Sign in to follow this  
Akiyama

Harbor Gate

24gn7ky.png

Simple idea, Allowing the user to make a closed harbor, canal, or ship yard. And prevent ships from being stolen.

Idea: 2 tile boarder gate, that hovers over Water. attached to tall wall types. be it stone or wood.

Allowing all ships to pass easy based on the depth you make your harbor entrance.

The gate should have all normal deed settings, and one for allowing what type of ships you allow in the harbor or canal to prevent large ships from accidentally getting stuck in a shallow, or tight space

Gimme Feed Back,

Aki,

• Like 12

Best idea to do with shipbuilding/canals i have seen definitely +1

+1

Although, unless your on epic/chaos ;) you shouldn't be having ships stolen from ya anyway.

This could easily be used to grief established canals , otherwise I like the idea.

This could easily be used to grief established canals , otherwise I like the idea.

This isn't any more of an issue that gates are to roads.

Like the idea of traffic control by having a setting for ship types. Can you imagine the race courses you could set up with this?

• Like 1

This isn't any more of an issue that gates are to roads.

Or mine door on "public" mines... but it is a good point..

Maybe require it to be built outside of caves, and on-deed only? Not going to stop the deed owner from causing problems, but they already can...

I suppose canals falls under heritage protection yadda highways something FCC stuff?

Harbor gate again would be too easy to grief a canal, which is really for the benefit of the whole community, whether it is under a deeds protection or not. This would mean that all the canals on a server could be closed of by groups of people who could then really mess with the travel times it takes to get to places. -1

Meh its already easy for griefers to dmg a canal in the same way... drop dirt and build a wall across. Done it a few times myself.

Granted im unsure if the codebase supports catapulting something built on a submerged tile.

EDIT: Personally the benefits of such a gate would far outweigh any problems.

Edited by Klaa

I think there is enough mess made from people just building docks imagine if this was put in. I can see it now huge outings in the water just so they can add this making sailing even that much more of a pain..no thanks

The idea behind the canal aspect was to prevent ships larger the canal is not made from entering, the canal would have to be 2 wide by default and have a type of tall wall to hold the gate up, because it would be hovering over the water. The gate would follow deed rules as to who it lets enter, as to canals that are undeeded the ship limits will be set by the gate makers. Gm's will ofcourse have that magic light they use to erase building if it is abused, PVP aspect it prevents any one outside of your village/alliance from gaining access to your ships. PVE it allows you an extra bit of privacy and control over your area.

Its benefits far far out way the abuse.

+1 ive always wanted such a thing some i could keep my harbour private without resorting to a cave canal and the glitches that coem with it

+1 for the port gates! If you're building a ship then someone can come along and finish it even if it's on your deed. So this is a must have for anyone who wants to build ship. Only way to do it now is to have it fenced in or build a building and bust down a wall/ fence.

+1, I've always wanted a way to keep strangers from parking their ships at my docks and abandoning them there. I still have 3 ships I can't get rid of sitting around, waiting for them to rot.

Benefits outweigh the problems it causes.

Pros

• PVE- Privacy
  • PVE- Prevent large ships (I'd prefer WARN) from going in spaces that are probably too small. (ie. Rename fence (No large boats))
  • PVE- Just some cool junk to build!
  • PVP- Prevent fast boat theft (Now you need to pick/smash the gate to get it out)
  • PVP- Looks awesome at a seaside deed with a dock. Fort Docks.
  • PVP- Easier canal control, of course you can still bash them down on public canals if its owned by a diff kingdom, but imagine the headaches of them all lining each tile boarder of the canal

Cons

• PVE- Greifers, as with 90% of things with wurm, it can be done.
  • PVE/PVP- Possible issues with odd numbered or wide canals (ie. a 3 tile wide canal, a 10 tile canal, etc)
  • PVP- Might just get spammed making canal use nearly impossible, although strategy is strategy.

Those are really the only problems I come across. Techincal issues and people being A-holes, but I would assume it takes a deal of skill and material to make (Say, 200 planks/nails to make + metal hinges, rope, metal pulleys, idk, just ideas.- Note, this is PER TILE BOARDER)

Edited by AndreC