Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

[Competition Closed!] Thanks For Taking Part!

Can we have a cool contest that doesn't involve lame "social" sites? Some of us have no desire to make accounts for them.

....No Facebook Gary? Tsk Tsk

Hey now Wurm is not 2nd Life so theres nothing to be ashamed of :P

Can we have a cool contest that doesn't involve lame "social" sites? Some of us have no desire to make accounts for them.

I would rather not use social media - I don't like being used for data collection. I would rather not be excluded from parts of the game I do elect to play because I don't use social media (for example this competition.( Please can we use the blog and the website for comprehensive announcements and news?

And please can we enjoy Wurm without having to do other things involving totally other organisations !!

• Like 1

I like both you can give me more information

But true , people I show this game to think I must be daft.

The whole point is to spread the word to as many ppl as is possible to what a fantastic game Wurm realy is (no better way than social network sites). I tell all my gaming friends in hope that thay will come and join us. Good luck to 1,000 likes Wurm.

• Like 2

I have accounts but I almost never use them unless I need to keep track of out-of-town family. I hope Wurm does not get too enthralled with this "social media" thing and certainly does not intend to use it as the main communication device.

I'd love to see a poll taken of what percent pf players would "Like" to have Facebook & Twitter become the major avenues of communication for the game.

I'm proud of Wurm and would love to spread the word to friends but seriously -- I don't take much on Twitter/Facebook very seriously. For me its primarily a place for advertising gimmicks trying to look "hip and cool". And I tend to be a little leery of projects that try too hard to jump the social media bandwagon. Trying too hard to be "with-it" rarely makes you look very "with-it". Ask any parents with teenagers.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

I do think they're good advertising - agree with that, and I don't mind other people using them at all - go for it !

My worry is I dont think they should be a prerequisite for keeping up with Wurm news, and I'm a bit unhappy with being encouraged to use them via competitions when I don't like how they use personal data just at the moment. It's perfectly possible to use both Wurm and social media (and indeed to tell everyone how great Wurm is via Twitter etc) - without officially linking them up. It wouldn't be great if you have to join an external company to find out what developments are going on in the game I don't think.

i personally dont like this spam by corporations who use social networks as free advertising.

dislike!

*thinks what I could do with cool silver tools and my 94 Blacksmithing skill*

NOTE: The old competition was one of our facebook followers but it was pointed out that we can not do this, so instead the winner will be selected from someone who has liked this forum post, once we hit 1,000 facebook 'likes'. Remember: You will only win if the Facebook page is liked or our twitter account followed, so no sneaky business!

The reason probably is that bribing people with a reward to inflate a facebook count is something even Facebook doesn't want to be seen as encouraging.

Ugh whys everything gotta be so difficult and contentious. Just like the damn Facebook and twitter pages and move on with your lives people.

• Like 4

Ugh whys everything gotta be so difficult and contentious. Just like the damn Facebook and twitter pages and move on with your lives people.

thats how the nazis got into power

Godwin's Law rears its ugly head once again!

The problem with online privacy is that people believe it exists. Live your lives notoriously!

The reason probably is that bribing people with a reward to inflate a facebook count is something even Facebook doesn't want to be seen as encouraging.

No. It's not "inflation" for the sake of it. It is a publicity drive for that part of Wurm, to spread awareness and reward people for taking part. The facebook page is going to be used for updates like twitter and the blog, the forum and more. It's an arm of communication I am extremely interested in expanding and this is the way we have chosen.

While I agree that facebook and twitter should not be the main route to introduce sneak-peaks to the game, I see no reason to avoid increasing the "like" count of a game I enjoy. If the difference between 500 and 1000 likes is that someone who does a google search on the game is 0.1% more likely to consider playing it, then more power to Wossoo and the PR team.

Of course, I use an alternate facebook account for liking this. Regardless of how much I enjoy Wurm, there's always a stigma attached to online gaming and it's one I will avoid where possible. I'm not so attached to my privacy that I won't risk some fake details at the expense of my favourite game though :)

• Like 1

I think its good to see Wurm use facebook and twitter more. Tons of people use them and it will help get the game more popular.

Just make sure the main site/forums gets the news that you put on facebook/twitter aswell.

• Like 1

boo to those people who are ashamed to like wurm on facebook because of other peoples opinions. im a proud wurmian and dont give two hoots who knows it. go wurm! ps, liked on here and fb ;)

• Like 3

question : do these rare items get given on both server clusters to the winner?

Ugh here we go...

Did I tell anyone they should NOT do the "like on facebook and twitter" thing? No I did not. I said I wouldn't do it.

If a person wants to do facebook and twitter fine. If a person doesn't want to do facebook that's fine too... just don't act like a politician or a general ... or a sheep herder....and tell people they should or must do one or the other.

Being a member of a gregarious and social species does not mean we must all act like Lemmings and "beach ourselves upon command" and other ridiculus things. Imho Social Media is being used now for that exact purpose and I consider it dangerous in a big picture sort of way. Human's have free will and I choose to excercise my own and keep my own.

Now if you can not comprehend why some of us find social media dangerous and objectionable... then that's OK too. Just give each of us the right of free will that belongs to us to say no for our own selves and our involvement. Thank you.

Edited by Kyrmius