Sign in to follow this  
Kuro

Farming...

This is just something that struck my mind since I had a few weeds in my fields do to Deli being down this morning, not really a problem as such, but something I think could improve on.

Anyway, my thinking is that the time window where you can harvest you crops is to narrow and needed to be expanded to 2-3 days to allow casual players more time to get crops, basicly allow them to actually farm, currently it seem tiles begin to decay just after 24 hours.

My idea is to simply extended to time it take for crops to grow by 3(2 seems to short 4 to much:)) ending up with a larger time windowed for each crop stage, including ripe stage. Crop yield will of cause have to me increased as well to match the extra time needed there by making sure over all yield is the same.

Doing this should allow people a windows of 3 days to harvest ripe crops while not having a to big impact on large scale farming once the sow/harvest circle is begun.

The objective of this idea is to allow people to be away from wurm for a few days and not be tied down to the endless harvesting circle, in essence lowering the need to click that tamagotchi monster everyday and giving casual players a little breathing room. die hard farming addicts can still farm and harvest 24/7.

+1

I have been busy with work, got on, farmed, harvested, skip a day, come back, tons of weeds. Its just a bit too fast.

The timing for harvests has already been adjusted a few times. I remember the days when you only had a 6 hour window to harvest in or the crops were gone. Perhaps a smal adjustment could be made, but not one where you would have several days to get the harvest. Remember, Wurm works at 8x normal speed, so each RL day is a Wurm week. IRL if you harvested your crops 2 or 3 weeks late you would not get much. I am also one of those that feels this game is NOT for casual players. It is not a static environment, time moves on even if you are not there. A good portion of this game is a world simulator and you have to accept the results of your own inaction. I've had times myself where I had no time to play for an extended period, and just accepted that my crops would be mostly gone when I got back.

Edited by Vroomfondel

Honestly I like this and then again I do not

I do realize why you want this, but there are also many reasons why some people would not.

Only thing I may suggest is maybe different crop seeds, some of which produce small medium or long crop cycles, having short producing slightly more crop in the same time.

IE short = 1 day, 4 yield

medium = 3 days, 8 yield

long = 1 week, 16 yield

However that will have to be done with an overhaul and atm I don't feel like the change is needed.

I believe how it is is fine, crops are pretty cheap to purchase a large amount and you don't need much to keep yourself full of meals, especially with pumpkins.

Edited by Trencal

The harvesting window is already about 48 hours long if I am not mistaken. The real problem however, is that there is usually something like 1-3 days between the first and the last crop is ripe, which means a lot of pointless waiting. Making growth time more consistent, or perhaps scale with ql of the seeds should be considered instead.

• Like 1

+1

This or get ride of the randomnes of grow time, and btw with the last nigth crash, i was harvesting wen it hit us, and now i connect only to see lots of my fields turned to only seeds.

Salu2-

Maybe for rotten weeds you at least get something back. It could be like a fraction of what the yield would be normaly

Having an expended time window is not about what speed wurm is moving at or what things a like in really life (one of my favourite arguments in a fantasy game world :)), it's purely about making the game better from the the perspective of someone who might not be able to be on everyday or have limited time. it is about improving gameplay, which should always trump what has or is, and always will trump RL. To be honest i dont see how a change like this would harm wurm in anyway, or even make it more static.

I think our ideas of what the sandbox called wurm is, is a bit different. For you it's a world sim/survival game? for me it about building stuff. different viewpoints same game.

interesting touch having crops with different cycle time :)

But even thou it is working, change is not to be feared if it improves on things, for with out change wurm will be static

your point being?

The harvesting window is already about 48 hours long if I am not mistaken. The real problem however, is that there is usually something like 1-3 days between the first and the last crop is ripe, which means a lot of pointless waiting. Making growth time more consistent, or perhaps scale with ql of the seeds should be considered instead.

I think your right in crops generally last about 48 hours, I harvest mine at the same time each day, so given the delay to day i would say decay has a chance of happening after 32 hours.

The harvesting window is already about 48 hours long if I am not mistaken.

It used to be like this, but I have noticed crops recently going from almost ripe to weeds within 24-36 hours.

I would say a window of at 48-72 hours would be fair, especially given the randomness of the growth time (which I don't mind because it eases the pain of harvesting/resowing all tiles at once)

It depends on the crops. Some things, like garlic, turn to weeds very quickly.

I've question why crops need to turn to weeds for along time with the focus on how it makes the game more enjoyable. The only reason I can come up with is to mimic realism. If I had my way they wouldn't turn to weeds ever.

Other related ideas

1. An optional benefit for deeded tiles we buy that stops crops from turning into weeds

2. religious totems we build in the fields and Fo enchants them. We could use altar influence but I'd rather see totems that affect some radius around itself.

3. When you rake a ripe field it sets the growth stage back to the very beginning of the its first ripe stage. Perhaps this could be a FO enchant you put on a rake.

4. Different genetic traits for seeds, and a seed variety that has a very long ripe cycle.

This is great. +1

Also of note I have a very neglected RL group of potatoe plants that I basically forgot about for a year. Seems they grew, produced the potatoes, died due to the summer heat. Grew again from the potatoes in the early fall, and now are dying again as it cools down again. I bet $$$ that they will grow again in the spring.

`````> TLDR: Perhaps instead of going to weeds, it could go back to seed.

Edited by Elen

The objective of this idea is to allow people to be away from wurm for a few days and not be tied down to the endless harvesting circle...

Might make this a different thread, but I +1 the idea of getting back at least 1 seed. The general life of plants is to grow, mature, seed then die, or die then seed depending on which plant it is. Either way you should always be able to get a seed.