Sign in to follow this  
dadd

Marco Checking...

I don't know the system, but I know it's not simply a question that pops up, and if you answer it you automatically get banned. That's way too faulty, and one question doesn't prove anyone is macroing. I often que up 5-6 actions and alt-tab to another game, what if I missed the question? That doesn't prove anyone is guilty.

That's why the question is merely 1 factor to determine who is macroing, it's just more proof to add to the proof. I am sure all bans, mutes, warns, suspensions have to be put in manually like "Ban ____ 100 minutes reasons: hax" They aren't automatically banned, my guess is they're manually put in. So stop worrying about the question that pops up, it's hardly the determination of who is macroing and who isn't. It's not that simple.

I would guess a GM was watching him and could note obvious things - lack of cursor movement, pattern in timers, etc. It's not all the question that pops up, that is just a response test.

Edited by Postes

EVERY action a Gm does it logged, posted and reviewed by the entire team up to and including Rolf. A Gm account is logged 8 ways to Sunday and reviewed for even the slightest infractions. Every ban we do is posted for the entire team to review and is discussed and used as a review / teaching lesson for newer GM's. Every action we do, we post about, to cover our asses from a player base that tries to get us fired for farting into a stiff breeze

As was stated before, please for the love of all that provides cookies, stop stating as fact a system that you know not how it works.

and to amadee, yes, the wrong answer and getting kicked anyway was a direct accident on my part, i sent a global announce as soon as i saw what i did to every player on the server, perhaps you were still offline at the time, but i immediately apologized for my screw up with fat finger syndrome.

• Like 6

and to amadee, yes, the wrong answer and getting kicked anyway was a direct accident on my part, i sent a global announce as soon as i saw what i did to every player on the server, perhaps you were still offline at the time, but i immediately apologized for my screw up with fat finger syndrome.

Respect B)

• Like 1

EVERY action a Gm does it logged, posted and reviewed by the entire team up to and including Rolf. A Gm account is logged 8 ways to Sunday and reviewed for even the slightest infractions. Every ban we do is posted for the entire team to review and is discussed and used as a review / teaching lesson for newer GM's. Every action we do, we post about, to cover our asses from a player base that tries to get us fired for farting into a stiff breeze

As was stated before, please for the love of all that provides cookies, stop stating as fact a system that you know not how it works.

:) I think this is what most people are waiting to hear. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

Hey smarty pants, would you mind terribly telling us how the system DOES work then?

I just love when you mods dress down the customers for not knowing what's going on, when it's painfully obvious that all most of us PAYING customers want is a ###### explanation most times. Instead of giving us what we want, we get the brush off and are told we are stupid. Simply arrogant. And I can only assume now, with what you just said, is that this behavior is what is taught by the people in charge. Now I know why some of the GMs act like fools.

Hey smarty pants, would you mind terribly telling us how the system DOES work then?

I just love when you mods dress down the customers for not knowing what's going on, when it's painfully obvious that all most of us PAYING customers want is a ###### explanation most times. Instead of giving us what we want, we get the brush off and are told we are stupid. Simply arrogant. And I can only assume now, with what you just said, is that this behavior is what is taught by the people in charge. Now I know why some of the GMs act like fools.

And it's painfullly obvious to see idiots like you 'beg' to know how it works, when the whole reason it's not being disclosed is to stop other players from trying to work around it and not get caught. GM's are chosen thorugh a strict guideline and as stated all decisions are reviewed. This particular case isn't anything to do with you, so you won't be getting the full facts, your not getting getting brushed off.

• Like 3

My in game name is ruthie. I've been playing WURM for over 5 years. I live in Crystal City with Dadd. We talk daily on a variety of topics. Sometimes it's what is going on in our lives...other times I ask him questions about how to do something in game. Not too long ago I was reading an article about macroing. I used to play ATITD where macroing was allowed. So I asked him about it in relation to WURM. His response was that he doesn't macro because it's cheating, and that when you play WURM the doing is the playing.

Since Dadd has posted his stats I can talk about his mining skill. Last spring he decided to grind mining to 99.99. He said it would take a few weeks... (chuckle). I was a skeptic! I had followed a conversation once on kchat concerning exactly this: Grinding a skill to 99.99. Because of the algorithm I knew it was going to take many many months! I'd ask him how mining was going and his response was always SLOW! Then he'd comment that the gain had slowed again... only getting .05 gain after 5 hours of work. There there were the messages of 'fatigue' so he'd have to stop and put dadd to bed. He did not macro.

If you read his post where he talks about the way he plays you can see that he is a hard core player. He is at work while playing so he is often afk. (I know.... I have to wait for his response to my MANY chats!!! *grins*) He works on several characters at one time on two computers. He knows the keys so well that he doesnt' have to look when he is grinding a specific skill. I have known him for 5 years and know him as an honorable man. I trust him as do others who call him friend.

• Like 4

perhaps the words i typed came across wrong Jack, I mean no us versus them arrogance, if that is how you took it, perhaps i will better choose some words to replace some. The point still remains, everything we do is logged and reviewed, and ANY ban is not done without at least 2 GM's usually.

Also seems to me it's not just "answering a question wrong and getting banned". Answering a question wrong is already an advanced step. Only people with suspicious activity get questions. I've played for 2 years, often all day long grinding the same thing, and never got a question.

Edited by Judicator

You guys keep saying "He didn't macro." Okay... are you at his computer? Are you there physically watching him every second he's mining or crafting? No offense, but I kind of doubt it, I known people who play then suddenly find out they used third party cheats or macros, and I'm shocked. I known may 2-3 people who got banned for macroing and honestly I would of never guessed in a million years they macroed, even I thought it must of been a mistake. Yes, it may pain you a friend was banned, but I am doubtful it was without proof and evidence. I think you should let GMs resolve the issues and review it, but honestly you may think what you like about your friends, but you can never really be that sure of issues like this.

Edited by Postes
  • Like 4

Thanks for the insight Pacer, I assumed there was a panel of some sort to review banning and other "drastic" actions.

Good luck to everyone (GM and players) actually involved in the current issue, it doesn't look to be an easy road for anyone...

If all players were treated equally in the ban system maybe there wouldn't be outrage and conspiracy theorists, just a thought.

• Like 1

Gees I have explain how it went down , may i just ask what is marcoing,,, is it running some program cheat etc that allows a player to multi action when not on their computer?

I was here on two computers , i did not need to move on Franek he was at an altar praying not for skill but for gems , i need low ql gems to grind Sye on channeling, Franek had a hot key " P" for praying tapping that away not caring about stam etc, continuing to fish on Sye, (using the mouse click fish, click fish, click repair) these actions take about 4-5 mins, not sure how long i had been doing this , lets say 3 hours on and off. Then i was asked a question ,,i think it was ,, what fruit starts with A , (being very hard to read as it was not in long sentences but short 2 word long spread down the page) found at the bottom Apple , being as quick as a rabbit i click Apple , it clear my screen went back to my praying and fishing, then lost connections etc.

In a Aussie bugger it attitude let it go ,,,, i am banned there is nothing i can do about it and nor really i want to, i hate bloody drama ( i just had scale etc stolen by a ex friend) and that made me a bit grumpy but the unknown is worse. But i tell you this when i was robbed i placed all my nice things on Franek so i have now lost farwalkers etc things that cant be replaced tough titty thats wurm.

To those that are always hinting i cheated get over it build a bloody bridge, you make wurm an ugly place with your half filled glass attitude and trolling, as will be proven in some following posts. To the others beleive what you want re my actions, but may i say that if you have a hot key on with your finger on it and you dont move that alt it looks as though you need to move the alt a lot more.

I have accepted my ban, still confused over it re key locking /marcoing but i cant keep on explaining how i play wurm, and i know bugger all how the systems work etc i could go on for days about confusing things that happen in wurm but bloodyoath at the end of the day it is a great game i have never played another so cant compare it to any thing other than marbles or pocket billards. So bloody move on ,in 30 days i will be back to possilbe sell up then i can really retire to a billabong near an old gum tree.

Cheers Dadd

Edited by dadd
  • Like 6

Eh on some level, we all just want to push that big RED button...

I'm very angry how this turned out :-| | Wurm and its rule enforcers are way to paranoid about this subject. I've got experience with those question and GM's arguing with me because I purposely answer the question wrong. Maybe its time I go back to UO, at least in that game I don't have to worry about this subject coming up.

• Like 1

, i am banned there is nothing i can do about it and nor really i want to, i hate bloody drama

Sorry, but you made the thread, LOL. No one even knew you were banned, you brought this up and publicly announced it. If you had a issue with your ban and GMs, you should of brought it up with them, not of posted it here for everyone to see.

View hidden Post

I understand how Dadd just wants to move on and be done with it.

I also understand how many people could be upset over it.

To be honest if you going to ban you need to HAVE a conversation with the person being banned and inform them via convo what is going on.

The ban can always be escalated to higher Tier people after a review even to Rolf and then a CONCISE answer given.

Also if were going to ban for praying non stop without stamina ( which does not affect what you get in prayer) Then change the system so praying without stam states ***You are to tired to pray** that in itself would make people look a bit more.

suspect macro = ban

skill exploiters = rollback

wurm...

HOLLA

• Like 2

Exploits are really just bugs that need to be found and fixed. While macroing is intentionally cheating.

Granted someone with extremely high skills would result in increased suspicion and scrutiny, at least it would for me. However, as an outsider of the GM system, do not have access to the information to really make a determination. The system could use more transparency imho; however, its not a system Ive had any personal hand in building.

Over the years through two head GMs (might be three soon, indications have left me wondering if Oracle is thinking of retiring) Ive certainly seen the signs of constant tinkering, experimentation, and refining going on. More visible examples have been public lists and the like.

Not to mention various changes and shifts in GM behavior over the years and across servers. Wild/Chaos use to have much more GM activity until a firestorm of spying accusations erupted; though, I always did have the tingling like I was being watched in LO. :ph34r: Then theres been the changes in personnel. Many of the current GMs were regular players when I started, fairly certain a few werent even around at the time... makes me feel old <_<

Now if it sounds like Im wholeheartedly agreeing with the system, dont get me wrong. Generally I do agree with it, otherwise I wouldnt even be playing. One case where 4-5 major pvpers cant even land a single hit on a slowly moving, outmanuvered opponent is a strong indication of something screwy going on. Turns out after a GM call, there was. Granted the aforementioned player had a long history of abusing exploits and cheating in Wurm, banned a number of times.

On the other hand, Ive seen decisions on friends and villagemates where Im shaking my head over wth were they thinking. Not to mention the number of times Ill see players given more chances than I believe they deserve, and then watch them spit in the devs' eyes. It does get old.

Ultimately its Rolf's playground and we pay rent to play by the rules of his game.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

So either lock the thread or post a proper explanation of this whole macro business, don't be such a tease lol.

So either lock the thread or post a proper explanation of this whole macro business, don't be such a tease lol.

Why would they explain their full system? That is rather dumb. It makes it to where people can build bots because they know how the system works.

• Like 2

Why would they explain their full system? That is rather dumb. It makes it to where people can build bots because they know how the system works.

I think I gave another option, didn't I? Oh look! I did. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Have to say that Im terrified what happened to Dadd. I rarely write anything on forums and even less talking at kchats, but this made me to tell you my opinion.

I read all posts and have to say that many ppl are just so childish that should be removed or ignored :R But, have to say that I have known Dadd since MRH and I can surely say that he is old gentleman. And have to say also that I doubt that he even know teh bloody way to use any macro or build one. Just cos of his age. (no offence dadd)

One thing is crossing my mind all the time, and it is why! Why did he gathered all hes stuff and gear to priest which had everything already (more than 90 channeling and 100 faith) and as some of you say: started to be recless and as you might think, start to macroing to GAIN what? Why anyone could take that kind of risk after all these years playing, to first get all phats to single toon and then start macro and ignore it completely. No, I dont buy that! That is not possible, not by him or anyone. Not by honourable man which have done insane job to gain what he have. Im glad that Rolf can easily check from logs that he really lost those all what he said and its one part to prove that someone did mistake and forced ban to completely wrong person.

Anyway, another thing is because multiclienting is not reason to get banned, how you can send macro check to ip and ban every client which might be minimized or ignored meanwhile playing mainly on other toon and thats why not answering your macro check question. And why I doubt it works that way, because you receive macro check to every online toons you have up that time you receive it. So question is, did Dadd just get banned (toon or ip ban doesnt make difference) because he was multicliented (all paid accs) and didnt notice or was ignored teh priest cos of talking on local and fishing. If you send your bloody macro checks to ip then why that ONE answere [Yes, still sitting next to my computer] is NOT enough.

So, lets think that you have 5 or more toons up. Everyone can say that even hard core player like Dadd cant keep those 5 toons working continuously after 3 or more hours period. One AT LEAST one toon have to put minimized or ignore to some period of time. So what happens now when you are tired, played many hours (its almost morning but you want to finish this job you started and when you work w/ that you have your priests and alts and other nosediggers online cos you are playing), and you receive that macro check and you havent ever since seen it! Of course you can answere right that fruit with starts letter A is apple but in that moment (dont forget that you can have many conversations open, and its morning and you are tired or not paying attention anyway that much) do you even think that might be asked to every of your toons! No I highly doubt that is not teh first thing crossing your mind! at least you press few more fishing and repair before checking your other toons and that time, as we can read was teh cause of this.

Im glad about those kind posts like (corrax, ruthie and few others) and those cool me down even a bit. Something really terrible is happened and I really got pissed when I heard about this. I lean forward that mistake is set right asap and we all can continue included Dadd w/ his all toons. I also want to say that Im sorry for those all who are more closer w/ Dadd than I am. Peace!

• Like 3