Sign in to follow this  
Fireflyb

"passive" Pet Setting

As title says, I think this would be awesome. Just a simple "right-click ground, Pet" setting that allows you to toggle your pet's status between attacking aggressive creatures, or staying passive and only fighting if attacked first.

Hi,

Just a simple "right-click ground, Pet" setting that allows you to toggle your pet's status between attacking aggressive creatures, or staying passive and only fighting if attacked first.

Not sure if this is needed at all. Have you ever seen a pet that actually attacked by itself? To my knowledge they get attacked first usually, aggressive creatures seem to really hate tame pets and always target them, not the owner.

I'd support a full renewal of the pet/ taming system though.

As it is at the moment it doesn't make much sense at all, at least in PvE. Pets are nerfed in such a way that it's close to useless to lead them out of their safe cages at all - I've seen an Old Champ Croc getting mauled to 50% of it's health by an ordinary Mature Brown Bear (while croc & me killed the bear), and I have seen a Venerable Slow Black Bear die in 4 hits from a Young Croc. The moment you tame a fearsome monster it mutates to a weak travesty of itself, and and if you attach the rope then, it gets sissified into oblivion.

Further, the "pet" commands are very few, and often don't seem to work at all. For instance while you're in combat mode. I may be too stupid to realize how to do correctly, but there's not much I can do once we're attacked but trying to keep the pet alive.

I'd suppose:

• A tame pet should be equal to the wild equivalent again, lead or not. I'd accept it going into kind of "defensive stance" when tamed and / or lead, less damage, but more defense then. 1 step for "tame", an additional step for "lead"?
  • The minimum time it stays tame should be 1 Wurmian day per taming level at least, as long as it receives no damage. A Champ Croc going from "Loyal" to "Untame" in 4h (= 30 minutes RL time) is just ridiculous.
  • Pet commands should work even in combat. No problem to bash an enemy with your shield, swing your sword at him and yell "Croc, come and help! Now!" all at the same time, right?
  • There should be a better set of pet commands that actually work. These would have optional keybinds and would work even in combat. For instance:
    - "Go there." Like the one we have. When not lead, target is a tile.
    - "Attack my target." Same as above, target is a creature.
    - "Follow me". Like using a rope, in slightly bigger distance.
  • And "behaviors" for the pet. Like:
    - "Aggressive". It will attack any hostile creature within it's aggro range.
    - "Defensive". It will attack whatever is attacking you, or it. Nothing else.
    - "Neutral". It will not attack anything, only defend itself.

This way the taming skill would make sense again, more than just showing off with caged critters.

Disclaimer:

A.) Since the pet nerfes I haven't done much more with pets but taming/ charming them, and penning them. So my information may be outdated. In this case I ask for pardon, and for correction.

B.) I don't play PvP, so I will have omitted all the problems with taming there. As I understand that in PvP other mechanics may be needed I kindly ask to read my .sig, and to maybe support this. I'm very sure that this would be good for all of us, PvE or PvP people.

C.) There's 4 ways to get a pet: Taming, Charming, Dominating, Rebirth. Are they really balanced?

Have fun!

Sure i've seen it, for example riding a tame horse through a crowd of mobs you get the message "Horse name tries to kick Creature"

Would be nice to be able to set pets to passive, maybe have it like Deed guards where it attacks eemy kingdoms but not random aggro's, meaning i can take a croc out hunting with me incase i run into people but not have it steal half my weaponskill :P

Edited by Bart

If they just extended the stay tamed time it would be a great improvement i think without mutch danger of changing game ballance.

• Like 1

Yeah the taming time is pretty low for stronger creatures, however I've tamed a regular horse once (with around 47 taming on Epic - dunno what that is with curve) and it stayed at extremely loyal for at least 12 hours... whereas it seems that animals that are harder to tame like hell horses tend to have rather extreme un-taming timers.

I might make a bug report for this, but last night when I was hunting (on my hell horse) I examined my hell horse to find it "calm" (4th stage of loyalty), then EXACTLY 4 minutes later, I tamed it and found it to be "nervous" (2nd stage.) The horse did not get hit ONCE during that span of time, and the time from that 2nd 'examine' to the horse's untaming was much, much longer than 4 minutes (I didn't actually keep track of that, but I know it was longer lol.)

Really weak creatures like horses seem to stay tame for ages, ive had a horse tame for well over 3/4 days yet even something like a bear goes untame after a few hours, seems a bit unbalanced, i know taming periods wer nerfed for aggro's but it seems like it was an overly extreme nerf