Sign in to follow this  
Jarosz

How Much Would It Cost To Get A Personal/joint Leased Server?

Providing the playerbase with information on the tools we have to detect macroers etc is not something that will happen.

Note, this is just a comment to that line, not abotu the overall topic.

While the server keeps private and no leaks on public servers i don´t see any razon at all to provide private gms with any of such tool, in fact the owner of such a server maybe want the server to be a macro/bot allowing server.

Salu2.

-1, alot of the fun of wurm is not knowing all the details of the came. discovery being something that moves the game along. private servers would kinda ruin that.

What works on FPS doesn't work on MMORPGs, least of that on something like wurm, where players need to spend many hours to complete small achievements.

No way Rolf would hand some guy rule over a server, so as to mess up what little good rep Wurm has. This is a Permanent World game, so it needs permanent servers that work, for the best part, for as long as the game itself does, not something that sways on the whims of a single PLAYER.

As it happens in those games you mentioned, there's plenty of feedback on abuse by Server Admins that kick random players so that their team wins, or to favor their friends.

• Like 2

What works on FPS doesn't work on MMORPGs, least of that on something like wurm, where players need to spend many hours to complete small achievements.

No way Rolf would hand some guy rule over a server, so as to mess up what little good rep Wurm has. This is a Permanent World game, so it needs permanent servers that work, for the best part, for as long as the game itself does, not something that sways on the whims of a single PLAYER.

As it happens in those games you mentioned, there's plenty of feedback on abuse by Server Admins that kick random players so that their team wins, or to favor their friends.

Edited by Jarosz

You're assuming i'm assuming stuff, and for that, this is the only answer you'll get, re-read my post.

Also, stop dreaming, this will never happen, its not even in the top million best ideas for wurm.

You're assuming i'm assuming stuff, and for that, this is the only answer you'll get, re-read my post.

Also, stop dreaming, this will never happen, its not even in the top million best ideas for wurm.

Then please explain how you came to your conclusions which I can only see as short sited assumptions of what you know best for the game... much like this idea is an assumption that would put a lot of money in Rolf's company for better/faster development. Both are assumptions, but I have spent a few long tl;dr replies explaining how I came to the conclusion I did. Better yet, you read the last 3 pages and then reply. :)

there are a few people who have replied here that think it is a good idea, and hundreds of players who have quit playing and paying attention to the forums that would think it was a good idea. That is the whole point of this topic, the group/community that find the current rule book fun, are against change and for that, the community stays relatively small with shorts bursts of interest... when do those occur?? when a new map starts... go figure.

Then please explain how you came to your conclusions which I can only see as short sited assumptions of what you know best for the game... much like this idea is an assumption that would put a lot of money in Rolf's company for better/faster development. Both are assumptions, but I have spent a few long tl;dr replies explaining how I came to the conclusion I did. Better yet, you read the last 3 pages and then reply. :)

there are a few people who have replied here that think it is a good idea, and hundreds of players who have quit playing and paying attention to the forums that would think it was a good idea. That is the whole point of this topic, the group/community that find the current rule book fun, are against change and for that, the community stays relatively small with shorts bursts of interest... when do those occur?? when a new map starts... go figure.

Underlined one point of interest. How on earth do you KNOW there are hundreds who quit, no longer watch the forums, but think YOUR idea is a good one? That is a huge assumption on your part.

And the ONLY way private servers would work would be if they were totally isolated from the public servers, both in skills and in goods produced. No way I'm going to deal with someone skilling and crafting on his own private server, and the PVP servers would just gang up on you if you ever showed up, they hate skilling up in safety more than I do. That makes your idea quite costly, as the cost of setting up a private server would be too high, monthly fees would be much higher than 5E per player, and you would only have your private players for a market or as competition. Overall it would be a short lived server and would take players from the public game, giving them the wrong idea of the game. I see no positive effect from private servers. You see the possible positives, but human nature makes those ideals at best, and not really achieveable.

• Like 1

Underlined one point of interest. How on earth do you KNOW there are hundreds who quit, no longer watch the forums, but think YOUR idea is a good one? That is a huge assumption on your part.

And the ONLY way private servers would work would be if they were totally isolated from the public servers, both in skills and in goods produced. No way I'm going to deal with someone skilling and crafting on his own private server, and the PVP servers would just gang up on you if you ever showed up, they hate skilling up in safety more than I do. That makes your idea quite costly, as the cost of setting up a private server would be too high, monthly fees would be much higher than 5E per player, and you would only have your private players for a market or as competition. Overall it would be a short lived server and would take players from the public game, giving them the wrong idea of the game. I see no positive effect from private servers. You see the possible positives, but human nature makes those ideals at best, and not really achieveable.

Like I said, mine are assumptions. I am assuming with different options 4chan and facepunch groups would have at least stayed around playing wurm by their own rules. I am also assuming, any players connecting to the private servers would only pay the normal 5E a month. As a Renter would be footing the bill for the server cost to rent. You don't have to buy a server to rent a server. in fact servers are getting rather cheap to rent these days and the quality of them continually goes up. Funny how supply and demand works.

Did you ever think that maybe a large group of "survivalist" players would enjoy a server that only stuck around for 6 months and reset? That a large part of the Wurm community enjoys exploring more than digging/mining/grinding?

For the most part, many players want a reset game mechanic, or an end game if you will. But, thats just my 8-9 years of playing/forum lurking. Many suggestions in the suggestion area of the forums could never be implemented in Rolf's version of wurm, however, could very well be obtainable on private servers.

If private servers fail in the first few months, that is just money in Rolf's pocket. Just like a person subing for a month and in 2 weeks deciding they don't like wurm in its current state. No harm to the "devote" community, just more money for dev.

I think the current community is just scared that they will lose control of what they have, that the lower skilled players would rather be on equal footing in a new server than come into a pre-existing mafia/cartel controlled economy. Some people don't want to invest in a map for 2 years, or be part of a PVP server where real world money wins the game even thought there is no end game.

If there are people who enjoy these things, they will naturally go to servers where the rules say "you will never lose your skills and there will never be a map reset."

more options means better tailoring means more players. Even if they are spread out, the game would have more funding, more testing of different features etc. People will go where their interests in gaming are. Hence my entire argument of the Wurm Engine/sandbox being limitless in opportunity.... That is not an assumption.

Maybe, MAYBE, if this were a large company with a full staff they could set up private servers. But this is a small 1 man company with a paid staff of less than 12 people, and an unpaid staff for ingame issues. The software is still buggy and tends to get lag or lock up completely. When you talk about low cost, you only think about the cost of renting servers. You are not taking into account the staff needed to maintain those servers and update them. I'm sure if you were paying for a private server you would expect any issues to be resolved immediately if not sooner. And you would expect the private server to be kept up to date programming with the public game. Rolf and the current staff have a hard enough time keeping the public game going now, imagine the problems with private servers to deal with too. Code Club just can't afford to make those changes now, and I doubt they ever will.

You'd think people be happy with this what with all the people that are always complaining about others on Freedom. :P

Maybe, MAYBE, if this were a large company with a full staff they could set up private servers. But this is a small 1 man company with a paid staff of less than 12 people, and an unpaid staff for ingame issues. The software is still buggy and tends to get lag or lock up completely. When you talk about low cost, you only think about the cost of renting servers. You are not taking into account the staff needed to maintain those servers and update them. I'm sure if you were paying for a private server you would expect any issues to be resolved immediately if not sooner. And you would expect the private server to be kept up to date programming with the public game. Rolf and the current staff have a hard enough time keeping the public game going now, imagine the problems with private servers to deal with too. Code Club just can't afford to make those changes now, and I doubt they ever will.

Thats the other reason for the post... just how much would it cost? Once you find a few 3rd party server hosts who specialize in offering programming updates and host services with arguable better turn around time compared to current Wurm down time... The idea is to get it out there, the best server hosts will arguably host the most servers... as much as I hate the term "free market" when it comes to games/technology, it holds true. You find the best host, which for people in Australia won't necessarily be the best to have a host in Texas.

More money = more support. We can't support more moderation/dev because the money isn't there. But continually saying any money making move is bad because we don't have the money... Thats like saying, "don't invest... ever... bad things happen to all investments... always!" Rolf wouldn't be making the financial investment. THE RENTER would. Rolf just has to let them make the risk and put their money on the line, which a portion ultimately goes to supporting Rolf. Any premium players who venture to these servers will also be paying Rolf.

It boils down to, more money for Rolf if he takes a bit of a risk to let someone else take all the risk.

Thats the other reason for the post... just how much would it cost? Once you find a few 3rd party server hosts who specialize in offering programming updates and host services with arguable better turn around time compared to current Wurm down time... The idea is to get it out there, the best server hosts will arguably host the most servers... as much as I hate the term "free market" when it comes to games/technology, it holds true. You find the best host, which for people in Australia won't necessarily be the best to have a host in Texas.

More money = more support. We can't support more moderation/dev because the money isn't there. But continually saying any money making move is bad because we don't have the money... Thats like saying, "don't invest... ever... bad things happen to all investments... always!" Rolf wouldn't be making the financial investment. THE RENTER would. Rolf just has to let them make the risk and put their money on the line, which a portion ultimately goes to supporting Rolf. Any premium players who venture to these servers will also be paying Rolf.

It boils down to, more money for Rolf if he takes a bit of a risk to let someone else take all the risk.

It's not just money. What I was trying to impress on you is the TIME involved in maintaining servers and the time maintaining the software. There is additional cost to that and you don't seem to think that is very much. At this point in time trying to maintain private servers AND public servers would be too much for this company to handle. Yes, you have to spend money to make money, but you need to have a realistic expectation of return before you invest.

So, you think about it for a while. You keep going on about how cheap it is to rent the hardware. A server may not cost much to rent, but you are talking about many, many private servers before the cost of the staff needed to maintain them would have Rolf just breaking even. He would not be able to push the cost on each private server all at once, he would need enough demand to pay for that staff and to break the cost across all the private servers. And then there is all the time involved in maintaining and updating the software, and dealing with exponentially more complaints. And don't try to tell me there would not be complaints, you would be paying for a private server, you would expect the server to run all the time and any issues that came up you would expect immediate response for what you would be paying, even to the point of getting service BEFORE the public servers are fixed. Rolf would also need to get long term commitments to pay for such private servers, no sense at all in renting servers for players who may get bored in 6 months and quit paying for the server.

This is a very small company, and I doubt many huge corporations try the business model you are suggesting, because the returns are so small. Rolf simply cannot afford to try it, not at this point. He needs to devote his time and money to the current business model, and get that properly profitable before even trying an idea like yours.

• Like 1

It's not just money. What I was trying to impress on you is the TIME involved in maintaining servers and the time maintaining the software. There is additional cost to that and you don't seem to think that is very much. At this point in time trying to maintain private servers AND public servers would be too much for this company to handle. Yes, you have to spend money to make money, but you need to have a realistic expectation of return before you invest.

So, you think about it for a while. You keep going on about how cheap it is to rent the hardware. A server may not cost much to rent, but you are talking about many, many private servers before the cost of the staff needed to maintain them would have Rolf just breaking even. He would not be able to push the cost on each private server all at once, he would need enough demand to pay for that staff and to break the cost across all the private servers. And then there is all the time involved in maintaining and updating the software, and dealing with exponentially more complaints. And don't try to tell me there would not be complaints, you would be paying for a private server, you would expect the server to run all the time and any issues that came up you would expect immediate response for what you would be paying, even to the point of getting service BEFORE the public servers are fixed. Rolf would also need to get long term commitments to pay for such private servers, no sense at all in renting servers for players who may get bored in 6 months and quit paying for the server.

This is a very small company, and I doubt many huge corporations try the business model you are suggesting, because the returns are so small. Rolf simply cannot afford to try it, not at this point. He needs to devote his time and money to the current business model, and get that properly profitable before even trying an idea like yours.

The Majority of those costs and time requirements fall between the Renter and the host provider... not Rolf and Co. Anything that is software related bugs would be handled in software releases between the Host and Rolf which can be automated as long as Rolf keeps up on routine software updates which he already does with his own servers. While there is the initial time constraints to setting up the legal/payment relationship between Rolf and the Hosts, after that, keeping the server up is between the Renter and the Hosts.

Rolf would not employ the hosts. Hence it being a "3rd" party. Rolf would allow the 3rd party host provider to host his Intellectual Property, IE Wurm Online. For instance, I do not complain to EA when my privately funded BF3 server goes down, which is clearly the fault of my Host provider which is a 3rd party. The price of keeping the server up is an agreed to cost between the Renter and the Hosts, not Rolf. However, Rolf might have some royalties go his way for letting the 3rd party server provider host his content on their hardware. Much like EA does with BF3 and other FPS games.

Rolf and Co would not have to staff these servers. Admin would be based on the Renter and his/her community that fund the server. Physical server maintenance work would also be based at the 3rd party company, not Rolf and Co.

EA does not staff any of the 3rd party servers that run their games. They simply provide the server software of the game to the hosts at a profit for them. Any issues with connectivity and performance would be pushed to the 3rd party host unless it is an actual software issue in which it would be put onto Rolf, which those issues already are.

The only real development hit would be in making a more robust login server to handle all the theoretical server connections, though I would assume this could be handled by making a web based server search window that they would have to login to through Wurmonline.com. AKA making it the only portal to ANY wurm online server. EA also has something similar with Origin and BF3.

You are making the mistake of assuming Rolf would allow someone else access to his code to run the game. I doubt that will ever happen, which is why he would need a staff to run it, even on a rented server. Besides, if you are paying Rolf for a private server, are you going to complain to the server company, or Rolf when something goes wrong? You'll complain to the person you are paying, no one else.

You are making the mistake of assuming Rolf would allow someone else access to his code to run the game. I doubt that will ever happen, which is why he would need a staff to run it, even on a rented server. Besides, if you are paying Rolf for a private server, are you going to complain to the server company, or Rolf when something goes wrong? You'll complain to the person you are paying, no one else.

You don't have to give the full code over to a 3rd party in order to allow them to host a game. Just server side functions. And the reason for Legal agreements to what extent the host can access the files etc. Much like Rolf has had before when using physical servers not owned by himself (I believe Beta servers were in Texas). If the 3rd party host, which has assets upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars, decided to infringe on his Intellectual Property, his lawyers could land him quite a nice settlement. I am not suggesting Rolf give out his code without a second thought, or to do it unregulated. And I would never suggest he let anyone and their mother host on their local machines... that would kill Wurm and all funding going to Rolf.

And, if I were to rent a server through a 3rd party legally sanctioned by Rolf, I would not be renting from Rolf. I would be renting from the 3rd party host with royalties going to Rolf. If my server is in Chicago, Rolf can't do much to bring it back online from Europe. I would complain directly to the 3rd party host. If the server hosts he chooses to lease content to are crap, I might argue a bit with Rolf about his choices... but ultimately customer/host relations stop with the Host.

and it is not a mistake to question if Rolf would ever do it. This isn't a thread demanding my assumptions. It is an inquiry. How much would it cost? Just so happens one must take into account all that would need to progress to allow for such a thing... but once in place, it is really just more funds to Rolf and Co. Because he wouldn't be maintaining the physical server health, nor having to restart every server, or even providing admin/moderators... That is all something a "clan" can do if they are able to run their own server. They could even look into 3rd party hack prevention like Punk Buster if they do not wish to divulge all of their GM tools.

I think the core problem remains, supporting this does fragment the community more. If the "official" GM team is not operating on these servers, and these servers have the ability to host a divergent rule set, the characters/content would not be able to interact with the main servers.

Now if you wanted to foot the bill for more official servers which supported the normal code base, I'd think about throwing a couple of euro behind that :lol: But this still wouldn't solve the problem of smaller active populations on the existing servers when the new server came online.

I think the core problem remains, supporting this does fragment the community more. If the "official" GM team is not operating on these servers, and these servers have the ability to host a divergent rule set, the characters/content would not be able to interact with the main servers.

Now if you wanted to foot the bill for more official servers which supported the normal code base, I'd think about throwing a couple of euro behind that :lol: But this still wouldn't solve the problem of smaller active populations on the existing servers when the new server came online.

once the mechanics are figured out, it wouldn't be too difficult. I am sure there would even be fully private servers running the official Wurm rule book in the future if it panned out. You could probably even have physical servers from different parts of the world connected together in the Wurm-iverse. People would go to the servers they had less lag on, but still have connection to the main public servers. (For public servers only, not the private ones... although i could see private servers forming into clusters as well... that would be pretty cool).

If you are worried that a lot of players would up and leave the current game to play by their own, or someone elses', rule book... it tells you something about the current rules.

Edited by Jarosz

Wall of text Warningâ„¢

If you are worried that a lot of players would up and leave the current game to play by their own, or someone elses', rule book... it tells you something about the current rules.

Yeah... It means that most people don't like to play by other's rules, unless it is a rule they like. :lol:

I agree, there is a potential benefit for a service option like this. Again though, the current community of players is too small for it to not impact the "core" servers in a negative manner.

Using your FPS example, there is a base set of rules expected to be in place even on "private" servers. Guns, tools, abilities, etc... available are expected to behave in a logic scale of progression. When you "shoot" another character, they should take damage in a logical fashion.

In an mmo style setting, especially one not "twitch" based and in a truly persistent world, modifying some of the "core" rules such as time to skill from 1.00 to 100.00, or materials needed to make an item or total resource to go through a full skill line, are constantly being evaluated.

Not just because keeping you playing longer means more long term money, but because you have to balance reward to investment.

Even in the MMO-shooters, such as Neocron, this balance is very important. Which makes "private" servers much more upkeep on the staff resource side

In a FPS, you have rounds where the world "resets" in some manner (yes, some games let you turn on infinite lives/no round end, but these get boring quickly and players move on to other servers for different gameplay). The core rules allow for variation and are built around this type of service model. You don't have this in a persistent world.

As someone else said, the expectation for the "core" rules on any server is that the core software would be updated and bugs (eventually at least) would be addressed. If you open this to custom rule sets, the dev team would need the ability to process bug fixes for your custom rules as well.

So lets look at some flat values (just to illustrate the point).

Lets assume it costs $200k a year for the core rules coding, network and CS support staff for the first server. Each additional server adds $20k (10-15% should be a safe rough average) a year for increased staff and support needs, since primary services are in-place and running.

Your privately funded server, which covers hardware cost/ basic network support, offsets, we'll be nice and say $10K(50% of the additional support cost)/server per year. If you don't ever want your core code updated, and bug associated to your custom rules fixed, there is no code support costs, so the $10K offset is a break even.

The additional server costs are just random numbers.. the server could be $1 or $100k, as long as the customers cover the server fees, and don't want any code support, it has no gain/loss for the parent company.

Now, your server rule set will eventually be out of date, no new content, and no bug fixes. And a PR nightmare.

So the Dev team has to establish support services.

• Would the server costs increase to cover these needs?
  • What percentage of the dev time is spent addressing custom server rule related bugs?
  • How often is this done?
  • How much of this is billed through to the customer?
  • When new content, graphics assets, etc.. are introduced, is this included or an extra service?

Then we get into where your private server DOES touch the core servers... login/account status/billing. So the "no additional support" becomes "oops.. there is additional support needed".

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

Even when Rolf had his servers hosted in the U.S. he was the only one to have access to them, albeit remote access, and it is the same now. That's what I mean when I say he will never let anyone have access to the code. And as Hussars has pointed out quite well, there is still a lot of support needed that you seem to want to ignore. Then there is the matter of scheduled maintenance and backing up the server, which Rolf is not going to let you do with his code either.

What we are trying to point out is there is a lot more to running a server than just setting it up and letting it run. The cost of the server alone would most likely be far more than a subscription to the game, and then there is all the cost of support/maintenance/updating of the software.

And remember also, the game has Rolf's name on it. If he lets someone run a private server and they handle things poorly, it would be a reflection on him, not them. How would you feel if someone took a product you made, misused it, and gave your company a bad name with the public that ruined your sales? He can't take that chance, and he won't.

• Like 1

I agree with Vroomfondel and Hussars. What would you do with a private server anyway? Attempt some minecraft like building projects? I don't know whats stopping you from doing that here. Could make for a very interesting community project.

I think they could come up with general custom categories. Custom rules might alter things like: action timers, skill gain rates, aggro CR, travel speed. And that is not just making it faster or easier. The map data is unique to each server, it controls rock to ore vein distribution and qualities.

$10k server costs per a year? Using this sites http://www.godaddy.c...ed-servers.aspx most expensive plan its about $3.2k. In addtion to this, I can see CodeClub charging a large setup fee, a monthly administration (no support, very basic) fee, and some kind of a royalty fee per user. I like the idea but financially it doesn't appear like it would work.

This is a popular question, "What would you do on one of these that you can't do now?". If it was an exact clone of the current game I'd agree its a waste of time. If we could customize that opens a new door. The customization would need to appeal to players who wouldn't normally play on the main production server. In short, offering a diversified product to try and attract different types of customers.

This is a popular question, "What would you do on one of these that you can't do now?". If it was an exact clone of the current game I'd agree its a waste of time. If we could customize that opens a new door. The customization would need to appeal to players who wouldn't normally play on the main production server. In short, offering a diversified product to try and attract different types of customers.

Indeed, and I think the more important question is would Rolf sanction such requests to alter HIS game. I'd like to think that he wouldn't support the idea of being boughtout to support the whims of everyone with private server ideas, but that's just me.

Indeed, and I think the more important question is would Rolf sanction such requests to alter HIS game. I'd like to think that he wouldn't support the idea of being boughtout to support the whims of everyone with private server ideas, but that's just me.

He wouldn't be bought out. and I like the total from the ### figures on server costs... To put it bluntly, a 24/7 FPS server with 24/7 maintanence support is about $30-50 a month.

What I don't get, is why you guys think a "private" server would be something totally different than Wurm. Or that it wouldn't be controlled by Rolf in a sense. It wouldn't be a separate business model, it would tie into Rolfs own premium sales. If you want a Premium account on ANY server related to wurm, you pay Rolf for that account. Rolf ultimately draws the limits to what rules could be tweaked, because YES he is the only developer right now and it would not be good for him to start writing code for a bunch of new game mechanics that destract him.

I do not see the change in rules creating such an issue that there would be bugs outside of the normal ones found in Wurm. Outside of discovering possible exploits, even if you changed the rate of skill increase you would not find many bugs related to it. But again, more revenue means more development and bug fixing. Would 10,000 servers tomorrow mean that no private server got their bugs fixed?? yes. Would 5 servers with maybe 10 bugs a year each be addressed, most likely. How many server royalties would it take to hire on more Devs? If each of those servers had 25-150 paying premium accounts, how many Devs could it hire on?

Lets say we do create a server that allows for faster skill gain and faster item creation... one of the main two reasons people never give Wurm a second glance... How many players do you think would be attracted to the Wurm-iverse? Is it a bad thing that they don't want to play a slower version?? What about a server where priests could actually do things? It was possible in Beta, so the code is still there to be a "rule" you could choose. In fact there are many tweaks in the system from Beta that could be introduced as "rules". All bug tested very well over the years. Rolf just decided that using silver/real money was great for upkeep and restricting "enchantment" characters "was good for the game" (in his opinion). Really it just meant more premium characters.

I could see Rolf charging maybe 50-100 Euro a month for a small Epic sized private server, and maybe 150-200 euro for a 16kmx16km map. You get 10 people running the larger maps, and you have 2k euro a month coming in that wouldn't have normally happened. Do you think 2k euro a month could pay for another Dev or even a few full time GM's?? I would hope so, but my figures are on the conservative side (I really doubt he would charge upwards of 500 euro a month). Believe me, there are people who would fund it, simply to get away from people they don't like in the community or just because they want to.

Or, lets just say a player wishes to invest in Wurm, and would foot the bill for 1 year of an Official map to be generated in their name. There are a few communities on here that would do it.

And finally, who is to say people wouldn't join a map that was not persistant? That only lasted a few months at a time?? Bump up the skill grind, encourage real PVP... people would love the tournament style of it. Yes, Wurm is great as a persitant map where projects that decades to complete... but again, the possibilities of the Wurm sandbox are limitless. And people will pay for the different types of scenarios others can come up with.

I think they could come up with general custom categories. Custom rules might alter things like: action timers, skill gain rates, aggro CR, travel speed. And that is not just making it faster or easier. The map data is unique to each server, it controls rock to ore vein distribution and qualities.

$10k server costs per a year? Using this sites http://www.godaddy.c...ed-servers.aspx most expensive plan its about $3.2k. In addtion to this, I can see CodeClub charging a large setup fee, a monthly administration (no support, very basic) fee, and some kind of a royalty fee per user. I like the idea but financially it doesn't appear like it would work.

Since you missed it the first time, I know it was a lot of text, hence the Wall of Textâ„¢ warning, again:

The additional server costs are just random numbers.. the server could be $1 or $100k, as long as the customers cover the server fees, and don't want any code support, it has no gain/loss for the parent company.

He wouldn't be bought out. and I like the total from the ### figures on server costs... To put it bluntly, a 24/7 FPS server with 24/7 maintanence support is about $30-50 a month.

Actually, using the previously provided link http://www.godaddy.c...ed-hosting.aspx

If you go with the largest dataplan with 20tb/mo included, for every 10tb of data transfer per month, is another $400 (which is the best price from this vendor). Also, look at things like backup/recovery options and other support items

Now at these data rates for JUST the Celebration server (ratings are in Bytes per SECOND). So that "out the ### number" is actually a lot closer than you may want to admit.

The difference between the FPS servers (even with voip service) are dedicated streamlined services running code optimized for a stand alone server. A service that does not need to worry about things like large scale stability or dedicated hardware (most of those FPS servers are running on a VM solution or are distributed over a VERY large system array), and are hosting at best 64 players per game. So you'd need 4-5x the number of servers just host the equivalent to a HotA event. Rolf has already said there is a dedicated server just for the item database (mentioned when the "item creator tag" corruption occurred.)

So "to put it bluntly", you have proven you have no idea what the infrastructure or support needs are or the scope/scale of the details of running a "real" server array.

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 3