Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Animals Missing After Updates

This is the third time I have had to log in and go hunting animals after a server update. Animals that were in pens or even in houses are just dissappearing....looks very much like the server doesnt update thier position or save position. CA's and GM's say they can do nothing to get them returned...so if another player or my self doesnt find them..its just a loss.

What must I do to keep the animals from dissappearing...not use them 48 hours prior to a known server update? build nested fences? I reject the idea that I cannot have a dev or Gm or some one locate the thing and at the very least say..hey its over here. I also reject the idea that this is going to continue to happen after every server update....this has gone beyond frustrating to infuriating. If you cant fix the code right now can you at least give the GM's a way to help us find the things? I am fed up with having to hunt down animals after every server update....so could you please either fix the code or allow some one or some group of people a way to either return the animals or simply respawn the things.

While I agree it is frustrating to have to reloacte your livestock, it is not the norm here. Rolf made some special updates today and admitted that some animals got loose and stated he would not be doing a rollback to put them where they belonged. He apologized, but said it would take too much downtime to do the rollback. Once Rolf has the issues for multistory buildings worked out I hope these escapes stop occurring, but we may have to put up with it for a while yet.

As to GMs being able to find your livestock, that is not likely. If you logged in just after the restart, your creatures had already moved about quite a bit, and the longer before you log in the further they will roam. That would make it hard to impossible for GMs to find your animals from all the others. And you can get a Vynoran priest to cast reveal creatures to see if they are in the area and about where. That's what I did to find my champ deer.

we all need to be informed about that before... :S

Not always possible to know that a change is going to cause such issues beforehand.

While I agree it is frustrating to have to reloacte your livestock, it is not the norm here.

Yes actually it is becoming the norm...three updates/ crashes....three times I have to hunt animals. Like i said..I reject the idea that there is not a way to allow Ca's and Gm's to insta locate them. I work in IT..and have been developing for 15 years...I know better. I fail to see why the Ca's and GMs cannot be given a way to at least say..hey your horse is over here. especially now that every update incurs lost animals. Also I reject the idea that I have to invest my time ....every update....to correct a known bug...it could be fixed and in my opinion should have priority over an artificaly created deadline. Sure multistory is nice..but not at the expense of breaking opther aspects of the game.

Edited by sunsvortex

in the 4 or 5 years Ive played it only happened a few times, it's not the norm. It's just the code being messed with to prepare it for multistory right now. Theres some things you can do to prevent it like double layer walls around pens and using gatehouses instead of fence gates. Todays updateincluded a bug that allowed creatures to pass fence gates, so its not a dispositioning bug or rollback.

Gms do have tools to help you find your animals back - even if it is just by flying around the landscape to see them.. They might not have time right now becuase theyre more than likely being flooded with requests. CAs (sorry) are most of the time just uninformed when they respond to gm calls and have no idea what the GMs can actually do and not do.

CAs (sorry) are most of the time just uninformed when they respond to gm calls and have no idea what the GMs can actually do and not do.

^ What she said.

Yes actually it is becoming the norm...three updates/ crashes....three times I have to hunt animals. Like i said..I reject the idea that there is not a way to allow Ca's and Gm's to insta locate them. I work in IT..and have been developing for 15 years...I know better. I fail to see why the Ca's and GMs cannot be given a way to at least say..hey your horse is over here. especially now that every update incurs lost animals. Also I reject the idea that I have to invest my time ....every update....to correct a known bug...it could be fixed and in my opinion should have priority over an artificaly created deadline. Sure multistory is nice..but not at the expense of breaking opther aspects of the game.

Reject the idea all you want, won't magically change anything. As Alyeska and I have said, this is not normal, so they don't have the tools available to them to do what you are asking. The GMs might be able to see around your area (if they have time), but other than named horses they have no way to know which animals in the wild are really yours. And this game is still in beta (whether everyone wants to believe that or not) so sometimes changes will cause losses that will not be compensated for.

Updates and changes almost always have some degree of problems in Wurm, and you learn you have to accept it when there are bugs. It all works out in the end to make the game a little better than before. About the only tihng I think Rolf could do better is give a day's notice more often when he is about to make some changes, so we can all stay close to our villages just in case.

Theres some things you can do to prevent it like double layer walls around pens and using gatehouses instead of fence gates.
the animal in question was in a house...attached to a cart.

Todays updateincluded a bug that allowed creatures to pass fence gates, so its not a dispositioning bug or rollback.
This bug has been in place MUCH longer than just today. At least since that last big crash...every update since then and includig that last crash..animals go missing. The bug has just been formally acknowledged today.

Gms do have tools to help you find your animals back - even if it is just by flying around the landscape to see them.. They might not have time right now becuase theyre more than likely being flooded with requests.
- really?????...according to the gm i talked to during the last big crash..they have no way of doing this...and lets just for the sake of the argument say they do...its seems the GM's wait for 12 to 24 hours before being seen in game after a crash / update where this happens...im certainly not the only one that has noticed this...perhaps since you have played for such a long time and have had a chance to get to know them..your issues get addressed...its simply not the case for me or others i know when it comes to missing animals. Im still waiting on a response to a ticket i put in for a missing animal from the last update....hmmm...guess they dont have time to address it...busy i guess for a week or so....perhaps the ticket got lost somehow..who knows...only thing I know...is that its not been addressed..and it probably never will be....so there is not much reason to put in another, when I have a Gm telling me there is nothing they can do about it and tickets never get answered.....I interpret that as .."there is nothing we can do..sorry for your loss...but ###### happens" ok fine and good..if thats the way it is..so be it. But I dont think asking to give a tool to the Gm's / Ca's to insta locate the animals is an extreme request...taking hours and hours of time to implement....seems a Button with a Query to a database with a couple to 3 parameters would do the trick..and would make waiting out the ineveitable bugs when updating for new features a bit more bearable.

CAs (sorry) are most of the time just uninformed when they respond to gm calls and have no idea what the GMs can actually do and not do.

this has nothing to do with the CA's...the point, if you will read the post..is to give them the abilltiy to "Insta" locate them. there is no need for ayone to have to fly or ride or walk all over the map to find a lost animal...this is what a database query is used for.......its not a big thing really.

And to reiterate - this has become the norm...at least since the last 3 crashes /updates. Its very consistent - Have crash or update?...get ready to hunt animals.

I am sure you can imagine that they are simply being flooded with "help my horse has gone missing" or much more severe issues, such as complete houses being vanished or whole inventories poofing. These are volunteer staff, so you can't expect 24/7 instant responses, especially if theres a lot of stuff happening at once and there's only so many gms.

As for the double layer; I mean two layers of fences. Animals always get unhitched from carts during downtime, so that is not a solution. Inside a house there's still, only one wall prevent them from getting to freedom.

The last few crashes were dispositioning bugs and rollbacks; not animals passing through gates. This is a new bug. And Rolf is trying his best to fix it.

I can understand the angst that losing some prize livestock can cause people. I have today lost 5 dogs and can only find 2. Now the quality of these animals was not great and I understand that dogs are not exactly the top of the tree as regards achievements however, I do feel that we have to remind ourselves that we are talking about pixels here!

Animals do get lost in real life, they do stray out of fields. This is the first time that this has ever happened to me in over 15 months playing on two servers. If it does not become a regular occurence I will gladly donate a few head of livestock in return for some of the improvements promised in December.

I hope that everyone finds what they have lost. Let us support Rolf and his team.

• Like 2

I am sure you can imagine that they are simply being flooded with "help my horse has gone missing" or much more severe issues, such as complete houses being vanished or whole inventories poofing. These are volunteer staff, so you can't expect 24/7 instant responses, especially if theres a lot of stuff happening at once and there's only so many gms.

No one that i know of..nor myself has any expectation of 24x7 service..there is no precident in any other MMORPG out there..so there is no expectation of it here. I do however expect a ticket to be answered in a weeks time..even if its only to say sorry..sucks to be you...later........at least it has been acknowledged. And as for this "Were just volunteers"...let me say this ...I have had nothing but good experiences from any and all GM's and Ca's I have had to work with...very good bunch of people...however..they volunteered to do customer service..which is in fact..what they are doing...customer service...they accepted this before going into it...regardless of whether they were under a different impression...or whatever they thought it was going to be like. Being a volunteer...does not give you an excuse to half ass stuff or hide behind the fact that you volunteered to do the work - you may have to do some things you dont really like doing...if any of them are going to simply say...hey im not doing this because im just a volunteer and thats way more than I think i should be doing..then they need to stop volunteering. Dont expect sympathy just because your a volunteer...thats not going to happen...they chose to do it..they accepted all the resposibilities that go with it...they are going to have to follow through with what they volunteered to do...or it just makes the game bad for everyone..again...if they dont like it..they are volunteers..they can quit volunteering at any time.

Dont expect any sympathy...they can however..at least in my opinion... expect an understanding that they have limited means of solving complex issues and we as players need to understand and work with them on that. They can do nothing about not having correct tools.

As for the double layer; I mean two layers of fences. Animals always get unhitched from carts during downtime, so that is not a solution. Inside a house there's still, only one wall prevent them from getting to freedom.

Yes and Rolfs post says they can get through fences due to the bug....house doors are not fences...and a quick update..the horse in question magically reappeared right where it should have been after the restart...It didnt walk back in..so im guessing the bug in the post may not be the only one out there?..who knows...but it certainly looks like a bit more work is needed..either in fixing the code or giving the staff tools to address the issues as they arrise.

The last few crashes were dispositioning bugs and rollbacks; not animals passing through gates. This is a new bug. And Rolf is trying his best to fix it.

This really is irrealevant..the result is the same...lost animals..and fences..and who knows what else. Since bugs are an integral part of any system being developed on a continual basis...tools are required to address the issues....the request is the same...Gm's /Ca's /anyone that wants to do the work..should have a quick tool that queries the database to see current location of x animal. really its just not a hard thing to do...it will however interfere with Rolfs deadline..but really..that deadline was artificially created by him...so there is no reason not to say hey...were moving the date to January...All the players...well most of the players I have met in Wurm are a very patient sort...another month tagged on to the deadline isnt really going to cause much fuss..especially if the reason is to create some tools for the game.

Edited by sunsvortex

You miss the one major piece that a few other people have mentioned that ties this all together... GMs, even if they have the tools to fly around and see what animals are around in the wild near you, still have no way at all to know which animals were in your pen before the crash. There is no way for the GM to even suggest which animals you should go after, and GM's are not going to run around for everyone that calls and pull in every animal within a certain area. Although the GMs do have some special powers to help with things like stuck boats and such, an "after crash location service" just isn't something that is reasonable, and provides too many ways for players to use the GMs in a method that interferes with the normal game flow. It is unfortunate that it happened, and it is frustrating, but it would be complete chaos if anyone could just summon a GM to locate any animal they asked for, without the GM having knowledge they just couldn't possibly have.