Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

Conquest Of Deeds

Currently, if you successfully drain a token of a deed it is disbanded. Maybe there could be an option for the last person to drain it to gain control of it instead. The new mayor would also magically gain all of the writs from the deed. The new mayor would get 1 free rename that can be used within 24 hours. Citizens of the deed can either choose to stay and join the conquesting kingdom or they can flee to find a new home.

If a WL kingdom captures a town from a BL kingdom, all citizens would be forced to flee. On home servers conquesting wouldn't be allowed.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Currently, if you successfully drain a token of a deed it is disbanded.

Stopped reading after this.

Perhaps if something much much much more difficult was required, then maybe. Otherwise no.

Perhaps if something much much much more difficult was required, then maybe. Otherwise no.

Keeping it conquered with new guards spawning like conquering towers, but 24 hours without interruption :D

Edited by Judicator

Perhaps it would become part of the enemy kingdom with the same mayor etc...?

I don't think there's any way to make this work.

I know if I was mayor of a town and someone 'conquered' my deed I'd be mad as hell. It's bad enough if you let the upkeep get down low enough so that a drain disbands the village. At least you can replant, since you own the writs. But immediately giving SOMEONE ELSE all of YOUR writs to YOUR buildings that YOU worked hard to make, AND the village? That's just not right.

Even if it yet you remain the mayor and just switched your village, I know I (and probably most others) would just disband, switch back to the old kingdom, conquer the tower, and replant.

All this would ever do is make players angry.

I'd say this idea shows one of the weaknesses of the current PVP situation. You all are saying you would get mad if your village got taken over. This is because you paid for the deed, often with RL cash. But what he proposes is actually how war should work. Most of you seem to want to keep the raid and pillage scenario rather than have real conquest. No way to really win in a raid and pillage game tho. Maybe you should all talk about what would need changed to make this idea work?

Maybe you should all talk about what would need changed to make this idea work?

Any ideas on how this could be done?

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Bad idea, I don't play on epic or any sorts but I know that it would be ridiculous to have this, it's bad enough that you can drain another deed but to completely take it over is just too far. Big time -1

Bad idea, I don't play on epic or any sorts but I know that it would be ridiculous to have this, it's bad enough that you can drain another deed but to completely take it over is just too far. Big time -1

What do you mean bad enough? Please explain, because draining barely does anything. It takes hours of catapulting for like 50 copper, assuming you can win the fight.

How about instead of Conquer, you get a Raze option instead which burns down all the buildings.

How about instead of Conquer, you get a Raze option instead which burns down all the buildings.

Just as terrible of an idea as the OP, -1

I've supported this suggestion for a long time; if real world currency ever gets removed from the game I would support this even more. This is how war should work and the current reward for the hours put into raiding a deed is not worth it. It's more angering for me to see my deed get disbanded and all my work and money lost than to have it conquered with a chance at reclaiming it.

Edited by Loremaster

I've supported this suggestion for a long time; if real world currency ever gets removed from the game I would support this even more. This is how war should work and the current reward for the hours put into raiding a deed is not worth it. It's more angering for me to see my deed get disbanded and all my work and money lost than to have it conquered with a chance at reclaiming it.

So, you'd rather entirely lose all of your writs, your mines, everything in them, your horses, everything you ever had in your deed, because you're forced out of your home entirely, instead of what we have now where you lose like a silver's worth of upkeep from one drain and you don't disband? And even if you do get drained enough to disband, you still keep what's left and have the ability to just replant?

...Okay.

i think some people think that we raid deeds for 50 copper as a goal, i would disagree, most of the time you raid the deed to get some kills, and get some nice loot that people store on their deeds.

This change wouldnt help that at all and would probably cause people to leave the game rather than become more immersed in it, at least now if your deed gets drained you have the chance to rebuilt and carry on, leaving people (including people who may be offline at the time) to suddenly logg in to nothing or even worse an enemy deed, would cause people to quit the game imo and that is never going to be a good thing

Although I don't PVP I don't see any harm in raising some stakes as long as there isn't too much loss.

Here are a few ideas that popped into my head with some security for the deed holder:

The conquerer must use a new deed form on the token to be conquered, so there is a cost involved and the original deed owner gets his 5s back as if the deed disbanded normally.

The deeds funds must be sufficiently low to be susceptible to conquering.

A deed that's being conquered posts a kingdom event log so the deed owner has time to respond, also the the deed wont finish being conquered for 24-48hrs to allow for both parties to battle it out or the original deed owner to remove critical possessions.

Only on a successful conquer does the deed form get taken and the original deed owner get their 5s.

Ever spotted an abandoned deed and wanted to take it over, or had a war deed placed that you could do nothing about??

Discuss!

Disclaimer: These are only thoughts intended to rouse proper debate on extra mechanics to make PVP or the Epic Isles more interesting, they are in no way linked to myself being a staff member.

the only foolproof way to understand why everyone is -1'ing it is to play Epic, if you don't, you won't understand normally 100%.

the only foolproof way to understand why everyone is -1'ing it is to play Epic, if you don't, you won't understand normally 100%.

I don't have to play Epic to understand. I know the OP as it is would not work. But let's face it, the current dynamics of PVP don't attract many either. A conquer and conquest scenario may attract more people than the current raid and pillage. As earlier pointed out, the use of RL money to found villages is the biggest problem to this idea, no one wants to lose something they paid for. Figure out a way to get RL money out of the equation and you have the possibility for this to have potential.

One idea I had once was to only give each player a claim for 25 tiles, any shape they want, when they go prem, no buying a deed and claiming all the land you want. They can use this for a settlement of their own ( a homestead) or they can combine theirs with others to make a larger estate. Once 5 or more players group together, it becomes a hamlet, and adding more can make it a village, then a town, a city, and later a metropolis. The number of guards and area of influence around the community would depend on the size. Area of influence would only mean the range tower guards are effective. You could farm, forest, and mine in this area, but if attacked, the only safe place would be within the town walls. And one way to prevent players with money from preming lots of alts to create a metropolis. would be that all villagers have to be quite active each week, or their portion of the village is dropped from the count, reducing the size and influence of the community.

A conquered village would not drive all villagers away, they have the choice to change kingdoms (under a period of servitude until trusted) or be killed and driven away. Yes, you would have to worry more about some of them turning on you later, finding them to be spies or traitors. I've always felt that spies are just a part of the experience.

I know this would not work under current game rules, but current games rules keep many away from Epic. So I ask again, what else would need to be done to make it a viable idea?

Edited by Vroomfondel

To be honest, this would be a war system worthy of the dynamic sandbox game Wurm seeks to be, and it's what I expected out of Wurm's PvP in my early days as opposed to the somewhat static "catapult-loot-run".

However, I'm a carebear so hush my mouth I guess.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

Keep in mind that there were previously discussions about changing the drain into some other mechanic because the fact that it was "real money" coin made some people extra sensitive about it, even when it is half a euro's worth.

Keep in mind that there were previously discussions about changing the drain into some other mechanic because the fact that it was "real money" coin made some people extra sensitive about it, even when it is half a euro's worth.

I dont understand that. Theres 2 points of view about the relation between silver and euros: either silver becomes separate from real world money once it's put on the game, or literally everything has real life value, because it has silver value.

In neither case it makes sense to complain about losing deeds/drains to me, as a good sword or armor also goes for 10 silver, and that is dropped on death, and can be looted or stolen already. Same goes for almost every item created in game. Bigger drains or conquering deeds would add nothing that doesnt already exists in either view.