Sign in to follow this  
Meridius

Plate Barding

may as well just ride a desposable cow with as slow as a horse in plate would go o.0

Then make light plate armor that could have a higher skill to create, and high amount of materials, like a lot of steel used to create it?

A lot of people have misconceptions about plate..

Its really not as heavy as you think. Its like adding 60 pounds to your horse, which.. It can carry, thats like having a few packs on its side. Its not as bad as you all think, its more more agile and mobile then people seem to believe.

Then make light plate armor that could have a higher skill to create, and high amount of materials, like a lot of steel used to create it?

Light+plate=paper armour

800px-Horse_suit_of_armor_DSC02190.JPG

450px-Dresden-Zwinger-Armoury-Armor.02.JPG

Totally legitimate request. However, the arbitrary speed penalties for horse armour need to die before anyone will use it. Right now I can make good chain barding but will never use it because it _decreases_ my horse's survivability rather than the opposite.

Have it add to weight and therefore, to a lesser extent, to speed, but well designed barding does NOT slow a horse down to a human's jogging pace.

• Like 4

Properly designed barding and even human plate armor, is not as heavy as people think. For the horse, its like adding a few full packs on its side which it can STILL carry. For a human, its like carrying a large backpack.. Which they did use to do quite often back then, and they were trained to be able to have that armor on them for years upon years.. And they are agile, they could do backflips and get back on horses, etc with it.

I haven't even considered using barding since I saw the 5 km/h reduction wearing leather barding. If my horse gets targeted I'd rather have the speed than the protection.

P.S. Barding isn't in the spell checking dictionary, haha.

Why limit to plate? Toss in dragon hide or scale barding... creates even more avenues for using up the raw materials, especially if alot is required.