Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

Improving Wurm's Backstory

There is another thread on this but it is getting very disorganized. I am going to restart this topic so I can do it in a way that is easier to follow.

Wurm's official backstory contains the bare minimum. It is my goal to organize a discussion on how to improve it. I will set a topic, and then everyone should post suggestions and ideas on how they think it should be. Sometimes I will have use a poll to decide how something will be done. I will try to do things in the way the majority likes it. It is up to Rolf to decide if the end result should be official or not.

So far, this is the entire backstory: http://wurmpedia.com...x.php/Backstory . You should read this before you give suggestions. Everything on the Wurmpedia backstory page has to be true; however, if something on there is disliked by the community maybe we could change it.

Please note that we are not talking about the islands that you play on in game. We are talking about the region that people lived at before the islands were even discovered. I will call this region "the old world" for now, but the name could change latter on.

I will start this thread with very basic topics and it will get more specific from there. Please tell me if you don't like how I am doing things.

Current Topics:

1. Solar System Model (page 1 post 4)
  2. Map (page 1 post 8)

Completed Topics

(None)

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Rough sketch of maps (not official)

Z3IxI.png

mdSSY.gif

Edited by Sir Arowhun

I'll restart this poll on this thread.

Topic 1: Solar System Model

This is a very basic topic to start out with. Should Wurm's solar system be wurmeocentric or soleocentric? EDIT: Poll closes 11/17/2012.

Wurmeocentric Model:

VnUjV.png

Soleocentric Model:

StK5y.png

http://imgur.com/a/FXDQ4

Key:

Yellow planet = Sol

Grey planet = Wurm

White planet = Seris

Red planet = Jackal

Blue planet = Valerie

Manisfestation pointed out these interesting pages on astronomy:

http://wurmpedia.com...AstroResearch_1

http://wurmpedia.com...AstroResearch_2

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Interesting Sir Arowhun. I don't agree with the map and yes I know it's not official. Can someone make something equivalent with the way we have the servers set up? 2 clusters and wherever we decide Golden Valley to be.

Interesting Sir Arowhun. I don't agree with the map and yes I know it's not official.

This was just my attempt at making it. I will accept more maps and then we can discuss and vote on them. On the maps we need to designate were the different language groups are at 1000NT. I think we should borrow the languages from the real world. This would explain why people who play Wurm speak many different languages like Russian, Korean, German, English, etc... We should give each language a region on the map, and we should place them in a way that it makes sense.

For instance, all Latin based language groups should be close together. Perhaps there could have been a Roman-esque empire that spread Latin around, and after it fell the romantic languages could have formed like they did in the real world.

After the map is decided, we will begin creating a timeline of major events that occurred from the creation of Wurm to the fall of the ageless.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Topic 2: Map

Before the poll for the Wurmian solar system is over, lets start working on the map. I already came up with a version of it, which you can see above. Use it as an example to design your own version of what you think the old world of Wurm looks like. Keep it saved on your computer so you can edit it latter if people make suggestions. After we have enough maps, we will vote on the one that will be used. Since none of this is not official, the map can still be edited even after the vote is done if people come up with new ideas.

The old world should be huge, and it should contain many different cultures so there is lots and lots of room for interesting lore. I think we should use languages found in the modern world. As I said in the post above this one, be sure to place them in a way that makes sense. On your map you should designate were each language group is (I didn't get to this yet on my version, but I will shortly).

If you don't have a fancy drawing program like Photoshop, don't worry because I don't have one either. You can use any program with drawing tools. I drew the maps above with autoshapes in Microsoft PowerPoint :P. I find it easier to use for this sort of thing than Paint. If you are using a program like PowerPoint, be sure to turn off the "snap-to-grid" feature before drawing.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Of course the poll had to equalize on the day it closes. In case someone is trolling, lets do this differently now. You now have to vote by posting +1 or -1. Your account needs at least 150 posts for your vote to count. Hopefully we can decide on the solar system this week. Polls are closing Wednesday November 21st.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Since I am receiving no community support in this project, I guess its over. I'll just work on this on my own then. If you still have ideas, please pm me.

I think I could try my hand on this matter, Need to re-read the backstory and try to modify/improve it a bit. I would rather work alone and post a complete story trough since I don't see how this would work well as a community project.