

[03:24:44] <K****> it is

[03:24:57] <C****> voluuume

[03:25:09] <Cita> 1 wemp = .5kg 1 cotton = 1kg

[03:25:21] <Cita> so by that math only 4k wemp would bit in a bsb

[03:25:32] <Cita> but i have like 7000 in a bsb atm

[03:25:34] <K****> BSBs don't count by weight, they count by volume

[03:25:55] <Cita> exactly my point, im pretty sure the mass of cotton is screwy

[03:26:26] <K****> huh

[03:27:10] <K****> Cotton and Colossus Bricks have the same volume lol

[03:28:01] <K****> You're right, the volume of cotton is screwy. lol

[03:28:13] <Cita> yap, and the most cotton you can fit on a cart at a sinle time is ~780, unless you combine your cottons then its 1 64kg wad per raft

[03:29:34] <Cita> Im pretty sure rolf added one too many 0s in the cotton volume coding.. cuz 20k cotton per bsb is far more consistent with other items

Conversation pretty much says it all, Cotton volume = Colossus brick, surely this must be a bug? Anyway, it would be nice to see a revised volume on cotton to make storage and transportation much more convenient.

Please note: all names were removed from the chat log and the screenshot, just in case anyone didnt wish to be involved for whatever reason.

Cotton in Wurm is unspun, and unwoven. It's extremely bulky. No bug to be found here.

Have a picture of handpicked cotton... these ladies are probably carrying about 20 kg.

COTTON-LABOR155-600x364.jpg

What is the heaviest; 1KG of iron or 1 KG of cotton? :P

Joke aside, cotton is certainly the bulkiest, it's not very compact and obviously takes up a lot of room. If anything, the strange-ness is the massive volume of cotton produced by a single field.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

Lowering its volume would wreak havoc on all the cotton currently stored in BSBs. If you start with individual pieces at 1kg and 8 volume, but changed it so that 1kg was 2 volume, then every BSB with 2000 cotton would suddenly have 8000; this is why the change to garlic destroyed most people's stockpiles, some time ago, because the inverse happened with changing volumes.

I agree that cotton is a pain to haul in large quantities--and I would know more than most people--but it doesn't strike me as a bug or even an oversight. Unprocessed cotton is very fluffy like that. Anyone is free to lobby for a change that they want, but I don't think this is a bug.

If anything, the strange-ness is the massive volume of cotton produced by a single field.