Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

Wurmskills - Tool Showing Your Skills Over Time

I made a little software tool that I'd like to share with you. It is called "WurmSkills" and can be used to create nice diagrams from your skill dumps. Here is a short description, taken from the help file:

While you play Wurm Online your game character is acquiring a great deal of skills, which will gradually increase over time. If you are a dedicated player you may be interested to analyze your gameplay by taking a closer look at your various skills and find out how those skills have evolved over time.

This is where WurmSkills comes in. The program allows you to choose between your game characters and select one or more of that character's skills to be analyzed. It will then draw a line chart showing the increase of the skills you selected over time. The diagram can be resized to your needs and saved to disk for further use.

This is an example:

ORVLe5v.png

The program will make use of your skill dumps, so it is necessary that you have skill dumping enabled. While you are able to create a single skill dump using a console command, the best way of enabling regular skill dumps is:

- Start Wurm client
- Click "Settings"
- Change to the "Text" tab
- Find the line saying "Dump skills at exit"
- Tick the check box.

You will then get a skill dump every time you exit the client. (To obtain useful charts you should have dump files for a larger period of time - at least a couple of weeks.)

WurmSkills has been successfully tested with Windows Vista and Windows 7, but will probably also run with Windows XP. (You need .NET Framework 4.5) To install and use the program, just download this zip file:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/0k5137m2k1hfiu6/WurmSkills102.ZIP

Unzip the contents (WurmSkills.exe and WurmSkills.chm) to any folder you like and run the executable. (I found that some antivirus products may classify the program as "suspicious" - I have no idea why! Ask Microsoft... Be assured that this is not malware!)

I hope you like this little tool - have fun using it. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please check my other tools: Wurmclock, WurmDate, WurmStatus, DPMapAssist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Update 1.02 (see below)

• Like 8

"Unable to locate WURM folder"

"Unable to locate WURM players folder: C:\Users\u00c4garen\\wurm\players\"

tldr: its not working.

"Unable to locate WURM folder"

"Unable to locate WURM players folder: C:\Users\u00c4garen\\wurm\players\"

tldr: its not working.

There seems to be a great variety of installation scenarios for Wurm Online. Yours seems to be different from all those I've tested it with. I assume your WurmOnline client is installed in "C:\Users\u00c4garen\"? The problem seems to be the way the Wurm client stores the installation path in the registry. I'll check and post a new version soon.

Thanks for your feedback.

C:\Users\Ägaren\wurm\players

The username uses a swedish letter.

Does your program work for all the unicode characters, or is it limited to A-Z, 0-9?

also I want to point out...

C:\Users\u00c4garen\\wurm\players\

wasnt a typo on my part.

Edited by Zekezor

C:\Users\Ägaren\wurm\players

The username uses a swedish letter.

Does your program work for all the unicode characters, or is it limited to A-Z, 0-9?

also I want to point out...

C:\Users\u00c4garen\\wurm\players\

wasnt a typo on my part.

Yes, I understand :) I thought that was the bug (trailing backslash), but in fact the problem lies with the Ä character. Actually, the program works with full Unicode support, but obviously Wurm doesn't. ;)

The program reads the Wurm directory from the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\wurmonline\client) - and I wasn't prepared for that "u00c4". Would you mind looking up the exact string in that registry entry under "wurm_dir" and post it?

I'll try to fix the problem.

Edited by Yaga

Would you mind looking up the exact string in that registry entry under "wurm_dir" and post it?

eh?

eh?

To be able to solve the problem with diacritics in the Wurm path I need to know how Wurm stores the path in the registry. If you want to help, the easiest way to get that info would be if you had a look in your registry.

Just run Regedit and look for the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\wurmonline\client. On the right side you'll find an entry called "wurm_dir". I need to know the exact string that is stored there (for example: "C:///Users/\u00c4garen///wurm", or whatever...).

There are several differences:

- riceri ("Skillcompare") only draws data points for those dumps you uploaded

- WurmSkills uses all your dump files, thus you get much "denser" diagrams

- WurmSkills is a local application, so you don't have to publish your skills

- WurmSkills diagrams can be resized and saved to disk

- WurmSkills also generates CSV files that can be used with other programs, e.g. Excel

- WurmSkills lets you choose the period of time to analyze

- WurmSkills creates slightly better diagrams (larger, better time axis ...) :)

Edited by Yaga

Well, there seems to be a little problem with folder names containing "special" diacritic characters (like Ä, Ö, Ü...). The Wurm client uses a custom proprietary format to encode these unicode characters in the registry, which WurmSkills is unable to parse at the moment.

As a workaround I added a user dialog which prompts for the Wurm folder, if the program is unable to find it by itself. This will help those of you who have special characters in the folder name to use the program. Please download the new version (v1.01) from the link given in the OP.

I'll keep on searching for a better solution.

Edited by Yaga

Just run Regedit and look for the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\wurmonline\client. On the right side you'll find an entry called "wurm_dir". I need to know the exact string that is stored there (for example: "C:///Users/\u00c4garen///wurm", or whatever...).

/C:///Users///u00c4garen//wurm

Update: v1.02 (link in OP).

Found a solution for the problem of special characters appearing in the folder name. The program should now be able to find your Wurm folder on its own.

Are people still using this? Is there any feedback or change requests? Bug reports?

(I'm still using it myself a lot :) )

Just downloaded, looks good, thanks

Edited by solmark
  • Like 1

Would it be possible to save your selection to the hard disk, so that every time you want to run the same report you don't have to manually select the player and all the skills you want to track?

By the way, this works for Windows 8, just thought you'd like to know :)

Edited by solmark

just a quick question... would it be possible to feed it with the skill-messages as well?

never made any skilldumps, but have skill-notification on every gain :)

Edited by Nachtmahr

Thanks for the suggestions - both good ideas. I'll think about it... :)

I would like to second the suggestion to have it look through the _skills log rather then from skilldumps. Not sure how much work it would be but it could allow for some seriously sweet curves seeing as you get a LOT more updates to work with.. I could see processing time to create the curve be a lot longer though since it would be quite a bit more data to work with.

Nice tool :) Thank you for making it :)

And as a suggestion, although I DO save skill dumps on every exit, I agree with the others that said that it would be nice if it would also analyze the skills log for people who don't have skill dumps.

• Like 1

I like this, well done, I was looking for something that graphed skills that actually worked :D

• Like 1