Sign in to follow this  
Wollschaf

Common Issues On Linux

Some solutions for common issues occurring on Linux systems:

• Java web start hangs when displaying the splash sceen (OpenJDK)
    Due to a bug in icedtea-web 1.2, large jnlp files cannot be verified. Already fixed upstream: http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/release/icedtea-web-1.2/rev/dde230f3536a
    Y
    ou may need to update OpenJDK / icedtea-web. Alternatively, install Oracle Java.
  • Oracle Java 7 32-bit: client closes randomly
    Cause still unknown, no crashes have been observed with a 64-bit JVM.
  • Oracle Java 6: Client cannot be launched at all
    This is due to a bug when trying to install desktop and menu shortcuts when gnome-vfs is not available. Fixed in Java 7. If you're using a 32-bit system and experience crashes with Java 7 (see above), you can use javaws from Java 7 and use the 32-bit Java 6 JVM.

• Java web start hangs when displaying the splash sceen (OpenJDK)
    Due to a bug in icedtea-web 1.2, large jnlp files cannot be verified. Already fixed upstream: http://icedtea.class....0f3536a<br />You may need to update OpenJDK / icedtea-web. Alternatively, install Oracle Java.

I am severely confused, you say 'Already fixed upstream:' ..Alright, what do I do with that link? I go there and I find a bunch of code, what do I do with that code? I also know I have the latest OpenJDK and IcedTea-web. And install which Oracle Java? Isn't there several? I'm completely stumped and I know this is the problem I have, I just can't find out how to fix it. I understand I must be a complete idiot, but I suppose that's why I'm here asking. Thank you.

Edited by St3amWorks

I suggest you remove OpenJDK / IcedTea and install the latest version of Oracle Java 7. Make sure to install a 64 bit version if you have a 64 bit system, otherwise 32 bit obviously.

There are a number of easy to find install instructions for Oracle Java if it's not present in your Linux's flavor repositories, as was forced by Oracle with Ubuntu unfortunately.

Here is a PPA that works with all recent versions of Ubuntu: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-via.html

Java is extremely hard to download on Linux without being a coder.

not true. just follow this if your a linux/ubuntu user and need java

sudo apt-get install -y openjdk-7-jre openjdk-7-jdk

You will need to enter your password to use this command. Although it will not show up in the Terminal, it will still be entered when you type it. After running this command, you will be set up to run and develop Java applications.

Installing Oracle Java

OpenJDK works fine for most people, but if you play Minecraft, you will want to use Oracle Java instead. To install Oracle Java, run the command below one at a time in the Terminal.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt
-get update
sudo apt
-get install oracle-java7-installer

This will download Java from Oracle's website, and install it for you.

• Oracle Java 7 32-bit: client closes randomly

Cause still unknown, no crashes have been observed with a 64-bit JVM.

Just to remind the developers: this is still going on - and it happens rather frequently for me (means about 3-5 times per day). Doesn't matter whether using the IcedTea or the Oracle Java Engine, happens on both.

Happens most frequently immediately after starting the game, after the server connect and welcome back messages, but can also happen in-game. Doesn't matter whether I run around then or just stand still doing nothing.

Additional info: sometimes the game starts but doesn't display the blue outline on tiles. All else works (chat, GUI, etc.) but it is impossible then to interact with any world objects (items, structures, tiles).

Just to remind the developers: this is still going on - and it happens rather frequently for me (means about 3-5 times per day). Doesn't matter whether using the IcedTea or the Oracle Java Engine, happens on both.

Happens most frequently immediately after starting the game, after the server connect and welcome back messages, but can also happen in-game. Doesn't matter whether I run around then or just stand still doing nothing.

Additional info: sometimes the game starts but doesn't display the blue outline on tiles. All else works (chat, GUI, etc.) but it is impossible then to interact with any world objects (items, structures, tiles).

The only occasional  crash I get atm is with OpenJDK with a crash on liblcms2 during JPG loading. I have been unable to find the cause so far. Look for a hs_err_pid file in your home folder though for crashes. Paste details here.

The only occasional  crash I get atm is with OpenJDK with a crash on liblcms2 during JPG loading. I have been unable to find the cause so far. Look for a hs_err_pid file in your home folder though for crashes. Paste details here.

Thanks for the answer, dipse. Much appreciated. No hs_err_pid file on most of the crashes, especially not with the crashes that happen during the "welcome back Timothy" phase of game-start. I'll make a thread with the console.log next time it happens. Thanks again.

Please mention that the lwgl-engine doesnt work with the nouveau driver. Nouveau is an open nvidia driver implementation. Nvidia promised to support this implementation in December 2014. It might be a option in the future but for now you have to stick to the proprietary implementation from Nvidia. It's possible to download that driver from the Nvidia homepage, but it might be a better solution to check the repositories of your linux distribution.

How the problem shows up:

You can start the client and you see the (fullscreen) splash screen of the game client, After that you can see the interface (chat, logs, inventory and such). Then either the window freezes and the client crashes while the models are loading or the client loads and you move a bit around and look at a model and then the client crashes. When exactly in the loading process of the models (while you already see the interface) crashes depends on your graphic settings. I was able to move a lot when looking to the ground and turning the graphics to the lowest level.

PS: If you have 2 screens you may experience some strange issues changing to Nvidia driver about the resolution configuration if the 2nd screen uses VGA. To solve the problem you have to configure the grub loadder config file and/or the xorg.conf. If this is the case feel free to write me a pm and I'll help as soon as I can.

For the experienced:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

add

Option         "ModeValidation" "VGA-0: NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck,NoMaxPClkCheck"

to the screen settings

grub loader:

add the option nomodeset to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, it might look like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

don't forget to run update-grub with root permissions.

Edited by Davidius

How long do we have to wait to get a linux client that works without crashing? If there are problems with nvidia or problems with icedtea then the client must be reprogrammed to cope with these nvidia or icedtea 'bugs' and not wait that they do someday something to their said 'bugs'!

It is all too familiar to me what Eobersig and Davidius wrote...

Just to remind the developers: this is still going on - and it happens rather frequently for me (means about 3-5 times per day). Doesn't matter whether using the IcedTea or the Oracle Java Engine, happens on both. Happens most frequently immediately after starting the game, after the server connect and welcome back messages, but can also happen in-game. Doesn't matter whether I run around then or just stand still doing nothing. Additional info: sometimes the game starts but doesn't display the blue outline on tiles. All else works (chat, GUI, etc.) but it is impossible then to interact with any world objects (items, structures, tiles).

and

You can start the client and you see the (fullscreen) splash screen of the game client, After that you can see the interface (chat, logs, inventory and such). Then either the window freezes and the client crashes while the models are loading or the client loads and you move a bit around and look at a model and then the client crashes. When exactly in the loading process of the models (while you already see the interface) crashes depends on your graphic settings. I was able to move a lot when looking to the ground and turning the graphics to the lowest level.

1 hour ago, www said:

How long do we have to wait to get a linux client that works without crashing? If there are problems with nvidia or problems with icedtea then the client must be reprogrammed to cope with these nvidia or icedtea 'bugs' and not wait that they do someday something to their said 'bugs'!

It is all too familiar to me what Eobersig and Davidius wrote...

Just to remind the developers: this is still going on - and it happens rather frequently for me (means about 3-5 times per day). Doesn't matter whether using the IcedTea or the Oracle Java Engine, happens on both. Happens most frequently immediately after starting the game, after the server connect and welcome back messages, but can also happen in-game. Doesn't matter whether I run around then or just stand still doing nothing. Additional info: sometimes the game starts but doesn't display the blue outline on tiles. All else works (chat, GUI, etc.) but it is impossible then to interact with any world objects (items, structures, tiles).

and

Sorry but its not the dev's job to code around every single issue in every single supporting library or wrapper of every single variant. If they do that they'll never make forwards progress again.

Your experience of the Linux client isn't good but mine has been pretty much rock solid and I've been playing since alpha days on Linux.

Ermmm, to try and actually help though

I won't use nouveau, only the proprietary Nvidia drivers and I download and install the official NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-xxx.yy.run myself. If I see any mesa type packages being updated by apt or generally anything X related I run the installer with --sanity afterwards to make sure that no opengl files were overwritten, it does happen occasionally. If it reports that I shutdown X and reinstall the nvidia drivers.

I also won't use any packaged java. I download the official 64 bit .tar.gz directly from the Oracle website and and install under /usr with /usr/java being a softlink to the version I want to use.

On a couple of occassions I've had to delete my ~/.java/deployment directory when things got screwy and once had issues with libnss when the original 32 to 64 bit transistions happened.

The only other issue I was was a hardware one, put 32GB of ram in a machine which the motherboard couldn't handle, Java was the only thing that ate enough memory to trigger the issue.

If you want detailed help you need to post actual logs for the devs to review, can't do that much without them.

Hmm. I'm running my clients on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, I have a crap Nvidia card in my desktop config, have a 8 yo laptop with very crappy mobile ATI chipset and some with Intel integrated display adapters (the laptops boot from pendrives you can imagine the overall I/O speed still give surprisingly smooth experience ingame). Using Wurm online and unlimited clients on them running sometimes multiple clients in demanding times (unique hunts, etc)., all are quite rock solid.

I strongly recommend to get rid of IcedTea and install Java 8, easy-lazy way is using http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/install-oracle-java-8-in-ubuntu-via-ppa.html.   Go 64bit of course if your installation is 64bit.

That will also autoupdate Java once configured.

Nvidia proprietary driver works flawlessly for me, but I have to use the open drivers for the mobile ATi chip as AMD was kind enough to dump it from the product line already.

Update to openjdk:

The current unstable client uses javaFx which is in an experimental state in openjdk-8 (there is a openjfx). The problem got solved in openjdk-9. However icedtea didn't release and netfx package for java 9 yet. It may be possible to get it working with java 9 by checking icedtea for not released versions but this needs some experience.

In short: If you want the unstable client you have to switch to oracle java 8 for now

PS: if you are going for the current stable version you could give openjdk-8 a try. It does perform better due to its faster garbage collector (which is responsible for most of the lag you will experience in wurm). However, openjdk is NOT supported by the the wurm team.

Important notice:

Once you installed oracle java, make sure that you use the java web start (javaws) from oracle to start the client. If you do not take care about that you might end up openjdk configuring over webstart and then calls oracle java to start the actually application. This will not work. If you are not sure about how to check whether it is using the correct executable or how to switch to the correct executable, I suggest you to deinstall openjdk. This has to be done AFTER installing oracle java because all the packages depending on java will get deinstalled too. To deinstall openjdk you can use the following commandline:

sudo apt purge openjdk-8-jdk openjdk-8-jdk-headless openjdk-8-jre openjdk-8-jre-headless openjdk-9-jdk openjdk-9-jdk-headless openjdk-9-jre openjdk-9-jre-headless icedtea-netx-common openjfx icedtea-8-plugin  icedtea-netx default-jre-headless

Edited by Davidius
grammar
  • Like 1