Sign in to follow this  
BjornYngvar

Hay And Straw

I propose two new farming products, one an actual crop the other a byproduct.

Hay would be a crop. It'd be similar in appearance to wheat crops, but greener and without the head of grain.

You could get hay seeds by 'picking seeds' from mixed grass. Unlike other crops, when harvested hay tiles wouldn't turn back into dirt, but instead revert to their 'seedling stage' like when you just plant them and start growing again. (This mimics the real life production of hay, in which a field is sown only once and continually harvested from).

After harvesting, you could make hay-bales from the hay and strings of cloth. Maybe 2 strings of cloth and 10 bushels of hay.

Hay bales would weigh around 25kg and when dropped, animals would go to it and eat it instead of grass tiles. 1 bale of hay could feed a horse/cow/bull for about one or two (wurm) weeks, lasting less time proportionate for how many animals are eating from it.

The other product would be straw, a byproduct of all cereal crops (Oat, Wheat, Barley, and Rye). After harvesting the crop from the cereals, it would leave behind a tile of "<Crop> Stalks" which could be harvested again with a scythe to yield straw.

Straw could be used for thatch, forge fuel, bedding (Maybe an alternative to bear fur in beds?) flooring, etc.

• Like 7

I like it, and this would take the animal away from being able to pack dirt? Or is that separate from eating?

Yes and no.

Animals pack dirt when they eat it down to the nub (i.e. There are 3 growth stages. Short, Medium, and Wild). If an animal eats grass that's 'short' it'll turn to dirt.

This is meant to make it a bit easier to feed larger amounts of animals. Rather than constantly replanting the area with grass seed, you can just have a field of hay and drop some haybales into the pens. The animals would go for the hay first (like they go for enchanted grass first) and when it's gone then they eat grass.

i wanna roll in the hay :wub:

Wiro that's a bit forward don't you think? We just met.

Maybe dinner and a movie first.

Been suggested multiple times but what the hay

+1

Might see this when thatched roof comes into play

Edited by Macgregor

Hay would be a crop. It'd be similar in appearance to wheat crops, but greener and without the head of grain.

You could get hay seeds by 'picking seeds' from mixed grass. Unlike other crops, when harvested hay tiles wouldn't turn back into dirt, but instead revert to their 'seedling stage' like when you just plant them and start growing again. (This mimics the real life production of hay, in which a field is sown only once and continually harvested from).

-1: Already partially implemented. Cutting regular grass gives mixed grass and shortens the grass length (pretty accurate IRL). That mixed grass can be planted, preferably without an extra step for seeds. I feel that we don't need another crop type to accomplish this. Grass is good.

After harvesting, you could make hay-bales from the hay and strings of cloth. Maybe 2 strings of cloth and 10 bushels of hay.

Hay bales would weigh around 25kg and when dropped, animals would go to it and eat it instead of grass tiles. 1 bale of hay could feed a horse/cow/bull for about one or two (wurm) weeks, lasting less time proportionate for how many animals are eating from it.

The other product would be straw, a byproduct of all cereal crops (Oat, Wheat, Barley, and Rye). After harvesting the crop from the cereals, it would leave behind a tile of "<Crop> Stalks" which could be harvested again with a scythe to yield straw.

Straw could be used for thatch, forge fuel, bedding (Maybe an alternative to bear fur in beds?) flooring, etc.

+1 for being able to bale mixed grass

+1 for straw and associated products

There is a problem though with your logic sevenseeker, mixed grass, when planted, turns the tile into steppe, which doesn't look very good. And the step of pciking the seeds can be done in bulk just the same as cotton and pumpkins, it doesn't take more then a split second

There is a problem though with your logic sevenseeker, mixed grass, when planted, turns the tile into steppe, which doesn't look very good. And the step of pciking the seeds can be done in bulk just the same as cotton and pumpkins, it doesn't take more then a split second

Yeah I hear you. That was a weird implementation in the first place. Cutting steppe should give you steppe grass, cutting grass should give you more grass (call it mixed grasses or green grass or what have you). Wurmian genius at work.

Edited by sevenseeker

So the suggestion could be:

- Change mixed grass so it allows you to plant regular grass

- Implement some new mixed grass type that is only related to steppe (i.e. cut from steppe -> mixed steppe grass -> replant steppe)

- Dry mixed grass into hay (requires 2 days of sunshine, or indoors on a tile not in a container?)

- Allow combo of hay into bale of hay

- Make herbivors eat hay or bales of hay

/Zcul

• Like 3

The reason I think hay should be a crop is two fold

1) Hay is different from grass. It's a completely different strain of plant grown as an alternative or supplement to animals grazing in pastures. Usually it consists of (among grass which grows alongside it) legumes, alfalfa, clovers, green oat, green barley, and green wheat

2) Grass of sufficient length to cut with any meaningful product is rare for HOTS players thanks to Mycelium. In an effort to maintain fairness, hay being a crop (crops being incorruptible) would be a good solution to this.

- Implement some new mixed grass type that is only related to steppe (i.e. cut from steppe -> mixed steppe grass -> replant steppe)

- Dry mixed grass into hay (requires 2 days of sunshine, or indoors on a tile not in a container?)

/Zcul

That is a what it looks like :D

/Zcul

+1