Sign in to follow this  
Guest Khalid

Limit what slope animals can climb

I think this is a pretty serious issue. With all the monsters (especially on MR-H) up steep mountains, it gets difficult to hunt. Maybe have a limit on certain animals on what they can climb. Spiders are a little different, because spiders can crawl along a roof and not fall. Rats can also be quite the climbers, along with all types of cat (wildcat and mountain lion) But a crocoile or a bipedal creature like a troll on a vertical slope is just rediculous. I know it's made so you can't climb to get away from a monster, but isn't that a good idea? I made up a scale for which animals should climb the best to the animals that climb the worst. I don't have actual slope numbers in because I have no idea what would be reasonable.

1) Spider - For obvious reasons.

2) Wildcat and Mountain Lion - Felines of all sorts are great climbers.

3) Deer and Unicorn - Deer can leap great heights and move very quickly up steep slopes. I imagine Unis would be the same.

4) Goblin - Goblins seem small and wiry enough to haul themselves up steep cliffs.

5) Boar - A Boar's stout legs and low stature are good for climbing steep hills, but not a cliff or mountain.

6) Troll - They seem pretty muscular and I imagine they have great endurance. Climbing steep hills would work, but their heavy build would make it difficult to climb cliffs.

7) Hyena - Hyena's are fast creatures, and could probably go uphill very fast.

8) Bear - A bear has drastically shorter legs in the front than the back, making them absolutely horrid climbers.

9) Crickeydiles - Crocodiles are low to the ground and have 4 short legs. Natures way of saying "No soup for you" when it comes to climbing. A steep slope of 1 tile may be traversable if there is a system in play to limit this sort of movement.

It looks like half the animals there you justified why they can climb. I think that they should only climb when chasing prey.

It looks like half the animals there you justified why they can climb. I think that they should only climb when chasing prey.

Yes, but they shouldn't climb near vertical slopes with the exception of spiders. Maybe they could make mountain top lairs where many spiders convene and spawn, making new "Web" tiles that could be burned, making something similar to a lava tile for a short period.

Bears are actually good climbers. Horses, not so much. Maybe research some more. :)

I've been thinking about this also. A cow on a 100 slope cliff?  The slope they can climb should be based on animal type.  spiders maybe limit to 80, mountain animals such as the mountain lion or grilla limit to around 60. Farm animals like cows should be 20-30 max. The exception would be when leading an animal.

Cows should not be able to go downhill  ;D

Bears are actually good climbers. Horses, not so much. Maybe research some more. :)

Bears climb trees. Not hills. I know about bears. Horses can climb hills. Ever seen a wild mustang?

I agree that animals should have some kind of Climbing limiter. However the devs would need to becareful how they implement this or people will simply make pits all over for aniamals to get stuck in. Maybe base the limiter on several surrounding tiles and the occurance of rock or cliff tiles. This way a pit trap would be more difficult to design and animals could still travel about a hillside without simply getting stuck in either a player made or natural pit.

I like the idea of certain types being able to climb better and would add to this that the older an animal is, the better it could climb. This would allow higher skilled fighters an opportunity to hunt stronger prey through rougher terrian.

I would also like to see more crocs (or other swimming creatures) in the water. with the availablility of boats now, people should have more reason to fear the water in such a way that a boat is nearly a need rather then a luxury. and if a croc had very poor climbing skill at waters edge then they would eventualy fill the lakes.

animals already often stop and deed lines, and animals that can't swim stop at the water. So why can't they stop when they get to  something too steep for them?

I agree that animals should have some kind of Climbing limiter. However the devs would need to becareful how they implement this or people will simply make pits all over for aniamals to get stuck in. Maybe base the limiter on several surrounding tiles and the occurance of rock or cliff tiles. This way a pit trap would be more difficult to design and animals could still travel about a hillside without simply getting stuck in either a player made or natural pit.

They could just design it so that the animals can't go up OR down any slope over a certain number. Then they would stop when they reach the top of a cliff, just like rl animals. Except lemurs :D

They could just design it so that the animals can't go up OR down any slope over a certain number. Then they would stop when they reach the top of a cliff, just like rl animals. Except lemurs :D

I want bears in trees, ninja bears would rawk.

This would be even better:

BearCavalry.png