Sign in to follow this  
Manifestation

Cod Returns Are Griefing Tools

For this suggestion I'm going to paint a brief scenario. It may not be a believable one (who would COd drake...) but fill in the blanks with whatever you can imagine and tell me if this mechanic should be left in place.

Person 1, lets call him Frank, wants to buy something from person 2, lets call him Eddy.

Frank orders 4 drake sets (he's rich!), eddy places them into the mail, and charges the correct price (lets just make up a figure...4g)

Frank, who is actually wurms greatest griefer, never accepts the items, and never returns them.

Two rather stressful weeks go by for Eddy, who is currently not in posession of the armor he's made, and also no in posession of any money to compensate him. And finally, wurm destroys the items.

Frank just succesfully destroyed 4 full sets of armor (or 4g) without even needing to break any rules, he just has to claim he was busy RL dealing with something serious. Franks granny is terminal, didnt you know ?

And to quote the mailing system itself.

Use mailboxes with caution and inexpensive items until you rely on the spirits. They are still learning and take no responsibility for lost items.

"If the item is rejected you have two weeks to pick it up or it will be destroyed by the spirits since it conflicts with their banking policy."

Just because we have a bit of a warning and a disclaimer, does it make this game mechanic any more acceptable?

I see double standards there, not their fault if items go missing....but they'll happily delete items due to banking policies!?

HIRE BETTER SPIRITS!!!

Also how about letting us ship lumps in a cost effective manner again?

HIRE BETTER SPIRITS!!!

I support noom. Not only in this suggestion but for Wurm President for the starfall year of 1027.

+1

Shouldn't of really been posted tbh, will allow griefers just to do it now :/

at any rate if you are selling something super expensive, Make them collect it in person, I don't sell anything high priced without forcing the person to come to me... but yeah.. if anything item should atleast be returned, that or sent to a Mailbox only GM's have access to and every so often they auction the items out and the money goes to the Donation Pool, of which people can buy Gold Coins from for the Same Price of 60-65 Euro xD

This really needs to be changed. I don't feel I can safely send anything valuable in the mail at this point.

Considering Rolf gets 10-20c for every item mailed, it would be in his best interests to fix this :P

easy fix idea cod items don't leave box till receiver pays.

maybe not so easy to code but i'm not a tec

This really needs to be changed. I don't feel I can safely send anything valuable in the mail at this point.

Considering Rolf gets 10-20c for every item mailed, it would be in his best interests to fix this :P

There was a time people would use mail to safely store items, one would suspect the item destruction relates to such...

Personally the issues would be resolved if the mail simply returned unclaimed mail to sender, minus the mailing costs (to deal with previously mentioned storage).

Not really much of a griefing tool until you mentioned it. Not a problem to begin with, people should maybe just check their mailbox for a resend, especially if they are waiting around for a bit for the money to come in. I would imagine most merchants check their mailbox if they don't receive their money within a few days, and certainly wouldn't wait a few few weeks without looking to see if there was a return. I find nothing wrong with the current system. If you classify this as being able to be used as a griefing tool then there are so many other things that can be used to grief. There is no way to fix every one of them without messing up the gameplay and experience for the rest of the players, there are just too man ways to grief someone.

But shrimpiie, what are you going to do about it when you "check" and realise the person you sent the mail to hasn't received or returned it?

There was an auction troll very recently who bid on a bunch of items and then never bothered following them up. He could have taken that one step further and said "yeah, COD them to me thanks". and then never paid. Every item that he bid on would have been lost in the mail, costing the sellers their money.

If the receiver does not accept or return the mail within two weeks, the item is lost forever.

This is something that needs to be discussed so that it can be fixed.

Edited by nikkunikku

Should be easy enough for Rolf to have the items get returned to sender minus COD charges, so the mail system still gets paid for the trouble. Only reason I see for the current system is due to some folks abusing the system, and I for one am tired of stupid rules we all are subject to because of a few abusers.

Edited by Vroomfondel

I see the problem here. I think it should be changed so that if the receiver does not either send back, or takes the item, it should be sent BACK to the sender by default, and after THREE WEEKS, it would be destroyed. It basically makes you be able to store stuff for 5 weeks, but it wont break the PVP aspects and what not. I would have tor this to happen to me, and im sure anyone else would too. I mean, it seems ridiculous to destroy the item without allowing its retrieval.

Current system

Sender---MAIL SPIRITS---Receiver

____________|

________Spirit Volcano

(2 weeks go by, item destoys if reciever does not take it out)

Proposed system.

Sender---MAIL SPIRITS---Receiver

____________|

________Mail Return

____________|

________Spirit Volcano

(2 weeks go by, item is sent BACK to the sender, where it sits for 3 weeks before being destroyed if not taken)