Sign in to follow this  
Telarin

Enchanted Grass Balance

It seems that enchanted grass, with its ability to provide an unlimited amount of feed is still a bit overpowered. Yes, crowded animals get diseased, but this is a mild inconvenience at best. I propose the following changes to enchanted grass:

Now that tiles have a data element that allows them to store the grass "height" this should be utilized for enchanted grass as well. It should grow somewhat faster than regular grass, possibly even twice as fast. The major difference between regular grass and enchanted however would be that when it is eaten down to a height of 0, instead of becoming packed dirt, it would stay enchanted grass and would continue to grow back. Of course, at 0 height, it would not be grazable. This would limit the amount of creatures that could graze a single tile of enchanted grass, and thus help limit herd sizes kept in small pens.

-1 It is not going to change anything it is only going to hurt the casual players if someone wants to hoard they are going to regardless of if they have enchanted grass or not.

Please elaborate. How is limiting the amount of grazing that a single tile of enchanted grass provides going to hurt the casual player?

no? enchanted grass is earned by using up a path.

i think it's fits perfectly where it's at

• Like 2

I have 2 large (100 tile) animal pens that are enchanted, so naturally I'm against messing with it.

But when trying to think about it unbiased... Are you saying that allowing animals to eat enchanted grass down to dirt isn't enough? What type of tile/animal ratio are you proposing? Anyone with animals knows that they LOVE to all stand on the same tile. And there are different eating rates for different animals.

Example - 20 horses on 100 enchanted grass tiles, have never eaten a tile down to dirt. 18-20 deer on 100 enchanted grass tiles (without constantly hungry trait, i kill those when born), they eat down 1-3 tiles per week. Sometimes more. I've watched them do this for for 6 months and I will bet a paycheck that deer eat more than horses.

It is indeed overpowered, but you won't find much support in changing it among animal-hoarding players who are, by now, used to having all their grazing animals maintenance-free.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

Please elaborate. How is limiting the amount of grazing that a single tile of enchanted grass provides going to hurt the casual player?

If they don't play for a week or two then that grass could deplete and the animals on it be killed. I have enchanted grass and only have 12 horses and have a huge place but i am not a hoarder. The only reason people have trouble with enchanted grass is they want the hoarding to be stopped and that will never happen they will just use crops/steppe it is not going to stop them you're only hurting the people that don't hoard by nerfing enchanted grass.

• Like 1

I am not proposing allowing animals to eat enchanted grass down to dirt at all, I am simply proposing a limit on the number of creatures that a single tile can support. I don't really want to propose a particular ratio, as that is something that would need to be tweaked one it was seen how it worked in production. I actually wasn't aware that enchanted grass could now be eaten down to dirt, as I had not seen that happen. Maybe this could be a better alternative than actually destroying the enchanted grass by eating it to dirt.

Excellent suggestion.

Its not really a nerf and I have yet to see a enchanted grass tile turn to dirt even though it has been possible for 6 months+

• Like 1

I don't mind the suggestion the problem i have is not being able to see if it is depleted. If they were to changed the look of the grass when it gets to 0 or something then it would not be so bad i guess. The way it is now if it does go to dirt then you can see that it needs to be fixed in an instant and deal with it without losing any animals.

Well if the tile was depleted, you should not need to do anything, as it will continue growing as normal. And I would think it could have the same height indicators on it that regular grass tiles do: Medium height, growing wild, etc.

I can see what your saying it is just like in rl you can only support so many animals in an area then you have to supplement them with other food. The more i think about it the more i am liking it if it is done right.

I don't see why not. This would if anything make enchanted grass more useful and encourage less hoarding (hopefully)

+1

For the number of creatures on a tile, isn't that already dealt with with disease?

• Like 1

For the number of creatures on a tile, isn't that already dealt with with disease?

yes and they pack the enchanted grass tile

I suppose this would be a more predictable and reliable alternative. A depleted grass tile would serve as an empirical unambiguous indicator that that particular area is too heavily populated.

I suppose this would be a more predictable and reliable alternative. A depleted grass tile would serve as an empirical unambiguous indicator that that particular area is too heavily populated.

Yup ^

Too many animals = disease and they pack the tile.

So no...

So you want this in addition to animals being able to pack enchanted grass, or as a replacement to it?

And if you want to see animals pack grass, enchant your deer field. Maybe something like upping how much horses eat is a better fix to make the packed mechanism work better.

I like the concept, but where it will impact casual and newer players, with limits on the feeding capacity per tile, you will need larger pen areas.

I think this, in addition to the trample/pack percentage, would be nice IF they fix the "all animals gravitate to the same tile" issue and better balanced the consumption rate between animals so that you could have better ability to monitor and adjust food sources as needed.

Personally, I use 2x1 pens for my horses/livestock, so illness is never a concern (and have a Fo priest if it ever becomes one), but food consumption rates really do need to be looked at before looking at adjustments to the supply stream. Basically, fix the problem, not the symptom.

I think this would be a better alternative to having enchanted grass packed.

• Like 2

I think this would be a better alternative to having enchanted grass packed.

After i have thought about it i agree your idea is better that way you can buy enchanted tiles and not have to worry about losing them. In my setup i use 2x2 pens for each breeding pair so nothing is really going to affect me anyway but if a new player was to pay 1s per tile of grass they would not lose it that way.

For enchanters though, this would push a short term boost in demand, with long term drop since there would be no need to replace the exisiting tiles.

So we'll eventually be back where we were before the packing chance "feature", only a couple of people who will keep the path and charge outlandish prices.. (to be clear and as a disclosure, I can cast enchant and 1s to me is still an outlandish price if I don't have to travel, but always willing to take someone's money lol)

Edited by Hussars

For enchanters though, this would push a short term boost in demand, with long term drop since there would be no need to replace the exisiting tiles.

So we'll eventually be back where we were before the packing chance "feature", only a couple of people who will keep the path and charge outlandish prices.. (to be clear and as a disclosure, I can cast enchant and 1s to me is still an outlandish price if I don't have to travel, but always willing to take someone's money lol)

Very true on all accounts....