Sign in to follow this  
Shiraek

Multi Storey - How High Can You Go?

One Real Life week is 2 Wurm months and in that time I could build a 2 story cabin, barn and split rail corral without magical or electrical tools out of wood not much stone around here. ;)

I call bs to being able to do all that in real life by your self with out any kind of power tools or gas tools. B)

Edited by Protunia

One Real Life week is 2 Wurm months and in that time I could build a 2 story cabin, barn and split rail corral without magical or electrical tools out of wood not much stone around here. ;)

Wurm time is faster than real time to reflect the amount of time it takes to do things being sped up as well. :o

Please read my post again, specially the part says: all this was done in like 12-14 hours real life time and the other one : lets say for the shake of exageraion that all this ocupied a wurm week

PD: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Edited by KunAlt

Wurm time is faster than real time to reflect the amount of time it takes to do things being sped up as well. :o

LMAO. It would take you two months just to cut down the trees, drag them to the work site and cut them to proper specs for the building. Forget hoisting the LOGS that weigh a heck of a lot more than you to the second floor. You've never really worked in any type of construction have you. Someone get me my hip waders. It's getting real deep.

Edited by Macgregor
  • Like 2

We needs us a good old fashion barn raising.. or better yet a well diggin' party!

2340293-groundskeeper_willie_super.gif

• Like 1

About 3-4 days ago, i´ve started a small 5x5 enclosure, the work included among other things, flatening the 5x5 area, chop about 9-10 trees and replanting 5-6 new ones, building of one 1x1 gate house, one 9 tiles house, 12 tall stone walls, reopening and remodelling a mine and the path leading to it, some furniture (bed, coffins. bsb, forge, etc) all this was done in like 12-14 hours real life time, including the gathering of all materials used (sand, clay, wood, rock shards, iron, copper for lamps, some food), lets say for the shake of exageraion that all this ocupied a wurm week, now show me an example of your so called medieval technology that will should let a single dude acomplish all this work in a week while figthing some oversized spiders and a handfull of flaming dogs.

Salu2.

This is a bit of a fallacy. Are you suggesting that because Wurm isn't 100% realistic in all areas, particularly some key ones that make it _playable_, it should abandon all pretense at realism and put crazy fantastic stuff in like 24 storey stone towers and dragons with laser cannons?

A valid opinion but one I don't agree with :)

Cheers,

Shiraek

This is a bit of a fallacy. Are you suggesting that because Wurm isn't 100% realistic in all areas, particularly some key ones that make it _playable_, it should abandon all pretense at realism and put crazy fantastic stuff in like 24 storey stone towers and dragons with laser cannons?

A valid opinion but one I don't agree with :)

Cheers,

Shiraek

I think is time to put the old mediaval idea in a side, there is so many examples where this argument is presented that is really over used, i mean if you look around there is not a few, but an inmense number of things not being even close to real in wurm, while some others have a indeed an intede reality mimic.

My example is just one side, but what about the crafting and gathering thing? did you see in real life all people being miners and farmers and carpenters and masosn and so on all at the same time? or mines opened ever 500 meters.

If one person can build a huge ship with no more tools than a saw, a hammer and a knife, and then improve it 40 lvls with 2 24 kg logs, how will be so unreal to build a taller estructure than irl.

If you look in this forum you will find a post from one person that maked a huge lava spike, how many lava spikes can you find irl? And what if someone just say hey, thats so unreal, people can´t build spikes cause in real life lava flow and can´t mantain a such form, and also he builder should get incinerated allmost at the same instant? Should we cut this person creativity for the shake of ralism and trash is hard work because some one dislike it?

All about wurm have a quote of unrealism and thats a good thing, thats what make the game atractive, and the more limits you put, the more boring the game will turn in the future.

Salu2.

LMAO. It would take you two months just to cut down the trees, drag them to the work site and cut them to proper specs for the building. Forget hoisting the LOGS that weigh a heck of a lot more than you to the second floor. You've never really worked in any type of construction have you. Someone get me my hip waders. It's getting real deep.

As far as hoisting up logs it is done by attaching a chain to each end of the log, the chains to a yoke and the yoke to horses. Then use two logs braced against the building as a ramp to pull it up.

You have obviously not done any pioneer style building. :P

Edited by Bachus

I think is time to put the old mediaval idea in a side, there is so many examples where this argument is presented that is really over used, i mean if you look around there is not a few, but an inmense number of things not being even close to real in wurm, while some others have a indeed an intede reality mimic.

My example is just one side, but what about the crafting and gathering thing? did you see in real life all people being miners and farmers and carpenters and masosn and so on all at the same time? or mines opened ever 500 meters.

If one person can build a huge ship with no more tools than a saw, a hammer and a knife, and then improve it 40 lvls with 2 24 kg logs, how will be so unreal to build a taller estructure than irl.

If you look in this forum you will find a post from one person that maked a huge lava spike, how many lava spikes can you find irl? And what if someone just say hey, thats so unreal, people can´t build spikes cause in real life lava flow and can´t mantain a such form, and also he builder should get incinerated allmost at the same instant? Should we cut this person creativity for the shake of ralism and trash is hard work because some one dislike it?

All about wurm have a quote of unrealism and thats a good thing, thats what make the game atractive, and the more limits you put, the more boring the game will turn in the future.

Salu2.

I can't agree. I think wurm has a strong medieval medium/low-fantasy feel and 24 storey houses will wreck it. Wurm has a limitation on absolutely everything you can do based on skill, and all of those limitations are internally consistent within the game and "believable" in the low-fantasy setting. It is not minecraft :)

Yes, one guy building a house in a week might not be realistic, but it's _more_ realistic than any game previous where you built a house in a real-time, first person skill-based setting!

To put it into perspective, your typical highrise office block is 30 floors, and they're made of concrete and steel.

Prior to mass produced steel, the only really high structures were things like the stone pyramids whose base was wider than their height.

My guess 30 base skill to build an additional floor and 20 carpentry/stonemasonry (by type) to build each additional floor; wich would make a maximum of 5 floors at 90 skill.

Pictures have been posted of 4 stories or more done on test server.

I see this as agreeable and in line with requirements in other areas. Multistory houses should be buildable without having 90 skill, but they shouldn't be available to construct for any character with less than 30 Carp imho (similar to Stone House construction requirements).

{ No I do not have super high Carp skill so I won't be benefiting if the requirements are similar to this. I will get a second floor built (maybe third) and that is all }

Edited by Kyrmius

I can't agree. I think wurm has a strong medieval medium/low-fantasy feel and 24 storey houses will wreck it. Wurm has a limitation on absolutely everything you can do based on skill, and all of those limitations are internally consistent within the game and "believable" in the low-fantasy setting. It is not minecraft :)

Yes, one guy building a house in a week might not be realistic, but it's _more_ realistic than any game previous where you built a house in a real-time, first person skill-based setting!

To put it into perspective, your typical highrise office block is 30 floors, and they're made of concrete and steel.

Prior to mass produced steel, the only really high structures were things like the stone pyramids whose base was wider than their height.

Ok, i made my point, as same as you, and clearly we have different opinions, but you really need to revisit your history books, your last statement is not true at all, srry.

I agree that there should be limits based on skill but if you look at one of my previous posts you will see that there are records of 6 story apartment buildings in 100 BC. There are also some 3 story ones dating from 1200 BC still standing.

If you want a more appropriate aged example look at the 'Tower of London' a 6 story castle with 9 story towers still standing today and built in 1100 AD. B)

29.1.400.400.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

Edited by Bachus

hmm.. for those asking for more realism or realistic relationships in the mechanic... how about anything larger than 3x3 requires teams of skilled masons/carpenters to complete, or a single person 1-2 Wurm months to complete IF they have supplies already on the job site?

A multiple level structure would require at least 2 skilled masons/carpenter working together just to plan.

Solves the "popping up everwhere" issue, as well as increases the need for positive community involvement as side gains, and if it is within the 4x2 tile count of F2P, they would have a more marketable support skill.

::edit insert::

Or make the additional stories require a COMBINED skill over a set amount, and allow skill linking like we have for priests to build larger structures. Again, makes those F2P players everyone seems to be up in arms about that much more usefull.

Edited by Hussars

Two words: wizard tower

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Two words: wizard tower

? Edited by Hussars

I agree that there should be limits based on skill but if you look at one of my previous posts you will see that there are records of 6 story apartment buildings in 100 BC. There are also some 3 story ones dating from 1200 BC still standing.

If you want a more appropriate aged example look at the 'Tower of London' a 6 story castle with 9 story towers still standing today and built in 1100 AD. B)

I'm totally with you there. Six would be fine IMO for high skill. I wouldn't complain about 9 but I think it would be really pushing it.

24 is ludicrous.

• Like 1

I'm totally with you there. Six would be fine IMO for high skill. I wouldn't complain about 9 but I think it would be really pushing it.

24 is ludicrous.

Tell this to some of the middle orient masons and architects that have builded some of the ancient survival mosques with thin high minarets,

The Taj Mahal minarets are about 6m to 4m wide and 48m, 16 stories high. Build 17th century.

The Qutb Minar, albeit conic from 14m to 2m is 72m, 24 stories high. Build 15th century.

Even the Romans already build their aqueducts up to 36m, 12stories and their Colosseum 48m, 16 stories high.

These examples of ancient feats of tall construction weren't built by one person using a mallet and trowel. They took thousands of men years to build using complex schemes and technical solutions. Wurm's current construction methods does not emulate this properly. A group of highly skilled masons spending a hundred man-hours building their own Tower of London would be one thing; everybody'd grandma and their dog building multifloor estates because it's "cool" and easy to do is another.

If we made impressive buildings require impressive effort by really scaling the difficulty and time consumption exponentially by the number of floors added I would fully support setting Valrei as the limit. I love the idea of masonry skill linking for those really tall ones.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

These examples of ancient feats of tall construction weren't built by one person using a mallet and trowel. They took thousands of men years to build using complex schemes and technical solutions. Wurm's current construction methods does not emulate this properly. A group of highly skilled masons spending a hundred man-hours building their own Tower of London would be one thing; everybody'd grandma and their dog building multifloor estates because it's "cool" and easy to do is another.

If we made impressive buildings require impressive effort by really scaling the difficulty and time consumption exponentially by the number of floors added I would fully support setting Valrei as the limit. I love the idea of masonry skill linking for those really tall ones.

Are you really serious? Have you builded or terraform anything in wurm yet? Are you telling me that a single dude with a shovel a saw and a hammer can do anythinl like we do in wurm?

I don´t get it really, people just like to twist and re twit this bull rear product realism argument all the time, like to point fingers and trow hey, thats heavily unrealistic while in a unrealistic game in allmost every aspect you can think.

PD: in real life if a wolf jump on you and ripe you in pieces there is not a such thing like revive in token, neither a severe wound from which your guts are hanging will turn in a ligth scratch using .10 kg of cotton.

Are you really serious? Have you builded or terraform anything in wurm yet? Are you telling me that a single dude with a shovel a saw and a hammer can do anythinl like we do in wurm?

I don´t get it really, people just like to twist and re twit this bull rear product realism argument all the time, like to point fingers and trow hey, thats heavily unrealistic while in a unrealistic game in allmost every aspect you can think.

PD: in real life if a wolf jump on you and ripe you in pieces there is not a such thing like revive in token, neither a severe wound from which your guts are hanging will turn in a ligth scratch using .10 kg of cotton.

This has nothing to do with realism, it has to do with properly controlling the accessibility and balance of highly desirable game features.

Let's put it simple for you specifically: Giving everyone with 30 carp the ability to construct 3-story 3x3 houses would be comparable to enabling anyone with 40 FS solo a dragon and successfully butcher it.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

Ok, since there is 4 pages of replies to this thread, I'll just ask here: Does anyone know about how high you would be able to build your house? And what the carp/masonry is based on to build them?