Sign in to follow this  
Mormo

Make Chairs/armchairs And Other Furnishings More Useful

Another way of wasting our game time...

I`ve always dreamed about real garden party in wurm. If chairs could give us a SB for instance, but slower than normal sleeping, maybe it would lead us to spend more time together. Well, of course i know that we have a multiple chats and many other ways of communicate. But imagine, after hunting or another tiring activity, you sit in a chair and have possibility to talk or contemplate the nature or to do whatever you want. Again, it doesn`t look very useful but makes this game more playable for me.

Edited by Mormo
  • Like 1

If it was a significantly slower rate of gain, I'd have no problem with that. If I wasn't so keen on digging, I would probably spend my time at the moment just stood still, staring gormlessly into space (talking in chat).

If someone uses the argument "but people will just sit afk and gain sb" I will slap them, because if people are going to do that then they will just log off in a bed and get faster gains.

Not sure about gaining sleep bonus.

Perhaps if they slowly converted fatigue to sleep bonus in a way similar to (but less effective than) Wisdom of Vynora? So you would get a reward from using the chair after a hard day's work?

Perhaps your standard "idling" rate of food and water depletion could be reduced while sitting?

I'd like to see chairs and tables worked into a revamped food system. Tables should be containers that only let you place food and dining items. They should let you increase the nutritional value of food through combination1. If you could add meal, fruit, beverage, bread, dessert to a table (up to 5 types depending on quality of the table), then you could sit at the table and eat in a civilized manner, and get more nutrition from the feast than you would from any single item served. Rather than eating each item separately, you'd activate a fork or spoon, right click the table, and select "Feast".

Inns and feast halls would suddenly have an important role, and eating together would become an important part of the game. Perhaps priests could give a prayer / sermon sort of thing at a prepared banquet table so that people in attendance could get alignment bonuses as well.

High HFC players would still benefit from the convenience being able to get massive nutrition from a packed lunch bucket, so their skill wouldn't lose value any more than it has from rare sacrifices.

1. Note I did not say "addition". I imagine some kind of polynomial combination could be devised by the devs to ensure that you still needed good cooks to get the maximum benefit.

• Like 8

How about if they did not do anything for SB but had a sit in the character animation / pose.

It could be considered a first step.

Yeah, would be nice too. I still remember a birthday party organized by one of my friends on old GV. We had some wine, and various dishes. That was really nice time spent together on just talking. Only problem that we were standing in a circle.

As I agree with Garis, I have another use that may be provided in Wurm: writing on a table (and other potential flat surfaces) should give a significant boost in writing/drawing quality and a smaller skill gain on the item being written on.

Should be as simple as: Open Table Container -> Drop Paper, Activate Pen/Writing Tool in your inventory-> Right Click Paper in the Table Container -> Write; The quality/skill boosts should be based on the QL of the table. May make a formation of a library a possibility!

Thinking more about a library: Add "Bookshelves", and only allow books written by players to be dropped in :D. Bookshelves's QL should define the max volume of books. Also, for aesthetics, the bookshelf should have 5 main models = empty, 1/4 full, 2/4 full, 3/4 full, and 4/4 full; with 4 rows per bookshelf, from a top-left to bottom-right ordering. I can produce and provide the 3D models (if there is any interest), I simply need to know an acceptable export type (3D file format). I think the QL-Book Volume ratio should be: minimum book volume of 10, so 0-10QL = 10 books; and a book volume increment of 1 book per row per 10 QL. So a 50 QL Bookshelf should allow 26 books total. Should be made from 10 planks, 1 large nails (for the frame), and 1 small nails (for the rows).

• Like 2

A sitting animation would be cool and to be able to place things on top of table and move them around on top of the table, tables are so boring just sitting there empty day after day, if you could open it and put a pottery jar or a pottery jar plus flowers on it then move it around, add some plates and forks/knives it would make a house look so much more like a house

Going along with u air, maby even having a way to " set table for 1 - 4 people and have a 5% gain per person eating at a table with plate and silverware. Give a whole new thing for town cooks to do, and bring viligers in a place to " hang out" or "have a party" ( without the dance mix) and set table with cake or whatnot. But i would like to see atleast a chair more than a "object" in the way

Wasn't there a game where you and another of the opposite sex could enter a room for, er, recreation. Seems there was. Maybe a sci fi mmo. Maybe it was just a lack of sleep. :wacko:

+1 to making the items like chairs and tables more useful.

I hate that I can make a forks, knifes, spoons and bowls but need to drop it on the ground to see it. If we are civilized enough to build houses, we might as well have some more functionality for furnishings within even if it simply for aesthetic purposes.

Not sure this fits in this topic but a full size bed might be nice to have the twin sized ones are not going to be fitting for a king of a castle to use.

+1 I agree with Garis and also Aenigmaticus' idea sounds reasonable. Since the models are already there it would be great if we can perform writing and eating by interacting with them and get some small bonuses. Won't be a game breaking bonus but something to give us a reason to actually furnish our homes.