Sign in to follow this  
Aelfred

Please Give Us Back The Infinite Name-Tags

Infinite Producer tags on items   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have the infinite name tags on playerproduced items (tools/containers/ships a.s.o.) back ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you support the idea, that only a certain QL of a item can wear a crafter tag (f.e. from QL 30 or 50 on) ?

• Yes
    • No

Sorry if there are more polls or suggestions of this topic.

The idea of automatically fading producer name-tags is worse in my opinion i really don't appreciate it, because:

1. A crafted item is a achievement, and the crafter deserves to be mentioned on this item, especially when it's a very good one, or one that was built with much materials/effort.

2. It's history of people long gone. With never fading name tags you stumble over items of players you had 6 years ago a good time with (or you happy they gone), in every case you happy to hear again from them and you start thinking back. Eternal tags so give us more community-depth.

3. If a player is a real good crafter, he sells much good stuff, many people buy it, the items with his name tag are in use, appear often, this means for this crafter: advertisement and honor also, rewards and motivation for his good work. It's only fair.

I'm just a average crafter myself, so often i need imps/mends from the good crafters, just mentioning.

To be honest, until this day i don't understand it fully, why the infinite tags had to go. Did to much people complain, because they cannot stand names of other people on their tools ?

(when i buy my Porsche i will rename it to Aelfred. Other then pose with their cars: " hey i own a maserati. " I just say then "XXXX off with your XXXXX, i drive an Aelfred.")

Yeah.

Or were they envious, because they had to buy items instead of being able to craft them on their own ?

Anyway, i think there was not a good and useful thinking behind this. I don't want to blame the devs, maybe they just wanted to do their customers a favour.

But it was much more of a damage in my eyes, we lost something.

So what you guys and gurls think, do we want the infinite tags back or no ?

Edited by Aelfred

It was because of a stupid bug. And really I do agree, it was a shame.

It was because of a stupid bug. And really I do agree, it was a shame.

I understand. Now the question is: did the devs just choose the easier way or is it impossible to bring the infinite name-tags back, but without this bug ?

The tags work just the way they did before, it's just that all old ones were erased on independence because of database corruption on a defective or full hard disk (not sure what it was exactly)

We are lucky that only the tags were erased it could have been the entire independence server.

Edited by Keldun
  • Like 1

The tags work just the way they did before, it's just that all old ones were erased on independence because of database corruption on a defective or full hard disk (not sure what it was exactly)

We are lucky that only the tags were erased it could have been the entire independence server.

...Again :wacko:

Think this suggestion is kinda null and void.

Some sort of error messed up the Indy server and tags when poof. It is a shame it happened but it did. Tags of notable people are gone but to my knowledge they can't be brought back.

This is a null suggestion. As has been pointed out, there was a big bug that erased all the tags, it is not a function now that the name tag disappears over time. Some people seem to think that it is, but that is because some old items from before the bug and lower than 20 ql try to have a name put on them, but they are too low ql to take a name. So everyone that picks up that item and examines it sees it say their name is being put on it, but it comes out as just periods. Once imped over 20 ql they will take a name and keep it. Also, to get the tag back on you have to have the item in your inventory when you examine it. I'm still finding some items around I have not reexamined properly to get a tag back on it.

I had no clue that it was changed. I had noticed however an item my friend had, when I examined it it said I had decided to keep history alive by putting my name into to it, which I thought was stupid. I live on Exo. They should really get it back +1

The error effected the name tags on Chaos as well, was a real shame, I had a lot of really nice loot, though it is nice to have all my good swords in my name now :P

Edited by Battlepaw

I understand. Now the question is: did the devs just choose the easier way or is it impossible to bring the infinite name-tags back, but without this bug ?

Rolf choose a fast recovery of the server over a nice-to-have feature. Nothing wrong with that.

Better 1 or few days longer to recover then to miss such an important feature, reasons above. It's not only nice to have, It's one of the cornerstones of wurm crafting.

Agreed, having names on the items helps to tell people who made the fantastic items if that person is a merchant

Better 1 or few days longer to recover then to miss such an important feature, reasons above. It's not only nice to have, It's one of the cornerstones of wurm crafting.

Games cannot have downtime if they can help it. It gives the game a bad rep. I also do not know the full nature of the problem but it could very well have been unfixable. Like I said this is a questionable suggestion as it is has already happened and done with.

As already mentioned, the missing signature was due to database corruption on the Independence and possibly the chaos server too. Rolf attempted to recover the signatures but couldn't, so implemented a temporary solution to correct it.

• Like 1