Sign in to follow this  
Keldun

All About Traders

Since it does go into details on how to place, use, and maintain the trader, maybe it needs to be moved over to the Guides list now?

• Like 2

I'm glad this thread was posted. It gives newer people the chance to have a go at having a trader. If there is less money been made by older players at this time, as stated that will change back when people get bored of using them.

There are so many ways for veteran players to make money. Opening door to newer player that can't compete with higher QL sales is a good thing. But in the end they too have to put in the time to get their traders going and most of the time new people just get eaten up by wurm.

I haven't decided if I want a trader yet but if people are willing to persist with them to get results, power to them and this post gives them the chance :)

Question on getting a trader to work to pay my upkeep.

Can I put a trader if a far away place and allow a person into the writ of the trader building to work him.

Would there be a reason for that player to work that trader?

Would it pay some of the upkeep on my deed?

If I put a trader in a public place that is active

would players work that trader and would it pay some of the upkeep on my deed?

Is there any way for me to make a trader work to help pay my deed upkeep without me doing any trades with the trader?

Edited by Gramuly

If the trader is a deed citizen, you can set a "tax" that is taken from each trade which goes to the deed's upkeep. I don't know the details on it though, maybe one of the Trader owners can go into more detail?

If you have set taxes, part of the cost of the item you buy or sell to the trader is put to the deed upkeep. So yes, you need to buy/sell items with the trader.

Question on getting a trader to work to pay my upkeep.

Can I put a trader if a far away place and allow a person into the writ of the trader building to work him.

Would there be a reason for that player to work that trader?

Would it pay some of the upkeep on my deed?

If I put a trader in a public place that is active

would players work that trader and would it pay some of the upkeep on my deed?

Is there any way for me to make a trader work to help pay my deed upkeep without me doing any trades with the trader?

This question is not so much about how traders work and if they pay deed upkeeps its more about...

Can I invest in a trader and place him someplace and have anyhopes that without my help players will work him so that my deed can collect taxes?

Edited by Gramuly

Let me try it this way..

If the (Trader) is listed as a deed's citizen, the "Tax" (if turned on) is applied to all transactions with that trader (you or anyone else buying/selling).

What I'm not sure on is: Can a Trader be placed off your current deed and still be listed as that deed's citizen?

Let me try it this way..

If the (Trader) is listed as a deed's citizen, the "Tax" (if turned on) is applied to all transactions with that trader (you or anyone else buying/selling).

What I'm not sure on is: Can a Trader be placed off your current deed and still be listed as that deed's citizen?

It can and it does stay part of the deed.

I am asking will it work to have others do the trades for me even random players or will it just be abused and have no return for the deed because the random players wont work the trader properly because part of that transaction in not in the intrest of the random player

Edited by Gramuly

I do not believe the trader charges taxes to citizens of his own citizenship

Yes, the trader will always belong to the same settlement as the char who set him up, no mater where he is set up. The trader will stay in that place until his settlement disbands.

The trader will not ask tax of his fellow citizens, not sure about allies but all others will pay the set tax. this tax is send into deed upkeep.

A public trader may not work optimal, but you will surely get some return from it. When someone drains money you get the tax and even when they forget or don't care to check the ratio that trader will still get some income from selling deed and merchant forms.

If i place a trader on elevation will it pay taxes to my deed on serenity?

I do not believe the trader charges taxes to citizens of his own citizenship

I believe you are wrong.

I do not think so, it is same as with players your village is local to the server you are on.

• Like 1

No, it pays taxes to the deed it is a citizen of. If you plant a trader outside a deed I have no idea what happens with taxes.

No, it pays taxes to the deed it is a citizen of. If you plant a trader outside a deed I have no idea what happens with taxes.

Traders placed belong to the village of the person planting it no matter if its planted on another deed or none. I expect the tax still goes to the village.

The tax you set is a tax on the trader's profits. Say they buy a source crystal for 20 silver from a player, then they sell it to someone else for 26 silver (made up numbers). If you set the tax to the maximum of 40%, then your upkeep will receive (26 - 20) x .4 = 2.4 silver. The other 3.6 silver remains on the trader for the person to drain off by selling it something else.

Gramuly: there is the possibility of someone screwing you over by setting the ratio at the beginning of the month, and draining it all at the end of the month, right before the ratio resets. Then they would only need to buy one small thing to set the ratio for the next month, so the trader would barely make any taxable profits whatsoever. You would be better off managing the trader yourself, or at least getting someone you trust to manage it.

• Like 1

This should be a sticky, perhaps under New Arrivals

I don't get taxed when doing transaction with a trader that is a citizen of the deed I'm the mayor of. Taxes paid are expressed in iron coins just like earned and spent categories  Here's an example where I wasn't taxed.

Using 5 of 40.18 ql paw

sold to trader, (drained coins). [18:47:46] The trade was successful. I drained 3 copper and 8 iron. 

bought paws back, (trader income)[18:47:57] Trader_Jill demands 4 copper and 32 iron coins to make the trade.

Here's the get info after the transaction.

[18:49:14] Economic breakdown this period: Earned=125432, spent=134149 Ratio=0.93502

[18:49:14] Taxes paid=0, rate=0.4

Guess you haven't spent enough to accumulate visible taxes?

This is on my trader:

[03:19:52] Taxes paid=18750, rate=0.15

Edited by ReaverKane

@ Reaver,  every time I read one of your posts I ask myself if you actually read what other people write. Again, taxes paid are expressed in iron coins so given my example I'd expect to see something there. This trader was placed, "03/28/12 [06:41:13] Trader_Jill has arrived.[06:41:13] Trader_Jill is now a citizen of Yoelm!". I have done a lot of draining and ratio management on it over the past approximate year. My taxes payed category has always been 0.

By the way your taxes paid line doesn't prove or supply any helpful information. If you actually intend to be helpful try a complete experiment which includes buying and selling some items.

wonder if it is a case of citizen vs. noncitizen status for the trader?

doesn't matter if trader is citizen or not. If deed disbands trader citizen is deleted. Also i am not recommending to use trader taxes if you are using it alone

I don't get taxed when doing transaction with a trader that is a citizen of the deed I'm the mayor of. Taxes paid are expressed in iron coins just like earned and spent categories  Here's an example where I wasn't taxed.

When you placed the trader did you specify any tax rate? I think the default is 0%