Sign in to follow this  
Smithor

Tile Found : Snow

Hey there Everyone, Smithor reporting on a tile sighting, straight from the test server!

Now I've looked around, and I haven't seen any posts on the topic, nor a wiki page on the tile so I've created this topic on the forums to let you all know.

The tile I have found, is that of snow.

wurm_211.jpg

Now, I stumbled across this, seemingly random tile after I got lost whilst trying to obtain my things from the Red Dragon, and I've done some simple testing on it.

Dropping dirt on-top of the snow tile does not change its type, simply raises it.

Digging either in the corners, or in the center gives you a dirt, and does not change the tile type.

It's walking sounds are the same as grass.

It appears to only appear on-top of dirt, and then only at high altitudes.

Now I only had limited items, as I had to drop some in the run from the dragon, and so I couldn't do any testing with a rake, nor scythe, nor sickle.

I tested with the shovel, and there was no other action except for dig.

There was no option for forage.

Axe's had no effect on the tile.

Hands did not give any additional possibilities.

I also tried swinging a pendulum, but that was a long enough shot as it was.

Just in case you would like to do some testing yourself, I've taken some additional reference photos.

View of Lake

wurm_212.jpg

Beside the lake.

wurm_213.jpg

Opposite side of the mountain

wurm_214.jpg

And finally, the Opposite side of the mountain, where I found yet more snow.

wurm_215.jpg

Now that this is up, do whatever you want with the information, celebrate, throw parties, (try and find a way to destroy it?)

If you want to get lead to this location (for the lake shown is NOT spawn lake), I will gladly lead people here.

This is Smithor, from the Test Server, signing out.

Sword of mag huh? :P

Nice find though, maybe Rolf will be adding snowy peaks to mountains and stuff!

Sword of mag huh? :P

I have two actually... Found them both within 3 minutes of each other, one was on the ground, and the other randomly in the forge.

Nice find though, maybe Rolf will be adding snowy peaks to mountains and stuff!

I'm hopping there will be snow balls or something, seeing as there are snowmen... Winka Face ;)

...A lot of items in your inventory, are you living on the Test server?

...A lot of items in your inventory, are you living on the Test server?

Me and a friend died attacking the red dragon (he died twice, first time was when he first found it), so when I went back, I grabbed both his stuff, and mine. I almost always have all my tools on me, since I hate running back and forth to get tools (at the cost of having less goodies).

I am sort of living on the test server I suppose. I came back to Wurm, and realized my account had been wiped, and I didn't feel like restarting by myself, so I quickly built myself a place on the test server. But then I met a friend on the test server, and have joined his deed on Celebration. So now I do both, and do active work on the test server.

What happens on the test server, stays on the test server. :P

What happens on the test server, stays on the test server. :P

Heh, That's a good one.

Try using charcoal on the snow to make a snowman

If I head back to the location, or find another patch, I'll try it out. Should prove whether or not snow counts as a grass-based tile.

Edited by Smithor

It'd be interesting to have snow tiles that are pretty much limited the way you say, be even more interesting to have them move up and down in elevation as winter sets in. Granted people who've chosen to live on mountains would absolutely hate it.

This is one of the problems of a game in constant development. Ideas that may have been originally thought of or only recently thought of are difficult to implement due to people adapting to the current rule set.

I saw this on test nearly a year ago back when I was a newbie. Didn't think anything much of it, it was my first mountain climb ever (that I only did by cheating my way to 70 climbing) and so I hadn't tried mountains before.

Would be cool to see this in-game, and would epic if it changed as seasons changed, so more snow in autumn/spring with only a tiny bit left on the highest mountains in summer. Also, skis anyone? :P

Seeing as this is an old feature that only appears in little clumps (was the same the time I saw it) my guess is that this is a feature of past times that may not be implemented. Which would be a shame as it'd be cool :D

It'd be interesting to have snow tiles that are pretty much limited the way you say, be even more interesting to have them move up and down in elevation as winter sets in. Granted people who've chosen to live on mountains would absolutely hate it.

This is one of the problems of a game in constant development. Ideas that may have been originally thought of or only recently thought of are difficult to implement due to people adapting to the current rule set.

I think it would be cool if snow was a specialty spawn, only spawning frost/ice varieties of mobs (Frost trolls, snow spiders, ice bugs, etc). It would be fine if it had no use, similar to the other decorative tiles such as tundra, steppe, or marsh. These kind of tiles create expansive hunting grounds for animals, and its always nice to have large, expansive areas barren of trees.

is that my sword?

Could be.

I saw this on test nearly a year ago back when I was a newbie. Didn't think anything much of it, it was my first mountain climb ever (that I only did by cheating my way to 70 climbing) and so I hadn't tried mountains before.

Would be cool to see this in-game, and would epic if it changed as seasons changed, so more snow in autumn/spring with only a tiny bit left on the highest mountains in summer. Also, skis anyone? :P

Seeing as this is an old feature that only appears in little clumps (was the same the time I saw it) my guess is that this is a feature of past times that may not be implemented. Which would be a shame as it'd be cool :D

I think regional season change wouldn't be that hard to implement. Just have it so that the tiles change at a certain height at a certain point in time. As the seasons progress into the "colder" ones, have it that any grass tile is converted into snow tiles. Animals would still be able to eat off them, but they would pack faster, meaning you would have to store up food for these times ;) (Would reduce the standing animal population, which is really what stagnates servers. Newbies can't get any food, because all the areas are fenced off and filled with horses.)

Skis as a method of transportation would be really cool :)