Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

We have rules regarding how to handle highways. Is there a possibility to apply similar rules to canals as well?

Because cattles can't swim, and boats can't go across a canal above a certain water level but they still can be pulled/pushed, seems the conflict with carts and boats not solved with the changes.

I led cattles to Esert from and can't pass at a canal with the cows because the depth of water stopped them. There was no way to fix it because the canal has been deeded, the owner away for some weeks and no digging allowed even for their citizens to fix it. Please don't take this offensive, I know how good is to sail, I am building and use boats too, but I think the blocking of animal transport inside server may be against other people's fun too and has negative effect on game economy.

I would like to suggest to add a rule for canals: if they are deeded, that they must have at least one tile width way where people can go across with cattles, but deep enough on other places to go with small sailing boats or knarrs at least. This has some similarity with the goal of the highway rules: deeds cannot block the traffic on important areas.

Is there any possibility to do this?

Of courese this problem may be solved easier if cattles can be packed to boat or can swim.

Regards,

Heroic

I don't understand why they don't just fix it so all boats and carts/animals can cross the same depth of water. I guess they are going to be adding bridges in at some point but who knows how long that will be so why not just fix it until then?

Edited by Kegan

This isnt needed. IF a deed has a canal on it, like two of mine do, you will just have to accept the fact that person that paid for those tiles gets to keep the depth setting they want on that canal. Cows have always been known as non swimmers, so if you want cows on your island, try to buy some from someone there or createa ford to the island and dredge away when your done. I have seen both done on an island I live on.

@Kegan

If boats could pass the same depth, then anything bigger then a corb would be worthless

I don't think so people like different looks i myself prefer the look of the corb but have a knarr for its low water depth. I also like the look of the caravel but just don't use a large boat enough to merit the cost just to have one. I think that the speed of the ship should play more of a role in things rather then the depth of water it can pass.

Edit: As for the rules suggested in the OP no i don't think there should be any new rules added they need to fix the cause of the issue not make up more rules..IMO

Edited by Kegan

Even though the OP is very polite, logical and well laid out.... -1.

On the mainland you can at least use an alternative - although longer - route to get to your destination.

@Kegan

If boats could pass the same depth, then anything bigger then a corb would be worthless

there is no limit to the amount of objects you can put on one tile, so why build a house bigger than 1 tile?

This isnt needed. IF a deed has a canal on it, like two of mine do, you will just have to accept the fact that person that paid for those tiles gets to keep the depth setting they want on that canal. Cows have always been known as non swimmers, so if you want cows on your island, try to buy some from someone there or createa ford to the island and dredge away when your done. I have seen both done on an island I live on.

I see the point in your opinion too (have some deeds) - but paying for tiles doesn't mean that we can do anything we want with them - see the highway rules for example.

Althought, blocking the traffic is not a rule issue currently but the disregard of common needs - it cause hours of unnecessary work to other players, which could be solved by a simple dig action (or at least enable this action to the people who stay there). Maybe your opinion would change being in the same situation.

Its just a suggestion. Hope all will solved when bridges available.

Even though the OP is very polite, logical and well laid out.... -1.

On the mainland you can at least use an alternative - although longer - route to get to your destination.

Well this is what exactly I did. Made me +3 hours of travel on a longer route, - I don't complain about it - but if there were a canal in the way with the same conditions I couldn't go to the destination.

there is no limit to the amount of objects you can put on one tile, so why build a house bigger than 1 tile?

I would like to suggest to add a rule for canals: if they are deeded, that they must have at least one tile width way where people can go across with cattles, but deep enough on other places to go with small sailing boats or knarrs at least. This has some similarity with the goal of the highway rules: deeds cannot block the traffic on important areas.

There is a depth where cattle and rowing boats can pass. But bigger ships would not and they would have to be dragged. On deeded tiles only the owner can drag the ships which causes problems if you travel with a big boat that belongs to a friend or an alt.

In my opinion most of the cattle is rather useless anyway. Only horses have a value that justifies dragging them across half the map and they are not blocked by a deep canal. I'd give right of way to ships over cows any time.

Anyway, it's time we finally get bridges.

If you are sailing a large ship it's usually because you need it to carry a lot of something. That means it can't be dragged.

• Like 1