Sign in to follow this  
Torgrim

Epic Skill Curve For Fighting Skills On Freedom Servers

Here's a suggestion to make it easier for new players to participate in PvP (or PvE) on the Freedom Cluster:

If all fighting skills would be on the Epic skill curve but crafting skills stayed like they are it would allow for fairly new players to be able to somewhat compete in PvP and thus not scare away new players from Chaos as easily.

I've been trying out Chaos now for 2 months with my 1 year old characters. I'm having fun, but what becomes apparent after a while is that being competive in PvP is something that take a huge grinding effort, you need good FS (70 minimum, this is the easy part), good weapon skill, good shield skill, high body stats and prefererably some bow skills. This grind can take years and I think it scares away many potential players. On top of that you need PvP skills which are not easily trained with a bad character.

There are some truly impressive accounts on chaos, lots of work has been put into them for many years. Some have been sold several times, some are owned by thier original players. I understand that changing the rules like this will to some extent make this work less worth because newer players can achive almost the same skills (not body stats though) in less time.

BUT, if nothing changes in this area the Chaos server will probably see very limited growth, because it's a playground for the select few who have really old accounts, either bought or made by themselves.

The veteran players would still have the upper hand in terms of crafting skills, body stats, extreme weapon skills, existing deeds with good defenses and not least PvP experience.

EDIT - Please move to suggestion section, wasn't intended to post here

Edited by Torgrim

If you want a bonus that Epic gives, then go to Epic.

• Like 1

You are on the wrong server cluster buddy.

People who want pvp without needing years of grinding, yet not involve themself in pvp often should take a peak at the home servers on epic.

I'm not on the wrong cluster. I don't want the bonus to crafting skills, it would shorten the life of this game by alot. I also think veterans should have the edge, you earned it by years of hard work. I do enjoy being on Chaos, but the PvP part is mostly running away because it's either that or getting owned, and that's with a charcter that is over a year old, think about how it is for completly new players.

I understand that this idea is very controversial, especially to veteran players. But what you are saying is that to be able to PvP you have to buy an existing account or grind a few years before actually doing any PvP, at least without being part of a large group of veterans, something that doesn't really happen in practice on a server with maximum 70 players online. This doesn't sound very attractive to new players in my mind.

The genreal comment I hear is that we need more PvP, more fighting. How do you get that without a bigger player base? How do you get new players into the game with the current rule set?

The genreal comment I hear is that we need more PvP, more fighting. How do you get that without a bigger player base? How do you get new players into the game with the current rule set?

The Chaos player choosed to not have the kind of rules epic have.

They wanted it despite knowing what consequences it would have for new player influx.

They knew it would lessen the already low ammount of pvp, but they wanted it.

NEW players who want to pvp are thus directed to the epic cluster, in which you can level skills faster, thus narrowing the gap between old and new.

You should really try it out, the only major diffrense except pvp is that you can do MORE skills instead of being forced to grind endlessly on a single one in order to become usefull compared to the older crafters of the server cluster.

After a month-ish you will be ready to woop ass in pvp (assuming you do things correctly)... far less if you got no life.

ps. yes I know it feels tough to leave your previously grinded skills behind... but its so darn worth it.

After a month-ish you will be ready to woop ass in pvp (assuming you do things correctly)... far less if you got no life.

HEY Zek that wasnt pointed at me was it :)

i did my thing on epic and loved it. i will never touch chaos pvp for many reasons. none that u seemed to mention.

Edited by Nephilim

When i started playing 3 months ago, i was affected by the FS reset, i was back down to 48FS. it took me 2 days to get back to 60fs. and another week to hit 70FS. it really does not take more then 1 year to become competent and able to fight in pvp. you can have 10Fightskill and 40 bowery and still be an asset to a pvp raiding group. you are just doing it wrong deeding so close to an enemy deed and not have anyone nere as close to support you in time.

When i started playing 3 months ago, i was affected by the FS reset, i was back down to 48FS. it took me 2 days to get back to 60fs. and another week to hit 70FS. it really does not take more then 1 year to become competent and able to fight in pvp. you can have 10Fightskill and 40 bowery and still be an asset to a pvp raiding group. you are just doing it wrong deeding so close to an enemy deed and not have anyone nere as close to support you in time.

FS is not the issue, it is fast to get. It's the rest of the fighting skills that is the issue.

Deed in the wrong place or not is not what I'm talking about either. The current deed rules makes it pretty easy to defend a deed. Of course if I'm fighting alone against several enemies I shouldn't have much of a chance, that's perfectly ok. It's the total inability to fight on my own or in a small group unless I grind for a year or three first. Again, you say raiding group, have you seen any lately? :)

Personally, I might actually do the grind (or at least try), because I'm a bit crazy, but it certainly is not something the average new player would consider doing...

HEY Zek that wasnt pointed at me was it :)

i did my thing on epic and loved it. i will never touch chaos pvp for many reasons. none that u seemed to mention.

there is faaaarrrrr too many reasons to not touch chaos pvp, I cba making a list xD

there is faaaarrrrr too many reasons to not touch chaos pvp, I cba making a list xD

If nobody wants to touch Chaos except a few "elite" players then something is seriously wrong. Of course Rolf can choose to ignore it and let the server be as it is but it will never gain any players that way, only loose them slowly. It might be that is fine, these players from my experience are very nice people and quite a few of them are actually devs.

I would hope the server is "revived" somehow, but that would require some drastic changes, the suggestion in the first post being one possible solution. It is noticable currently what a few changes that makes life simpler for new players can do for the playerbase, there are alot more players (yet few) on Chaos now than there was a couple of months ago. The rules however are a bit strange and everyone thinks they will change sometime after new year...

nobody wants to touch chaos except a few elite players? I don't know about JK but there is plenty of new faces coming to chaos every week, and they all join in the raiding parties. you're on the wrong side bro.

There's no need for this change.

The Chaos population graph shows that the population has roughly quadrupled in the last 12 months.

wurm-year.png

It'll live.

nobody wants to touch chaos except a few elite players? I don't know about JK but there is plenty of new faces coming to chaos every week, and they all join in the raiding parties. you're on the wrong side bro.

There are new players in JK as well, there is no wrong side. You MR people seem very nice and so are the JK guys, overall the player base is mature and helpful, but of course we're also enemies :)

The population has grown a bit. Yes, even quadrupled, when I came to Chaos 2 months ago there was 10-20 players on at peak hours, now I've seen as many as 70 at rare occations. Let's say on average each player has 1.5 - 2 accounts online at once, that is about 35-55 people online, it's still very few, and it's the absolute max I have seen. This is after the changes Rolf made so deeds are easier to defend, it's a step in the right direction in terms of getting more players on the server but the rules are a bit strange. You could also argue that it is lame not to be able to raid deeds anymore. I'm not against full raid being introduced again but if it's done without some new inventions in the rule set it's gonna scare away the few new people that have arrived in the last few months.

New people will only survive if they 1. have contacts to an already established village or, 2. 10+ people come over from freedom to set up there own village. you can only survive by that. i see no problems with that, and it certainly doesnt seem like an FS problem anymore.

The people that like to PvP play on Epic, the ones that like the quieter life of crafting and such go to Freedom, there is no reason to change it

Sure I will take faster gains to the fighting skills on the PvE servers but I will never go to the pvp servers to use them. Thanks.

=Ayes=

The people that like to PvP play on Epic, the ones that like the quieter life of crafting and such go to Freedom, there is no reason to change it

Totally irrelevant comment. If it was true there wouldn't be any Chaos server at all.

I enjoy crafting and I like the thrill of PvP. PvP actually opens up for a much more varied crafting experience as well, because you have reasons to build things much differently than you would in a pure PvE environment. There are some really impressive contructions to see on Chaos and they were built for a purpose.

There are people who like both PvP and PvE environment and for us it's great to be able to travel between them with the same characters.

On epic

Fight skill is fast

Archery is fast

Shield skill is fast

Weapon skill is fast

I can only assume that this stuff is at worst 'reasonable' on the freedom cluster

You just need to hunt with sleep bonus turned on.

You just need to hunt with sleep bonus turned on

Fighting skill isnt affected by sleepbonus

Fighting skill isnt affected by sleepbonus

It works for shield skill, weaponskill, subskills, etc....