Sign in to follow this  
axeblade346

Today's Updates :-) 07/11/2012

Well while these new updates are interesting and all our place still lost 6-7 champ deer we had. :) Congrats on finding them whoever does, I shall be content with the m/f we did manage to recapture.

You must be new here :P

Emphasis was on the word should in that quoted statement.

I've been around long enough (years playing) to know Wurm typically doesn't live up to expectations, but still have hope that will change....some day. We'd all like Rolf to be able to enjoy success with his project rather than a dwindling playerbase.

I was more referring to the

be excited with changes

Somebody always hates any change that occurs (whether rational or not). Without fail.

Hmmm good update all around but tell me, were outdoor lights intentioanlly affected as well? Because I can see that the same lamps that were very bright and colourful yesterday got dimmer and less colourful today. Will this be fixed when the cave lighting changes are done? You can see it's significantly less awesome. :(

0S6Gm.png

BTW those are 70QL lamps with 70QL red dye on them.... they shouldn't look so dim and washed out :( I want the right hand side back please

Unintended side-effect of a rushed release and me still playing with lights. Should go back to normal next update.

• Like 2

It's not exactly healthy for the game when the common reaction to an update is "oh ######, what's broken now?"

• Like 1

Was there an intentional change to archery and mobs? Either there's a nasty bug or there was a large change that somehow "missed" the patch notes.

Would it be possible to get an option to change the strength of the bloom?

I like having it but sometimes it gets pretty bright

You can now add cochineal, copper and woad to dyes, to change the respective R G or B values only.

This means if you have a red dye, add some copper to it, you'll get orange...add more copper, it'll turn yellow.

Red dye + woad = purple. More woad = magenta. Etc etc.

Image above is approx 90ql yellow, cyan and magenta that's now possible.

Nice! This is just what we need to fine tune colours. Well done there. And I'm glad to hear the outdoor lights will return to their full glory. :)

Ok, so all the champs in my zoo escaped their pens after the update today. Zalifear, Foreverskyz, and I (Snoo) spent a few hours rounding them up (those that didn't wander into nearby deeds and get killed at least) and put them back in their pens. Then I had to go to class for a few hours. When I get back online one of the champ unicorns has escaped it's locked pen...no other creature has escaped, just the unicorn. This needs to be looked into further

Hi,

That's a bit too much vitriol there. You have been told there were problems, telling you exactly what happened won't make it any easier for you to fix. And Rolf can't guarantee this won't happen again, we all know it will. I spent all morning chasing champ deer, only to watch them walk through the fences as I put them away. Made for a silly, frustrating, but enjoyable morning. It's a game, remember?

You are right. Much vitriol. I hope I was able to formulate it in a not-offensive way, and you can believe me, this was hard a task. Such things just must.not.happen!

It's not only that obviously a change was made that wasn't tested at all.

It's not only that this change had a thick, fat coding mistake in it, that hurt quite some people - and I don't think of me or my kind with such, but of the innocent newbies that got eaten over and over by my escaped champ crocs.

It's not only that this wasn't the first time of happening such, and not the first time that no way of a quick-rollback was available.

Reading the further patch notes I see, very well hidden on tumblr, but not existent in the forum version:

A new feature in the system is that relatively smart creatures like trolls and goblins will escape unlocked pens.

Here we have it, as it seems. And it smells like a roach that spent ways too many days on a sunny dock. Read again.

It's a change that makes former valid possibilities impossible. Did we get a notice in advance, warning us to lock our champ gobos, because they might escape else and run havoc among the newbies nearby? No, we didn't.

Even if all had went well, we'd still have had some problems, because this change wasn't announced, so the players concerned had no chance to prepare for it. Poor communication? No, no communication at all. Why?

I imagine what would happen if I'd work this way - I'm doing database development. I'd make massive changes inventing cool new features, but that would change the expected behavior of the database. These I wouldn't announce, more fun for the users this way. And I wouldn't test my changes, and wouldn't prepare a rollback in case of a mistake.

No, tbh, I do not want to imagine what my customers would do to me. Getting drowned in vitriol would be like a holiday in the sun, compared.

Have a good time!

Edit: better formulating

Edited by Xandra

I imagine what would happen if I'd work this way - I'm doing database development. I'd make massive changes inventing cool new features, but that would change the expected behavior of the database. These I wouldn't announce, more fun for the users this way. And I wouldn't test my changes, and wouldn't prepare a rollback in case of a mistake.

No, tbh, I do not want to imagine what my customers would do to me. Getting drowned in vitriol would be like a holiday in the sun, compared.

Exactly this.

I'm software developer, analyst and coder. Name it as you want.

- Everytime I need to do some changes to customer database or setting, I have to test it in my environment many times with different conditions first.

- Then consult it with customer IT.

- Backup all what is possible and even all what is not.

- Perform all needed changes and then check everything is all right.

- If anything goes wrong, return system to previous state.

- Report all progress and results to customer.

If I miss anything from this and things goes wrong, my boss will send me to customers by RDP, they will butcher me to pieces, torture me, fry and then send me back. Where boss will drop my remains into sarcophagus, revive me and repeat whole process. I do not want even think about it.

.. and in Wurm it is common, that after some patches, something is more or less corrupted, but restore from backup is too difficult or time consuming or there are none backups??? but who care, small apology will heal it, and everybody can continue

Perhaps wurm dev team needs my boss and his rules?

• Like 1

Rolf is the boss, the coder, the tester, the investor, in your scenario even the customer. If he used those routines Wurm 1.0 wouldn't be out until christmas next year and he would be broke half a year ago. And even so a bug might slip through and if it does maybe it isn't reported right away so customers have played the game for some hours and roll back would mean they loose all they have done in that period of time.

Huge online games with massive budgets have these same types of bugs in patches that they make in spite of all their testing prior to implementing them. To expect more that this with a small Inde game headed by one major programmer and his small staff is a bit unrealistic. Certainly the bugs mentioned here are upsetting but they will always occur with patches and be straightened out later as time is available to do so. I am just surprised that with all the complaints presented in a *harsh* manner, that Rolf does not just throw up his hands and in effect say to heck with it all. It must take a lot of character and determination for him to continue on with this game with these harsh criticisms presented (some actually by myself as well).

For ones own peace of mind and enjoyment, I think it is best to accept that these bugs will pop up and make the best of the situation for a period of time until they are resloved. It's not as if they are being ignored (current ones mentioned) and will never be rectified. What upsets me more are intentional changes made that have negative effects upon game play, as those are decisions made with some forethought and not bugs that tunnel out of nowhere surface into the game.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 1

yea wurm players are needy and whiny and trollish.

Yea so couple of champs got out of my yard and rampaged around the starter deed. Some guys had a good time putting them down. No big deal.

• Like 2

It's not only that obviously a change was made that wasn't tested at all.

You know nothing about the testing process at all and a lot of testing was done before this was released. Don't make claims about things you have no idea about.

• Like 1

You know, these kinda bugs used to happen a LOT more often. I'm not normally one to stick up for him, but I think Rolf's allowed the odd mistake in the build up to this big 1.0 update. It has been fairly smooth the last few months.

Now if all the buildings disappeared...

Edited by Darkmalice
  • Like 1

You know nothing about the testing process at all and a lot of testing was done before this was released. Don't make claims about things you have no idea about.

Sorry, but it sometimes is hard to believe that some of these errors could have even been missed during testing.

Someone changes something with animal pathing and suddenly they are all over the place. How is that a lot of testing? How was that missed, especially considering that it was not even the first (or second, or third?) time exactly this same thing happened.

I am not sure if I am missing something to begin with but was changing the code for trolls to walk out of unlocked pens really needed? Given they bash fences down so easily now, is there actually anyone who would bother to try and pen them up at all much less worry about the gates being locked or unlocked?

The animals walking through houses was a bug that occurred on the Test server for the past 1-2 months. How was this missed?

• Like 2

I am not sure if I am missing something to begin with but was changing the code for trolls to walk out of unlocked pens really needed? Given they bash fences down so easily now, is there actually anyone who would bother to try and pen them up at all much less worry about the gates being locked or unlocked?

I hope they remain able to walk through unlocked gates and stop bashing altogether.

Also was something changed to horses getting diseased? After clearnign out my pens and now having much much less horses, they all got diseased overnight...

I understand you are frustrated yourself about missing a bug like this but this is not a place to vent your frustration back to a client of the product your selling. A employee in a bigger game studio would of been had to deal with the boss for having said something like this and in a big studio would of been possible fired. Shame on your for losing your cool.

• Like 1

I understand you are frustrated yourself about missing a bug like this but this is not a place to vent your frustration back to a client of the product your selling. A employee in a bigger game studio would of been had to deal with the boss for having said something like this and in a big studio would of been possible fired. Shame on your for losing your cool.

While I understand everyone is frustrated (we ourselves lost quite a few animals) I see lots of over the top accusations pointed at the developers. I'd hardly call that losing their cool. & I'm sure they've put alot of effort into these updates and some people seem to have no problem stepping up & goading the developers. Sure animals got lose and shenanigans ensued but its just a game. Champs will respawn. Its a work in progress and everyone has done a great job so far.

• Like 1