Sign in to follow this  
FanofFish

Is It Worth It?

I haven't played Wurm since somewhere around 2010, can't quite remember.

I stopped playing on the wild server, I Originally played on Mol Rehan home server, when I heard the server was going to die I set out to build a Cog with a friend, I attatched just about every single peg with a 2% chance and it took like 2 months.

When I got to Wild I instantly got really bored because I had no goal, the cog used to keep me busy. I've never joined a city, i've always made my own place with friends, but i've never really found it fun to farm skills. Pretty soon I got bored after a bit of construction because it was slow, clunky, and the skills took forever to go up.

I've got a group of friends, and i'd really like to play this kind of game with them all, but I remember how it ended, so what I want to know is know is, has anything changed between then and now that will make me enjoy it more?

1. Are there any more interesting things to build? I built a house and I pretty much reached the end of building things apart from tons of terraforming.

2. Is it any more fun/easier to get skills?

3. If I play with 2-3 friends, how would it compare to joining an existing civilization?

4. I heard they came out with a new server to replace Wild, how does that compare to Freedom? I like a challenge to keep me motivated, like the threat of raiders, but I also don't like the idea of all my hard work being ruined by a group of people who have more disposable time to grind than me.

5. If I do choose Epic, is it even possible to build and defend against more farmed veterans?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I haven't played Wurm since somewhere around 2010, can't quite remember.

I stopped playing on the wild server, I Originally played on Mol Rehan home server, when I heard the server was going to die I set out to build a Cog with a friend, I attatched just about every single peg with a 2% chance and it took like 2 months.

When I got to Wild I instantly got really bored because I had no goal, the cog used to keep me busy. I've never joined a city, i've always made my own place with friends, but i've never really found it fun to farm skills. Pretty soon I got bored after a bit of construction because it was slow, clunky, and the skills took forever to go up.

I've got a group of friends, and i'd really like to play this kind of game with them all, but I remember how it ended, so what I want to know is know is, has anything changed between then and now that will make me enjoy it more?

1. Are there any more interesting things to build? I built a house and I pretty much reached the end of building things apart from tons of terraforming.

3. If I play with 2-3 friends, how would it compare to joining an existing civilization?

4. I heard they came out with a new server to replace Wild, how does that compare to Freedom? I like a challenge to keep me motivated, like the threat of raiders, but I also don't like the idea of all my hard work being ruined by a group of people who have more disposable time to grind than me.

5. If I do choose Epic, is it even possible to build and defend against more farmed veterans?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Edited by puncher
  • Like 1

^

I'm guessing you live on freedom? How do you like it? what do you do to keep interested? Do you live with anyone?

Wurm is all about grinding your skills to be honest. Right now once you build your house and what you wanted it still the same thing: grinding your skills. Of course you could go build more things or help the community but it all comes down to your skills. Ive never understood people loving to "explore" in wurm because honestly theres nothing worth exploring out there. Maybe if you are new you will find it interesting but later on it becomes the same thing... Living alone can be fun and challenging at first especially if you have no fight skills and live on a server like exodus or chaos but again once you build up your things make food, the survival element pretty much goes away... As for the difference between freedom and epic. Well epic is really PvP focused. While it has increased skillgain so your skills go faster and a curve which means you will be able to create much higher QL items i dont think its a good idea to go there if you dont want to PvP because sooner or later your place will get raided, very strong creatures can spawn that go trough walls and are pretty much impossible to kill without a good group. Epic was made for people to catch up to the "veterans" and i still think its possible to do so, but dont expect to do it in a few months. As for freedom you could come to chaos which is a light pvp server. You can kill anyone and anyone can kill you but they cant really raid your deed or destroy your stuff. Also it doesnt have many people but its still more than on an epic server anyway... Oh and the rest of the freedom servers have no pvp or raiding. Wurm is still about how much time you are willing to spend grinding your skills.

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

Well I love my Freedom I admit it . I am on Deliverance at Pocatello deed and part of the Puzzle Plaza alliance with Zalifear as the leader.

Constant non stop projects from zoos to deserts to colossus to all kinds of stuff and with a good amount of people to chat to.

I like to set goals and if mine grow a little stale I go help somebody else out to take the focus off of me.

The most fun thing is wurm is to have the option I feel to help people out and just relax chill and have fun..

I have been playing on and off for 4 years. I can leave wurm go play something else and come back I have not lost a thing ( well almost i left for 9 months and my cog sank **shakes fist DOGGONE SEA TURTLES))***

Anywho its fun for me and I try to keep it fun for people around me :)

I'm really interested in Epic, but i'm just afraid there wont be enough things to build to keep me interested, on top of the fact that I have no clue how to train Fight Skill well.

Just chipping in to say Wurm is not at all about grinding for me and I've managed to stay addicted for 2-3 years. In fact grinding seems pretty much a waste of time to me, unless you enjoy that (uh....). Ask yourself what the end goal of your grinding is - so you can get / make top gear and earn money to.... play the game? Which you should just have been doing all along instead of grinding? Seems legit. Just find what's fun for you and do that. Skill gain will come as you play.

Just one example, I've never ever grinded Blacksmithing yet I have 84 now. How? Making and keeping 2 full sets of metal tools for me and my alt, maintaining them at top QL. Oh and maybe a hundred lamps all told for around my deed and mine. Some people will tell you make 2.14 billion needles to get good Blacksmithing. ROFL. That's a total waste of time and iron. Even though a needle takes infinitesimal amounts of metal to create and imp, what are you going to do with them?

#1 rule: If you aren't having fun you're doing it wrong.

• Like 3

Still, the game won't allow you to do "anything" you would like to unless you actually do grind your skills up.

For example you need skill above 20 in order to make some items , Strenght over 21 in order to destroy things and so on.

Depending on the time an player has avaibable for playing wurm it could take him days or even weeks to just do a few pretty simple things.

In essence, Wurm is not a game for everyone, it's a niche game and I've not seen any sign that it's going to change anytime soon.

Sure some servers are faster, but they are also full pvp (I believe) , I personally really think Rolf should try out a Single premium server where all players could build anything they would want to with no restrictions on skill (it would just take longer).

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Teutates, October 29, 2012 - OT, trolling, staff bashing
Hidden by Teutates, October 29, 2012 - OT, trolling, staff bashing

I thought it was, but now I'm starting to wonder. The extent to which this small game drives off paying customers (who are having fun) is shameful. I played, got fed up, waited a year, came back, liked it, and now am basically being told that I'm not welcome by the staff. Sad to have to go to my friends and say 'Sorry, don't play that game I said was awesome, the people who run it will ruin the experience'.

Your concerns about training fightskill are quite valid. Here is a thread that some veteran PvPers put together with some of their tips; http://forum.wurmonl...et-in-the-game/

Thanks, I always managed to get around 20 on a Practice Doll, but I just couldn't hunt exclusivly Wolves because I'd always get ganked by a spider or something.

Edited by KaiH
moderation edit

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Teutates, October 29, 2012 - quoted staff bashing
Hidden by Teutates, October 29, 2012 - quoted staff bashing

I thought it was, but now I'm starting to wonder. The extent to which this small game drives off paying customers (who are having fun) is shameful. I played, got fed up, waited a year, came back, liked it, and now am basically being told that I'm not welcome by the staff. Sad to have to go to my friends and say 'Sorry, don't play that game I said was awesome, the people who run it will ruin the experience'.

I'm living on epic, fairly new. I'm on the central pvp server living solo with no deed. I've never had more fun being self dependent. The skills go faster and I don't spend time grinding, I just play - hunt, explore, patrol and flee.

I feel safer here than on freedom, and there's the excitement of fleeing for your life.

I'd give epic a go.

honestly you can if you grind well enough. ive seen very well experienced players die to people with lower skills. it depends how you fight i unarm brawled minimad and i had 35fs while he had atleast 70 and higher body stats. and by using tactics and height bonus/ flanking i managed to go even with him even winning at points(till he put armor and a weapon on unlike we agreed and killed me)