Sign in to follow this  
Zaramoth

Smelt Down Metal Items

Kind of goes along with various, take things apart, threads that talk about tearing down walls or carts for planks or whatever. It makes sense that you should be able to somehow take metal items, weapons armour tools, and smelt them back into their weight as lump. They should suffer a QL loss too, if that makes sense.

One issue is how it would work as you wouldn't want to just toss items into a forge and have them become lumps. Maybe a right-click action with your hands or maybe a new building called a smelter.

Either way, you should be able to smelt tools back into their lumps somehow.

• Like 4

I'd love to see this happen, all those useless armor items created when skilling up could now be recycled into something beyond favor bumps.

I think this has been suggested before lol, but again, would be great to take old items and such apart. Would really help when out and a bout and find old weapons and tools, you don't need them but the metal could work

Things like smelting and dissambly in general would be awesome, and thus come up in suggestions alot. Not to mention my usual mention of the old tool pliers.

Edited by Klaa

You could have a smelting pot that's about the size of a cauldron but made of clay. Smash things up with a hammer/maul and into smelting pot.

I think the reason this doesn't already exist is the griefing potential.

• Like 1

+1

I think it is a great idea. Would probably be good for the item database as well.

Griefing, how? you can sacrifice the items, burn them in your forge or just plain thrown them out in the wilderness already .. smelting them is not gonna cause more griefing..

Why not start a Wurm Recycling Movement and try to get this implemented :)

+1

But I believe this rises a problem: "what ql lump should be a result of scrapping"?

If it was the ql of the item, then simply making e.g. anvil, polishing it with a pelt and smelting would allow you to get very high ql lump after few repetitions.

+1

But I believe this rises a problem: "what ql lump should be a result of scrapping"?

If it was the ql of the item, then simply making e.g. anvil, polishing it with a pelt and smelting would allow you to get very high ql lump after few repetitions.

Under no circumstance should you get a high ql slab of ore after smelting. Maybe 2/3 the ql of the initial item?

• Like 1

Or half since the main potentional would not be for quality, but for the pure salveage of the materials that make up said item

i came on here searching to see if this had already been suggested so +10

I think the reason this doesn't already exist is the griefing potential.

Yeah, currently you can only throw them in an altar and sac em or dump em in a trash heap if you wanna grief ;)

Edited by Bart
  • Like 1

+1

This would be especially useful for making things like nails when you don't want to deplete the iron veins nearby.

Create a new skill 'salvaging' which affects the quality you get back?

+1 I have plenty of tools in my workshop that I would love to smelt down to make room for more crap XD

+1

I think we should be able to make a cauldron type container that fits in a forge and takes extra long to heat up (I.E. the forge needs to be at glowing status for 15 minutes).

As far as ql of resulting lump, make it 10% of the original items' ql, like metal scraps used to be. One lump per item smelted, to keep it simple.

EDIT: Perhaps it would make more sense to require a steel or ceramic cauldron for smelting iron, because you obviously can't smelt iron inside iron... it would melt

Edited by ianrose