Sign in to follow this  
Norseman

Opengl Driver Losing Connecting Due To The Time-Out Limit *fixed*

Hello,

I've had this problem for a long time now and I think it's time to ask for help. i've tried many things to get rid of this problem but it all failed in vain...

So if anybody could help me with this i'd greatly appreciate it!

It happens quite frequently. sometimes 20 minutes into the game, sometimes 5 minutes. it's VERY annoying.

The error:

"The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue."

I'm redirected to this site: http://nvidia.custhe...etail/a_id/3007

I've tried the first option "Reduce the graphics workload if possible, such as rendering to a lower resolution or with less detail." - but That doesn't help.

I haven't tried the second option because i'm not sure how i should do it..

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Norseman

Try this link: http://support.micro....com/kb/2665946

On that page, Miicrosoft includes a handy newbie friendly "FIX IT FOR ME" button you can click so that you don't have to do any fidgeting around with registry settings yourself. Isn't that nice!

----------------------

Geeky people can proceed direct to the "LET ME FIX IT MYSELF" section since they are probably more comfortable with registry changes:

Let me fix it myself

Exit all Windows based programs.

Click Start, type regedit in the Search box, and then double-click regedit.exe from the results above. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Browse to and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\GraphicsDrivers

On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit):

For 32 bit Windows

Select DWORD (32-bit) value.

Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.

Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and click OK.

For 64 bit Windows

Select QWORD (64-bit) value.

Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.

Double-click TdrDelay and add 8 for the Value data and clickOK.

Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

--------------

Also, sometimes it helps to turn off all the unnecessary desktop bells and whistles, AERO effects etc -- this part is good for anyone who may be overtaxing their video:

Method 3: Investigate possible issues with visual effects or background programs

Having multiple programs, browser windows, or email messages open at the same time can use up memory, and cause performance issues. Try closing any programs and windows that you are not using.

You can also adjust your PC for better performance by disabling some of the visual effects. Here’s how to adjust all visual effects for best performance:

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.

Click Adjust visual effects, if you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK.

Note: For a less drastic option, select Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer).

((** I recommend personally the "ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE" option if you are having issues with games and don;t care so much about pretty desktop effects, otherwise Windows will probably keep most of the unnecessary "frills" intact))

Also -- if possible check the date of your current display driver -- if it is older than 6-12 months old, an outdated driver may be the issue. Sometimes Windows claims your drivers are up to date when they really aren't, so check the driver date just to make sure you are not running with drivers from 2009 or something.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Hey, thanks for helping me out here, but sadly this didn't work out for me :/

I still receive the error. I'm not sure what to do.. the graphics are even on medium even though my GTX 580 should be able to handle everything on high without lag...

Got any ideas? :/

*EDIT*

I've also got a similar crash which tells me like: "NVIDIA windows Kernel Mode driver, version 306.97 stopped answering and is recovered"

I've just updated all my drivers but still crashing regularly...

Edited by Norseman

Maybe check this thread also then:

http://answers.micro...0f-e11eed671a37

As you can see, it might not even be the graphics driver itself at fault, but a BIOS setting in memory modules or overclocking in the system, some conflicting software running in the background, many other things can trigger the error (making it really hard to solve)

After trying various fixes i've found that (so far) i've been avoiding crashes where i would else have gotten 10 crashes if you estimated the time between each crash.

As stated before I've got a GTX 580.

What i did was that i downloaded "EVGA Precision" which is a GPU monitoring program which can modify the GPU (graphics card) voltage including other things. What i did was i checked what my voltage was and it was at default 1001 mV.

I changed that through the program to go up to 1025mV. and now i haven't gotten the crashes i used to!

I hope this can help others too with the same problems!

Ah good, I saw with the 560s he was saying that boosting voltage to 1.025V seemed to help, so glad to hear that was what seems to work for your 580 also.

With the 500 series some of the factory OC'd cards were not running stable with the stock voltage. I have read of one instance of this problem with the 600 series factory OC's as well (a review).
You can tweak the gpu voltage up with the EVGA or MSI Afterburner overclocking programs (I'm assuming all factory OC cards are unlocked). I don't know the voltage used on your card,
but the 560's use 1.012v default and all it takes for most is a bump up to 1.025v to achieve stability. Don't boost the voltage any higher than you have to.

Bumping this in the hopes of this may help others if they have the same problems! :)

i have this issue happening on my gtx570 and I can't fix it even after doing everything suggested. I have no issue though running wurm on a 260gtx. So i just switch to that when playing wurm.

Its something with newest nvidia drivers, because it started about 2 months ago.

Edited by Ascorbic