Sign in to follow this  
saytheb

Improved Cave Lighting

Hi All!

A quick teaser of the improved lighting for caves Budda and myself are working away at. There is still plenty of room for improvement, but I think these images really highlight the important changes being done. Lots of thanks to Budda for putting up with me bugging him while he was at work to toss around ideas, and for getting all the code in while I slept :)

Current cave is on top, new cave lights are on the bottom. All lamps in view are lit.

Current:

vUpz0h.jpg

New!

rYeOth.jpg

Current:

5u8jYh.jpg

New!

03lxzh.jpg

• Like 25

yes! worth it indeed!

All this at 175 fps.

Where can i haz THAT?

ehehe

yes! worth it indeed!

All this at 175 fps.

Where can i haz THAT?

ehehe

Setup an SLI.. lol :(

Also the flickering of rares in caves is fixed thanks to this bug-hunt-a-thon.

• Like 6

Yaaaaay :D

I presume this means the weird bits in the cave where I walk past a lamp and it suddenly stops looking like there's a light source around is fixed... Goody :D

outdoing yourselves, guys. Glad to see this!

All the new features are great, but what is most important to the continuance and improvement of wurm is bugfixing.

Glad to see all this :D

/me bows down to the developer deities of Wurm, and sacrifices a Rare 80QL graphics card for their favor.

Those look wonderful... nice work. A quick question if I may......

I have seen lights in mines get very dim with no range if there are street lamps above on the surface, such as in a mine tunnel with lamps that goes under a road or highway with lite lamps. :huh:

Any chance the improvement has tackled this issue? Thank you for your time and trouble. :) Cheers! Hugh

Good job! I might just start living in a cave once again. In honesty, I'm usually disappointed with what you guys work on but this is very cool!

On a somewhat related subject. I wish lamp posts illuminated more tiles (50ql brass is marginally acceptable but a 75 ql iron is not). Wurm light sources remind me of Christmas lights. The bulb is bright but they don't actually illuminate an area. This isn't the most realistic, but I'd rather see lights illuminate a ql based radius size of tiles equally instead of one really bright center tile with gradually decreasing radius increments.

• Like 1

This isn't the most realistic, but I'd rather see lights illuminate a ql based radius size of tiles equally instead of one really bright center tile with gradually decreasing radius increments.

Hmm...

• Like 1

This is so needed! Really cool that it's being fixed after all these years.

• Like 4

Unfortunately it's not even available on test yet as it needs more improvement and we are making sure to optimize for everyone, not just those with high end systems. That being said, the wait will definitely be worth it!

I see the light!!!

...at the end of the tunnel?

Okay thats enough quips on lighting... a ray of sense has shined down upon me.

Edited by Klaa

Oh man, can we PLEASE turn off the lights in the caves now? Pitch black, to add full functionality to lamps in their fixed state? :D

Oh man, can we PLEASE turn off the lights in the caves now? Pitch black, to add full functionality to lamps in their fixed state? :D

I've been working with Budda on trying to emulate real caves, or not. We've been going back and forth on this point.. maybe we can add it as an option of some sort..