Sign in to follow this  
irobotnik8

Animal Suggestions

I have a few animal-related suggestions.

1. Pigs, cows, etc. can swim IRL. Why can't they swim in-game? This should be fixed. Lots of transactions cannot occur because these animals can't cross large channels to island areas or secluded areas.

2. Predatory animals/monsters should be able to eat other animals. If a wild (un-tame) predatory animal becomes hungry, it should attack another animal (tame/un-tame, wild or bred, just whatever is closeby). The two animals would then fight. If the winner is the hungry animal, it will consume the weaker animal. The consumed animal should leave behind an empty, "butchered" corpse that uses its standard butchered-corpse model. The predatory animal would then no longer be hungry. If the winner is not the hungry animal, then the corpse would be left there as if a player killed it and left it there. Certain species (trolls, spiders, etc.) should be cannibalistic.

3. Predatory animals should feed on unbutchered corpses. This ties into the previous suggestion. If the winner of the fight scenario mentioned in the previous suggestion were a non-hungry carnivorous animal, it would leave the corpse laying there. If the corpse were in a 10-tile range when the animal became hungry again, it would walk over to the corpse and consume it, leaving behind the same butchered-corpse model. I understand that it would be rather difficult to make the game distinguish between carrion-feeders and regular predatory animals, or between starving animals and hungry animals, so I won't suggest that now.

4. Animals should be able to be led across servers. Enough said about that one.

More suggestions soon.

Edited by irobotnik8

1 - fine for now, but eventually a way to load animals on ships would be great.

2 - hell no. Imagine the strain this would put on the servers... (memories of animals auto-breeding)

3 - carnivores alreay butcher corpses to feed from them.

Edited by Alyeska

2 - hell no. Imagine the strain this would put on the servers... (memories of animals auto-breeding)

o the memories and the hunting :P

For this to work, animals need code for "finding" each other. This was used in the past when Rolf was looking into breeding as a complement to spawnpoints, but the extra AI calculations bogged down the server so much it had to be removed. Maybe it's possible to do it some more efficient way but I doubt Rolf is in a hurry to try.

Maybe they could set a ai statement that did not actively look for something to breed with, but instead rather make it were if the animal is within a certain amount of tiles of another animal then the breed/ kill I would take effect. This way you do not have the huge overhead of constant ai pathing.

2. Predatory animals/monsters should be able to eat other animals. If a wild (un-tame) predatory animal becomes hungry, it should attack another animal.

No. This will hurt both noobs and veterans alike. No low level animals for fight skill or weaponskill, or easy meat, and so forth. Or even high level animals killing each other making grinding fight skill hard because there's nothing left alive.

(1)Yes, it would be much easier to have those animals go across water

(2)No, because this would mean the chances of finding starving animals and lower level animals would greatly diminish

(3)No, because there are plenty of animals that get killed on the edge of my deed and it is a good source of meat and other butchering products when I don't have the ability to go out and hunt things on my own

(4)Mostly yes, because I don't move animals across the servers but I do know many people that would prob. like to be able to do that

Overall, as long as the only implementation would be for more animals to swim and them to be able to be taken across boarders. Not the eating and butchering of other corpses -1 +1

My deed mayor Webbler and I were chatting about moving animals across servers..

Also about being able to load a large cart on certain size ships ( Rowboats and sailboats = no)

Be nice if we had to go to another server we could bring a large cart and animals.. Bigger the ship size more u could haul up to a max of 4 animals and 2x large carts.

Now I know somebody is going to want to use the large carts to carry more stuff with rafts and such but either have it where they take up cargo = to the amount of rafts they can carry (7) or have it where nothing can be in the cart at all..

Animals could also take up normal cargo area.

I think the only problem i could forsee is getting unicorns out of a ship with the water tile restrictions.

Just think we could have race tracks on every server and people could bring teams over with maxed stats and gear.

Could have a natural only race

Natural + horseshoes no woa

Natural+ horshoes and Saddle no woa

Natural + horshoes + woa Saddle no woa

FULL TILT anything goes.

I dont know but I think that would be fun as well :)

Could also have cart races with tall slopes and lots of corners.. Better fix the current lag first me thinks

Edited by puncher
  • Like 1

That would be pretty cool. Why don't we have races like that now, just independently on servers?

another suggestion: how bout the least aggressive animals spawn around the noob starting points? i know at Tap Dance, u dont have to go far to run into spiders/bears..

That would be pretty cool. Why don't we have races like that now, just independently on servers?

We had horse races, and cow races, at the summer festival on independence.

As to the OP, option (4) isn't allowed at the moment because each server has an individual critter count limit and so you would be messing with that by moving animals around (things would spawn less on the server you took a load of animals to).

I have no problem with (1) non-swimming animals being able to swim, though I live on an island (maple island) it's not really an issue for me because it's big enough to find a pair of each animal. The fact that I'm considering building a land-bridge might be an indication that I would find this useful (but not necessary).

As MrGary and shrimpiie said, (2) doesn't work because you just end up with a server full of the toughest mobs.

(3) could work if you didn't make it affect their pathing (so they just fed from an unbutchered corpse if it happens to walk across it). If this got rid of the corpse as well, we haven't added much burden to the server and we're reducing the number of random corpses lying around.