Sign in to follow this  
Elen

Apprenticeships

Give an option once you are titled in a skill to declare someone an apprentice to you in that skill. This would give a few benifits to the master and apprentice. You can only apprentice someone at half or less than your current skill in whatever. You would be limited to one apprentice per skill title you have (IE skill 50= 1 apprentice up to skill 25, @ skill 70, two apprentices up to skill 35, and @ skill 90, 3 apprentices up to skill 45)

Benefits for the apprentice:

+25% skill gain in that particular skill when within 10 tiles of the master.

+25% chance to craft items - note this is +25% of thier normal chance not a flat +25% to creation (8% would become 10%)

Benefits for the master:

+25% crafting speed in that particular skill while apprentice is within 10 tiles of the master.

Goal here would be to let more skilled players help out younger folks while maintaining strict balance via the 1/2 skill limit. Could also restrict this to crafting skills only to ensure pvp balance if needed.

I can see how this could be good at helping to boost new players and due to the limits it wouldn't be too overpowered. The only loophole I see would be players using fake apprentice alts to benefit themselves as an unintended feature, other than that +1 :)

Initially I thought, great idea!

Then I thought to myself what alts would I use to apprentice to gain myself up and thought, bad idea.

If their was a way to prevent it from being abused by alts I would be all for it though.

• Like 1

Whats the point in training up alts in skills you are already high skill in.

Edited by Judicator
  • Like 1

Whats the point in training up alts in skills you are already high skill in.

Not the point. Point is I can use alts to increase my crafting speed which increases my skill gain speed unless it acted like woa which decreases your skill gain.

Yeah it would have to involve an IP check to keep away from abuse.

or just remove the benefits for the master and you have something usefull that helps new people.

This would be really, really good so long as it could be protected from abuse.

IP check would unfairly target people who use the same wireless router as a hot spot. Or for that matter people who live in the same household regardless of type of router.

Don't understand why people think every household has one computer or one computer user. Must all be single. :D

Edited by Macgregor

Premium alts and be able to use the skill will help.

Such as priests cannot get apprenticeship from blacksmithing.

I like the idea, +1.

As Trencal suggested, also no bonus to master, i'd say 10 percent buff to apprentice would be good. I like it +1

Edited by TineenAlexi

Aye no direct coded buff for the master, seems like the best way to avoid alt-abuse. There still exists reasons for why anyone would function as a master. They could require a certain amount of work from the apprentice whether it be collecting raw resources or crafting lq items for later imping. Any manner of work in exchange for sharing their knowledge and expertise, and even better in my eyes... it leaves it up to the master.

Also on a side note, there was a long, thorough debate and discussion on the forums with Rolf's involvement over IP checks and other means of verifying a unique identity for adults and underage alike...the conclusion was there does not exist any suitable, practical method outside of an international ID system. The thread was a good read, shame it was lost.

The master should receive a skill gain nerf = to what he gives his apprentice (teaching time )

Even with no *master* benifits, someone can still use their alt in this manner to raise skills more quickly for the benifit of making building products, bricks, mortar, slabs, planks, support beams, woodcutting skill on masters felled trees, mining, on and on. Would be very helpful for alt mayors to raise their strenght faster to be able to bash on deed walls with mayor bonus. Alt then can provide building materials for the deed at a faster and better QL to enable main account to build the various deed environment and perimiter walls if desired. A good suggestion? Sure I will take those benifits but I don't know if this its intended purpose.

=Ayes=

There has already been enough added to help people lower skill up and well as not failing and losing items and faster timers. etc etc....

so a BIG NO to any kind of apprentice deal.

No matter what you Add people will usaully find a way to abuse it. +1

maybe make it limited to more crafting skills that arent usable to mass produce materials. like only for smithing/subskills of smithing , carpentry/subskills of carpentry, etc, etc, etc,

No matter what you Add people will usaully find a way to abuse it. +1

maybe make it limited to more crafting skills that arent usable to mass produce materials. like only for smithing/subskills of smithing , carpentry/subskills of carpentry, etc, etc, etc,

+1

If alts are a concern then have it as a prem only option to be able to apprentice someone and have little to no bonus on master

( do alota pple have prem alts who aint priests anyways?)