Sign in to follow this  
Laiwyn

Acorn Harvesting

I don't know if it's been suggested before but to me it isn't logical that you can botanize and find acorns, but the source of acorns (oaks) do not have a harvesting option. You could make the harvesting of acorns seasonal like olives and grapes and such so as to not nerf botanizing acorns (people with high botanizing would still get good QL acorns at the same rate). I want to see some oak farms going here. :)

• Like 7

+1 to the OP. I would also like to see herbs and woad being farmable, like IRL. Rolf can always set the harvest amounts to be smaller than regular crops, if he wants to keep them somewhat rare. But I don't really see a good reason to keep these items rare. Only reason I've ever been told that it works the way it does now is because Rolf does not like seeing painted objects everywhere. But white, green, and red are easy to make in quantity, why not blue and black? And with the long period you have to wait before you can forage/botanize a tile again, it is only reasonable to allow us to farm these items.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 2

If I remeber correctly you can't plant an oak tree with an acorn though?

No, don't think you can, but it wouldn't matter. It would increase the amount of oak sprouts bought and sold and possibly increase their value more so creating an oak farm wouldn't be a cheap or quick endeavor. Planting oaks via acorns could be added I s'pose, but only if there's a very very small chance of the tree growing from it.

Well you can already harvest a sprout, is that what you are asking? And oak trees are already in high demand due to how long it takes for them to grow in real life, up to 6 months

This is about acorns, not need of sprouts or a new way to plant oak trees. Acorns for tannin for black dye.

+1

This is about acorns, not need of sprouts or a new way to plant oak trees. Acorns for tannin for black dye.

+1

Yeah, this is what I'm requesting.

Getting acorns for making tannin is a bit of a chore. Having it seasonable would aid my alchemy work on Chaos greatly

Ah, got it lol. Yes, an easier way to get access to acorns would be nice lol

+1!

I was thinking about this the other day and was confused why you couldn't :P

+1 Makes perfect sense and there is no reason for it to be as it is now

Plus, I mean it's not like oaks are as plentiful as say pine or birch or something so there should be no fear that all of a sudden everyone will have access to a bounty of acorns. The process of making a profitable acorn farm would require an investment (for sprouts) and a large wait period before the trees reach an age where they could be harvested. This is by no means a quick buck or easy black dye for anyone out there. If you wanted to make money off of selling high quality acorns to dye makers it would take time. This is why I think it would be perfectly fine to implement this change, of course besides from the logical viewpoint of oaks needing to produce acorns in a harvestable manner.

Edit: Not directing this post at anyone. Just adding more information to my stance on this proposed change.

Edited by Laiwyn

The process of making a profitable acorn farm would require an investment (for sprouts) and a large wait period before the trees reach an age where they could be harvested.

Not to mention a much larger area required since every tree has to be three tiles away.

I would rather like to have the grass surrounding the oaks have an increased chance of botanizing acorns.

• Like 1