Sign in to follow this  
Shades

Reasons Why Sandbox Games Suck

The main problem:

is not the lack of investors

not the quality of the code/developed features

not the graphics

its the slow motion factor!

somehow, sandbox companies believe that a huge population want to play a game in slow motion, when in fact we want fast motion

that is why we play games: for fast motion

I was starting this game in the hope that its different from all the other sandboxes when it comes to: how fast I can build, level up and have fun...

have a look at the sandbox market and see how unssuccessfull it is compared to minecraft.

my description of minecraft:

a sandbox game with very basics and poor graphics and features.

why does it beat all the other sandboxes? its fast-paced!

here are some tips to make wurm a successfull game:

Time to raise crops:

change it from days to hours

amount of planks created:

from 1 to 2-5 per action, rare failures

levels gained:

amount of skill gained in 5 hours reduced to 30 minutes.

2x better chance of foraging/botanics

3x better chance of finding iron vein

mine 2-5 stone shards/ iron ore per action

nail 1-3 planks per action

time to nail 1-3 plank: reduced by 2

(edit) and so on...

Edited by Shades

You will not get any support from the community in this.

Unless its a seperate server (such as epic vs Freedom)

Epic has 3x skillgain already anyway.

Freedom has longtime players, if there was such a chang as this it would cause mass disruption as people who have been playing for years would've lost all that time as people can get it just as fast.

That is not how wurm is. Sorry.

Edited by Trencal
  • Like 4

If i wanted fast pace building i would just play minecraft. As a new player i can see how you think it is slow but if you have a few skills it is not that big of a deal to crank out a few hundred bricks/planks to build a house or whatever.

Edit: I just bought a deed and it took me about 5 days now to bash walls and completely redo the whole deed. I was putting on the finishing touches today planting the trees and bushes i wanted. That was including putting in a mine and mining out about 15 tiles till i found iron and building a huge 38 tile house along with two other smaller ones.

Edited by Kegan

No thank you. I love the way that Wurm evolves. I want each little improvement that I make to my deed to hold a real sense of achievement for me. I totally appreciate that this may not be the system that some people want- but that is why there needs to be a variety in games, so that as many people have their wishes fulfilled. I have Wurm.

Its one of these threads again.

Edited by atazs
  • Like 2

"when WE want fast motion" Excuse me? Why the hell do you think you can peer into the brain of the 1000+ people who play wurm and like it how it is, slow paced? You're asking for an entire rehaul of the foundation of this game. There is other games that are fastpaced, but a lot of people play specifically this game becuase it takes effort and time to accomplish something.

• Like 3

There is a population of players who want a server with fast skill gains. Epic is still slow. Very slow. Still takes days to get some skills up.

The problem this game suffers from:

It wants to have pvp, but it's so poorly designed that the PVP system is more of a nuisance than anything.

For example:

You kill someone, but then they just respawn. WTF? No three day death ban or something? Perma death? I mean come on. You just pissed someone off, lets hope that you ONLY troll and don't bother building a city or they're going to get their friends and raid your city when you're not on.

Which is the next problem. It's super hard to build a city, but super easy to destroy it. Doesn't make any sense. Why can people destroy my city when I'm asleep at 4am in the morning? Why isn't there a window of opportunity where buildings can only be attacked from 6pm to 9pm each day to force combat at those prime time hours?

This game suffers from too much time investment, that you can easily lose in a matter of minutes with no repercussions to the attackers (unless they have a large city like you to destroy, which usually isn't the case the attackers usually use alts and man catapults while you're asleep, and usually use just a token to set up their operations)

I hope Rolf considers a fast skill gain pvp server (with faster building too) and deathban (24 hour to three day death bans)

Edited by JasperCity

Why can people destroy my city when I'm asleep at 4am in the morning? Why isn't there a window of opportunity where buildings can only be attacked from 6pm to 9pm each day to force combat at those prime time hours?
Its called recruiting people from other time zones. Speaking of other timezones you probably never heard about them. Also its called a sandbox. Just because you cant be on at 4am doesnt mean others shouldnt raid. Its part of the pvp in wurm. If you cant deal with it then either go to freedom or dont make your own deed.

There is a population of players who want a server with fast skill gains.

So what? We cant have everything...

I hope Rolf considers a fast skill gain pvp server

You want a faster server than epic? It sounds like you really dont like the pace of the game. Maybe this game isnt the best for you...

deathban (24 hour to three day death bans)

Thats just stupid. Death in this game is already so unforgiving its one of the main reasons people dont PvP and instead hide on their deed etc. It would just make things worse. The same person can still come back and destroy your deed after that.

This game suffers from too much time investment, that you can easily lose in a matter of minutes with no repercussions to the attackers (unless they have a large city like you to destroy, which usually isn't the case the attackers usually use alts and man catapults while you're asleep, and usually use just a token to set up their operations)

While i somewhat agree at this, but as i said before you should recruit other people from different timezones to watch your city if you are asleep. Even 1 people will do who can then alert the rest of your kingdom to help defend your deed.

I for one dont like the fast paced PvP on epic and prefer slow paced PvP like a guerilla warfare that was happening on chaos before epic opened.

Edited by atazs

If you don't like how Wurm is, you shouldn't play Wurm. Enough people like it the way it is so it wont change.

Edited by Sir Arowhun
  • Like 1

My point is the game shouldn't favor griefing, If there's people from other time zones playing then have two windows of opportunity. Have one in the morning and one in the evening to consider both europe/asia and America's. There should be no reason that someone can attack my city while only 7 people are on on the entire server. People do need to sleep, and they shouldn't lose their hard work due to a vindictive little kid and his buddies not having a job and playing 24/7.

This hasn't even happened to me, I just see it far too often on the server I'm on that it's sickening. Every city attack the attackers just wait until the people are logged off to attack, and the populations in wurm isn't big enough to recruit enough people to be on 24/7. I've seen a lot of people quit because there's no way to get back the stuff lost. They just put the stuff on alts so that the goods doesn't get stored in a city that can be raided.

Windows of opportunity would actually be REALLY beneficial to this game. It would mean everyone would log on during those three hour windows to make sure their cities are safe, which would bring everyone together to be on at the same time, and might lead to some really epic PVP battles if done right.

Edited by JasperCity

I don't pvp but if it had a system for a set raiding time on home servers it might not be a bad idea i can see what your saying there but the faster skill gain and fast building i am not a fan of.

I actually specifically prefer wurm over minecraft because of the slow pace and indepth crafting.

• Like 1

well Kegan the faster skill gain/ faster building would only be if it was on a new server, I wouldn't want them to monkey with the home servers too much I've put too much time already in to this character but I'd definitely switch servers if they made a new one with faster skill gain / faster building.

I prefer the slow pace when I've got time to play.

I work 70 hours a week though... so I really don't have as much time as others to play all day and get the skills I want. I dread thinking about my attributes because I only get a 2-3 hour window to play at times.

Edited by JasperCity

Players have very different reasons for liking their games. Faster pace isn't universally good. Wurm is a niche game for a niche audience. Wurm will never have a player base comparable to big sandbox/MMO titles because it doesn't seek to appeal to the same audience. If you think Minecraft is better, that's fine: Minecraft is the right game for you, Wurm isn't.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

People do need to sleep, and they shouldn't lose their hard work due to a vindictive little kid and his buddies not having a job and playing 24/7.

If you do not like the idea of your town possibly getting raided, perhaps you should not play on a server where that is possible. Or join a large town with many peopel, safety comes in numbers. Asking for an entire rehaul of the game just becuase you don't like the risks of a pvp server is stupid to say the least.

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 1

Windows of opportunity would actually be REALLY beneficial to this game. It would mean everyone would log on during those three hour windows to make sure their cities are safe, which would bring everyone together to be on at the same time, and might lead to some really epic PVP battles if done right.

There is another way.

Regardless of the time of day raiders can't raid a city you never built. Or drain a Token you never planted and if there isn't anything of value known to be in whatever low investment construction you've done then there's little incentive to bother raiding them. Combine that with an abundance of tower spam preferably armed with spears or other pole arms to raze raiders horses (raiders hate walking but love sailing so stay off the outer or easily reached coasts) and the use of the games mechanics to keep valuables in unraidable or practically unraidable locations or states and you are set.

In my view, the niche audience of wurm does not justify the effort put into this game.

I believe developers would like this game to appeal to a larger niche.

Everyone wants to hit the stars, everyone wants to hit greatness, why keep wurm into such small niche and have no funds to make it bigger?

In my view, the niche audience of wurm does not justify the effort put into this game.

Everyone wants to hit the stars, everyone wants to hit greatness, why keep wurm into such small niche and have no funds to make it bigger?

Are you a mind reader?

Rolf has worked on this game for 10 years now, I think he would know better than you what audience he is aiming for.

Edited by Wulfgar

There has been zero advertisement of Wurm yet, what makes you so sure that it won't attract more than enough to make the developer following his own vision more than happy?

I am sure that every sandbox lover does not need advertisement to know every sandbox game out there

we are seeking sandbox games in every deep and dark hole of the internet...

thats how I found wurm, seeking it persistently. and thats what sandbox players does.

they already found wurm and many others sandboxes, they just are not included in this niche of slow-paced gamers.

There is no grandeur in a game when you can do anything in a day. The fact that I have been working on my village for over a year and there are still improvements I want to make to it is an indication of Wurm's greatest appeal - what you do takes time, and is a greater accomplishment thanks to that.

Well, your view isn't Rolf's view.

Some developers make games for other reasons than fame and money. Rolf has explained in the past that he set out to create an online sandbox survival fantasy game that of the likes that didn't exist back then. It probably didn't exist because people thought like you; "it's not worth it". Then along came Rolf and Notch and proceeded to made Wurm Online, the game they wanted to play but which hadn't been made yet. What would the point be in making carbon-copies of other online games just to appeal to more people?

So I'll reiterate: There is a myriad of online games out there designed with the broad audience appeal and fast-paced gameplay that you and many with you value so highly. You might want to look into those instead of suggesting fundamental changes to this one.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

... because people thought like you; "it's not worth it".

the other insult you wrote was even worst... but you editted fast!

/me grabs the popcorn and sits back

I bet this is Seff or Royal deciding to troll the forums instead of just GL