Sign in to follow this  
Ohana

Renaming Deeds, Enchanted Grass Fix

What I find interesting is how a game can "go gold" but yet still be considered in beta years afterwards. Hmm... Wait, yeah that's right, beta is before a game goes gold.

Ok maybe not 'beta' but it is an indy game and will always have more issues and fixes and evolve.

I like it because there are actually changes even though sometimes I hate em and sometimes the errors happen and get me mad.

The nice thing is new things are always happening and I get to see the game evolve over time unlike alot of the big commerical games.

So yeah it is kind of in a perpetual 'beta' mode as it is always being improved and developed.

I always liked doing beta's anyhow so for me its normal to see things change and mistakes made.

No its been stated its Beta, i will find the posts stating Beta and still in development.

To me anything charging money is just using the "beta" tag as a cheap cop out. Seems far too common these days. If the game is good enough to be charging for its no longer really crap enough to be calling a beta. Can we expect them to in some way change their development cycle once they take it out of "beta" and go to 1.0? will it suddenly stop constantly having new bugs introduced as development is done? nope, not atall. sorry but "beta" is nothing but a cheap weak shield to having a poor development cycle and testing practice for an already built game in this case. In this grass issue there could literally not have been any testing done. how you could code a change that toggles a tile from one state to another then not noticed an error like "hey that tile just changed to the wrong state' once that was completed is a complete mystery if this feature was tested in any way atall. And honestly I dont see the standard wurm "throw ###### at a wall and see what sticks" method of code development changing because of an arbitrary version number.

Edited by ditters
  • Like 1

Sounds like I'll just use this as a learning experience, demolish my buildnings, disband my six deeds, can my toon with 4 70 skills and my 80 faith priest and the other alts, and just write the whole thing off as a financial loss. At least that's how i'm feeling at the moment.

Sounds like I'll just use this as a learning experience, demolish my buildnings, disband my six deeds, can my toon with 4 70 skills and my 80 faith priest and the other alts, and just write the whole thing off as a financial loss. At least that's how i'm feeling at the moment.

Yeah, but wouldn't Rolf just say "Then go, no one will miss you"? Great use of PR Rolf, well done.

No, but he could be a little nicer to his userbase. Kind of a ###### move. It offends the hell out of me and it wasn't even directed at me.

Vindekator Enchanted grass makes it very easy to feed your animals. Sure you need to either spend silver or time to get the ability but once you got the grass its smooth sailing. Changes where made to make it a little less easy to feed animals and unfortunately the Devs over correct.

@ " Wurm is beta"....lol. I acknowledge that the game makers label this game as that. I often shaking my head in disgust every time that excuse comes up. I seems its often just used an excuse why something bad happened. One good thing about December is that silly saying will be gone.

Item security is tantamount to the success of the Wurm economy, which is why a lot of effort has gone into making sure transactions are safe and that items don't get lost. However, the world has been running for six years now during heavy development. During this period we have had situations such as a few item exploits, database crashes and bugs with ingame mail. Sometimes there are communication glitches just as you change servers. It is very hard to avoid when you run a live beta test development situation and there are plenty of other examples of MMO's that have run into the same problems. This means there will be a few items that are bugged in one way or another.

Rolf

Thats taken from this

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/68314-when-items-go-missing/

Thats one of several other examples, some even in articles about Wurm.

Once again I still have no issue paying, just would like to see it acknowleged somewhere. Things like this enchanted grass will happen again and I wont like it but I will still be here because so far I feel the Wurm is worth it and I know Rolf does his best as he wants his game to succeed. Even when he does unpopular changes and eventually reverts them he made those changes with the intent for Wurm to be a better game.Sometimes it doesnt feel like it on our end and we would like to choke him and maybe slap him around a bit but I am sure there are days he would love to do the same to us after reading a lot of the posts on the forum.

I do feel for those that paid for the grass or put a serious amount of time into it. A rollback would hurt the people that gained skill, bought items for real money etc.. during what was almost a 24 hour period so I wouldnt see that as a good fix either. Even if the volunteers could go around enchanting peoples grass how would they know those tiles were enchanted before? I really dont see a easy solution for recompensation.

I have no satisfying answer, only good intentions. That's hopefully better than simple scheming to extract as much money as possible from you guys. I'm prepared to take economical hits for balancing even though I make errors. I'm sorry for everyone in this thread that had to pay but the overall goal is and has always been to reward both skill, effort and commitment if you can relate to that.

What Eliasthecrimson said.

I lost a month or two of enchanting grass. No horses have starved to death, it's just inconvenient.

Keep coding :) Although if you could put some functionality on the test server that lets me test meditation abilities, we could text the next patch for a few days before it goes live? :)

1.0 - Almost but not quite out of beta so we can keep using that excuse.

It will be a cold day in hades before I spend over $5 just to change a frickin name of a plot of land that doesn't really exist. ( As I pay each month for same. :D )

Edited by Sarcaticous

Dont mind Rolf, his attitude is still in beta.

Had to chuckle at this comment.

=Ayes=

Yay for deed renaming, but the enchanted grass change is bad really.

Had a cart with 2 horses parked on an enchanted grass, it was packed within a few hours.

Makes it completely useless really. Just there for the looks now. Fields hold longer with animals on them than enchanted grass now it seems.

Some people paid a fortune to get their tiles enchanted , or it took them months to get to the right level on love path to make it.

If skill should be rewarded then why change enchanted grass? I do not find the logic behind this.

I would see a point if they decay on a timer, for example 3 months or something similar long, and independent of how many or which animals eat on it.

To get packed within a few hours only, by just 2 horses, is really making the enchanted grass useless.

Edited by Smilingcat

Smilingcat, is this still happening like that? Even after there "fix" in last update?

Rolf has only changed the rate, but these horses shouldn't pack the tile at all as they don't move. But then again, if it would work like that everyone would just tie their horses up.

Edited by Keldun