Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Collision Code Headsup

I’ve spent a bit longer coding the required 3D collision for multi storey buildings but as it looks now it’s working pretty much perfectly. You won’t be able to attack or steal between different levels or do other nasty things that shouldn’t be possible. The code has also been revamped in the core and is faster and more coherent. Now I plan on spending a week on taking care of a slew of pesky old bugs.

We’re discussing a server update tomorrow but we need to make sure we don’t break too much since it also requires client and possibly pack updates.

Today is election day in the US. I wish you all the best and hope that you make a good decision!

View the full article
  • Like 8

Will archery be possible from higher levels, though?

Will archery be possible from higher levels, though?

Would be interesting to be able to use archery and ranged spells from balconies on top floors. But there should be a damage/accuracy penalty on those, and people below should have the ability to fight back too.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to be able to use archery and ranged spells from balconies on top floors. But there should be a damage/accuracy penalty on those, and people below should have the ability to fight back too.

No there shouldn't. And yes they should.

• Like 1

Finally we get some news from you. Also

Now I plan on spending a week on taking care of a slew of pesky old bugs.

Even better

Guys, like DevBlog said: Good luck with the voting, and election.

But keep this in mind. I SAID KEEP IT IN MIND!!!

vote-odin-25688.jpg

• Like 13

And the best thing! He comes with a left wing and a right wing included!

• Like 4

Could you imagine the fun when he shows up for a Congressional Hearing (hopefully in armor)? :lol:

Too bad he's not a natural born citizen though :(

When god goes to sleep he looks under his bed for odin.

the image of that face/helm peering out at you from under the bed.. would scare me too...

*head pokes out*

:ph34r:

"Hey, Uh... look, there's no nice way to put this... can I borrow a pillow?"

How do you figure?

It's ALWAYS been the case that someone with a height advantage is going to be more accurate and deadly than someone on the low ground.

Why should there be an accuracy/damage penalty to someone using bows/magic from a higher floor? If anything they should get a buff to accuracy.

• Like 1

How do you figure?

It's ALWAYS been the case that someone with a height advantage is going to be more accurate and deadly than someone on the low ground.

Why should there be an accuracy/damage penalty to someone using bows/magic from a higher floor? If anything they should get a buff to accuracy.

+1

How do you figure?

Because then it would make PvP a crap, with people making wall houses and killing other players without there being any reprecussions. But the penalty should go both ways, maybe that wasn't explicit.

Sometimes a sacrifice on realism should be done for the sake of balance, and this is one of those. Either that, or have catapluts do splash damage so that players inside houses get hit by catapult fire.

Because then it would make PvP a crap, with people making wall houses and killing other players without there being any reprecussions. But the penalty should go both ways, maybe that wasn't explicit.

Sometimes a sacrifice on realism should be done for the sake of balance, and this is one of those. Either that, or have catapluts do splash damage so that players inside houses get hit by catapult fire.

Or you could balance things instead of nerfing them. Why else would I shoot from a balcony? You already made a good suggestion to counter the issue, that is making it possible to shoot at people up there. (Something that, annoyingly, isn't possible for windows.)

I'm sorry but last time I checked if you're laying siege to a well defended city with tall walls and archers it isn't going to be easy. Defenders have always had the upper hand I see no reason to change that. If anything giving a penalty to archers on rooftops would be MORE gamebreaking than giving them the bonus they would rightly have

Or you could balance things instead of nerfing them. Why else would I shoot from a balcony? You already made a good suggestion to counter the issue, that is making it possible to shoot at people up there. (Something that, annoyingly, isn't possible for windows.)

Nefting is part of how you balance it. If something is too big of an advantage it needs to be toned down (aka nerfing) for it to be a balance.

I'm sorry but last time I checked if you're laying siege to a well defended city with tall walls and archers it isn't going to be easy. Defenders have always had the upper hand I see no reason to change that. If anything giving a penalty to archers on rooftops would be MORE gamebreaking than giving them the bonus they would rightly have

Try reading my second paragraph again, apparently you kinda missed the point, or the entire paragraph. And apparently you forot this is a game. If you make it so that players can shoot others with impunity that would make PvP even worse that it is. Of course i'm not saying that a player shooting from a window should be at a disadvantage, but ammends must be made to make up for the immunity to melee damage.

More siege engines would be one way to balance out any possible height bonus to archery: towers, movable cover, shielded rams, etc

Atm shields and being able to build walls for cover are somewhat effective.

• Like 1

Just don't give a bonus or reduction to archery or spells from higher levels..

Profit? lol

Sign in to follow this